X

Bike won't start after carb cleaning

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jman2343 View Post
    Also in some cases depending how much raw fuel has gone in, the bike will start to crank faster as the fuel coats the walls of the cylinder and takes out compression. And it gets into the oil.
    This is an example of reading a service manual while suffering a dyslexic bout.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
      This is an example of reading a service manual while suffering a dyslexic bout.
      Do you talk to people like this in person or only hiding behind a computer.

Your always quick to try to put someone down arsenic, if you think my info is not correct, you can ignor it or just correct it. I didn't say I'm 100% or this is the answer that will fix the problem, it was a suggestion... That is all. I don't find the later half of your comment funny because I do suffer from that and spelling issues, but in your mind that must make me an idiot all together correct?

Now, this did not come from a service manual, this came from what I've encountered in my work as an automotive tech. Also have done it to my own Katana. I'm not talking about the carbs overflowing, as im sure the other user is thinking when I say raw fuel. As fuel keeps being added and not fired in the chamber it will start to coat the cylinder walls and yes can take out compression if it becomes excessive. flooded engine? I don't mean flooded like your whole crankcase is filled with fuel.

There has been more than a few times at work that I have to add a small amount of oil to little 4 bangers that have been cranked to no avail, because of the missing spark and fuel flooded, even after restoring spark they crank fast because the cylinder has been washed down with fuel. And compression lost, which dropping alittle oil in each sparkplug hole, will help restore compress and fire the engine, smokes like a ******* for alittle bit.

1 year ago I got my Katana from the widow of my best friend, the bike sat for years, I knew nothing about it, or even how to ride. In that time I've restored the bike to almost factory, and have about 2000 miles ive put on it. I've read, invested time, money, sweat, tools, heart. So my point to all this, don't just assume you know something about someone, truth is you don't. Just sandblast your carbs and keep your condescending comment to yourself.
      Last edited by Jman2343; 10-31-2011, 08:56 PM.

Comment

Type BST33SS
        Main jets 112.5
        Main air jet 0.5 mm
        Jet needle
        California 5F105
        Except California 5F104
        Needle jet P-2
        Pilot jet 32.5
        Pilot air jet
        California 1.45 mm
        Except California 1.55 mm
        Starter jet 35
        Float height 14.6 +/-1 mm (0.57 +/- 0.04 inch)
        Fuel Screws 1.5 Turns out from stop

What are the millimeter and other measurements for? Well besides the float height

Comment

Originally posted by 05RedKat600 View Post
          The part in bold is not true. In fact, just the opposite happens as the raw fuel builds up and isn't evacuated like exhaust gases. That's how you hydrolock.

Fuel on the cylinder walls won't take out compression.
          It's not false either.... It could happen, and have had it happen to both motorcycle and autos....

Comment

Do you talk to people like this in person or only hiding behind a computer.

Your always quick to try to put someone down arsenic, if you think my info is not correct, you can ignor it or just correct it. I didn't say I'm 100% or this is the answer that will fix the problem, it was a suggestion... That is all. I don't find the later half of your comment funny because I do suffer from that and spelling issues, but in your mind that must make me an idiot all together correct?

Now, this did not come from a service manual, this came from what I've encountered in my work as an automotive tech. Also have done it to my own Katana. I'm not talking about the carbs overflowing, as im sure the other user is thinking when I say raw fuel. As fuel keeps being added and not fired in the chamber it will start to coat the cylinder walls and yes can take out compression if it becomes excessive. flooded engine? I don't mean flooded like your whole crankcase is filled with fuel.

There has been more than a few times at work that I have to add a small amount of oil to little 4 bangers that have been cranked to no avail, because of the missing spark and fuel flooded, even after restoring spark they crank fast because the cylinder has been washed down with fuel. And compression lost, which dropping alittle oil in each sparkplug hole, will help restore compress and fire the engine, smokes like a ******* for alittle bit.

1 year ago I got my Katana from the widow of my best friend, the bike sat for years, I knew nothing about it, or even how to ride. In that time I've restored the bike to almost factory, and have about 2000 miles ive put on it. I've read, invested time, money, sweat, tools, heart. So my point to all this, don't just assume you know something about someone, truth is you don't. Just sandblast your carbs and keep your condescending comment to yourself.
            No, I don't talk to people like that face to face. However, bet your azz if I ever meet YOU I sure would. I understand it was a suggestion. That doesn't make it right, useful, or sensible. No, that doesn't make you an idiot, it just confirms my comment. I tend not to post things I've done backasswards, you should try that. I know everything I need to know about YOU. I don't use sand, I use glass bead, carry on.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
              No, I don't talk to people like that face to face. However, bet your azz if I ever meet YOU I sure would. I understand it was a suggestion. That doesn't make it right, useful, or sensible. No, that doesn't make you an idiot, it just confirms my comment. I tend not to post things I've done backasswards, you should try that. I know everything I need to know about YOU. I don't use sand, I use glass bead, carry on.
              You fail to really even prove any point. You have lots of post, and lots of them are just you being you I guess, belittle and berate users. Crying how many times you said this and that, if it bothers you don't post... Its almost like you have nothing really better to do. Atleast my post had an attempt at helping. If your going to correct do so, if you need to try to cut someone down in the process, then you must have underlying issues.
              It was just some random stuff that came to mind, if you haven't seen it happen oh well, it has, it can.

You don't know jack about me, other than I will stand up to a little punk.

Yes the process is sandblasting, or did you find a glass bead blaster? Because the guy sold you glass bead media with it... Go use your glass bead blaster and blast your carbs. Is that better?

Comment

You fail to really even prove any point. You have lots of post, and lots of them are just you being you I guess, belittle and berate users. Crying how many times you said this and that, if it bothers you don't post... Its almost like you have nothing really better to do. Atleast my post had an attempt at helping. If your going to correct do so, if you need to try to cut someone down in the process, then you must have underlying issues.
                It was just some random stuff that came to mind, if you haven't seen it happen oh well, it has, it can.

You don't know jack about me, other than I will stand up to a little punk.

Yes the process is sandblasting, or did you find a glass bead blaster? Because the guy sold you glass bead media with it... Go use your glass bead blaster and blast your carbs. Is that better?
                You must work at one of those quick change oil change places.

Replace float needles, reset to factory specs, done.
                90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                Originally posted by soulless kaos
                but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by zenxr View Post
                  Type BST33SS
                  Main jets 112.5
                  Main air jet 0.5 mm
                  Jet needle
                  California 5F105
                  Except California 5F104
                  Needle jet P-2
                  Pilot jet 32.5
                  Pilot air jet
                  California 1.45 mm
                  Except California 1.55 mm
                  Starter jet 35
                  Float height 14.6 +/-1 mm (0.57 +/- 0.04 inch)

What are the millimeter and other measurements for? Well besides the float height
                  Specs. Only adjustment you can make is float hight, A/F, sync, and idle. Anything else would require changing jet size and what not.

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
                  You must work at one of those quick change oil change places.

Replace float needles, reset to factory specs, done.
                  Lol yup. Even own a snap-on scanner, and vantage pro, because good oil techs need that. I'm done, poor guy can't get a word in if this is going to turn into a big wizzing post. Anyone can PM me if they want to take a stab at some jokes or whatever they need to say to me. Even give you my number if you feel the need to call me and say whatever you like too.

I like that by the way, replace float needles, reset to factory specs, done?? Just like that eh. Very impressive, diag a bike that isn't infront of you and know what to do just like that.
                  Last edited by Jman2343; 10-31-2011, 10:39 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Fuel screw 2.5 turns out. Factory is 1.75 turns out (not sure about California) and that's too lean. Go for 2.5.
                    Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                    HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

They ARE at 2.5 :repost

Comment

Originally posted by zenxr View Post

Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                        HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
                          I've suggested that get corrected but no joy. The mod who put it up there isn't interested in changing it even though we keep having to add footnotes stating that 1.75 turns out is the stock setting and is too lean. Go with 2.5 and you're GTG unless you're running at high altitude in which case you need about 2.25.

Frustrating...

If that's the case then check for voltage at the coils and spark at the plugs. Kats don't like a weak spark. They also don't like it when you install the plug wires in the wrong order. Look for the labels on each plug wire.
                          Yeah, you mean me? Carbs 101 is designed to set the carbs back to stock settings, aka "what they were from the factory"

There is also a carb tuning page that suggests the change to 2.5 http://katriders.com/wiki/index.php5...buretor_Tuning

Chris, be nice. We talked about this the other day.
                          Last edited by steves; 11-01-2011, 06:19 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                          -Steve

sigpic
                          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                          Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

The bike still will not start.. I've tried starter fluid w/ the carbs + airbox on, the same situation without starter fluid, and even tried start fluid straight into intake. Also went through the carbs again.. I'm beginning to think it's compression issue. Does anyone know of a cheap way to get an adapter for a regular compression tester that fits the kat spark plug? NGK cr9ek. Also, any other ideas? I'm really lost here..

Edit; Spark on all 4 plugs.

Comment

If it wont start on starting fluid, either your timing is off or you arent getting good enough spark.

Struggling with this same issue myself.
                              90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                              I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                              Originally posted by soulless kaos
                              but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Thanks for the reply scotty

The spark seemed good enough? Looked white in color. If water was inside of the spark plug well, would that cause all this?

I dont think its the timing because the bike was running just a week ago and I haven't went into the top end..

Comment

Working...
                                X