No announcement yet.
X

The Dark Side! Any thoughts on Buell?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

saw a 2008 buell - 1125 white with blue rims ..15,000 miles clean for $5,800 on craigs list two days ago

Comment

Originally posted by HemiKat View Post
      They have self adjusting hydraulic valves... never need adjusting. Another reason I want one.
      The 1125R still needs valve adjusting, and yes you have to drop the engine to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by freight dog View Post
        The 1125R still needs valve adjusting, and yes you have to drop the engine to do it.
        You don't have to drop, it just a little rotation. And from what I've read, it is a bloody nightmare. The only good thing it has going for it on the valve adjustment front, is that you don't have to remove the cams to do it.
        Pics
        Pics
        No pics yet
        Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

That's right, you do just have to rotate it. I've read of people doing it at home and it is like a 2 day job the first time. Even HD techs have taken 8 hours or so on their first one.

I test rode two 1125Rs. I really wanted to love this bike, but I just can't see myself getting one. It handles nicely, is comfortable, and the power is great. It is comparable to a GSXR750 in porformance, and while not quite as comfortable as a Katana, it is more "tour" oriented than most sportbikes.

My biggest issue was the frame heat. After 20 minutes in traffic, at anything above 70-75 degrees out, the damn thing becomes unbearably hot. It is like driving a V8 Mustang in the summer with the heat on full. Not fun at all. It is probably not so bad on the highway, but I live in a suburban hell with 35 mph streets forever and lots of traffic.

The other complaint I have is some of the design ideas. I am all for innovation, and I like low exhausts and the idea of fuel in the frame for weight savings is clever. However, two radiators are always going to weigh more than one to do the same job. Also, mounting them high on the pods moves a lot of weight higher up on the bike. This increases the inertia a rider must overcome in quick side to side transitions, making the bike feel heavier in steering, despite the shorter wheelbase (although it does turn much nicer than a Katana). I would rather have a Ducati length wheelbase, on a light bike that transitions more easily like a Ducati. Furthermore, with all the gimmicky weight saving ideas, the thing is still a porker, weighing as much wet as a new R1, which is the heaviest liter bike this year. I won't even start on the reliability issues. Suffice it to say, nearly every 1125 owner has had reliability issues. Most deal with it, or it is minor like weeping clutch covers or shorting out turn signals. But a large number, maybe 20%, seem to have their bikes spend weeks or months in the shop dealing with various issues that brand new bikes shouldn't have.

Comment

I've demo'ed Buells for about the last 3 years. Rode 900, 1200, and Blast. Each time, came away thinking, hmmm,would be fun as a 2nd bike.

Frankly, I am a bit pizzed at Buell for dissing the Blast. That bike is, well, a real BLAST to ride. I wish they would change the bars and pegs to make it more of a sport-bike riding position, but otherwise, the lack of power is a good thing- it means you have to be involved, not just along for the ride.
            "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

As most have heard, Buell will be shut dow. I think they are still making new bikes through 10/31/09, them that's it. HD is marking down Buell accessaries 40% and I read one post that someone saw a new one at the dealer marked down to $6750. That is a huge mark down!
              I would get one if I didn't have a wife who would kill me if I did, but hey, after spending the week KBS'ing the rust out of my fuel tank and wetsanding it, I'll make do with my '91 Kat 1100

Comment

Originally posted by DClark View Post
                As most have heard, Buell will be shut dow. I think they are still making new bikes through 10/31/09, them that's it. HD is marking down Buell accessaries 40% and I read one post that someone saw a new one at the dealer marked down to $6750. That is a huge mark down!
                I would get one if I didn't have a wife who would kill me if I did, but hey, after spending the week KBS'ing the rust out of my fuel tank and wetsanding it, I'll make do with my '91 Kat 1100

Article - Buell Motorcycles to shut down
                http://gazettextra.com/news/2009/oct/16/east-troys-buell-motorcycles-shut-down/
                OldYella
                2002 Katana 600

My Katana Project
                http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=103012
                sigpic

Comment

I had a thought- Buell uses the frame as a gas tank. Do they zinc coat it? If I thought removing rust from the tank of my Kat was a pain, imagine removing everything off the frame of a Buell and trying to coat the inside with POR/KBS!

Comment

Originally posted by DClark View Post
                    I had a thought- Buell uses the frame as a gas tank. Do they zinc coat it? If I thought removing rust from the tank of my Kat was a pain, imagine removing everything off the frame of a Buell and trying to coat the inside with POR/KBS!
                    It's aluminum, nothing to rust.
                    Pics
                    Pics
                    No pics yet
                    Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

Originally posted by thetable View Post
                      It's aluminum, nothing to rust.
                      Can the aluminum still corrode? I have seen corrosion slime in the coolant system of a aluminum motor that was over do for a coolant change, couldn't the same apply to a frame that is not treated or have some special coating?

Comment

so many CC's so little HP

Comment

Originally posted by JRod750 View Post
                          so many CC's so little HP
                          HP doesnt matter... Gobs of Torque + shrort wheel base = Nasty.

Buell's arent built for straight lines. Since Im rebuilding the Kat, Im not getting a Buell but I talked my best friend into getting one! He test rode a XB9sx last night and fell in love. I know when we ride we will be switching back and forth. I love living vicarisly through other people.
                          Originally posted by arsenic
                          93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

I test rode a Ducati 848 today, loved it. I will post that in another thread, but for this thread, the two bikes had very similar personalities, but the Buell was definitely stronger in midrange and would be a far more sensible street bike. That being said, unless I can get one of these smoking deals on an 1125r, I would go for the 848 first because it is way sexier and not that much less comfortable than the Buell. Surpirisingly, despite its track orientation, the Ducati had perfect fuelling in the low revs, which made it very nice on the street.

Comment

Alright….Here is the word of truth from the “Dark Side”. Am sure some here just can’t stand it.
                              Speaking Exclusively to the 2009 XB12R Firebolt
                              On 7/16/09 I defected to the “Evil American Empire”. I traded my 2005 Kat 750 in for a new 2009 Buell XB12R Firebolt. Somewhere along the way, I determined that I wanted a V-twin sport bike, so the list is pretty small, and since the defunct of Buell motorcycles, even smaller. Let me say right up front that one of the reasons I came down on the Firebolt was over maintenance issues compared to the Kat. Other than when it’s raining, I put 500 miles or more a week on my bike. I grew quite sick and tired of replacing and maintenence of chains and sprockets, and doing valve, cam chain, and carb. Adjustments. These 3 headaches are now GONE forever. All I do now is change oil, change tires, put gas in it and have fun. It came with a 2 year unlimited mileage warranty. And the drive belt has a lifetime replacement warranty. Tear it up, shredded it wear it out…they replace it for FREE and I just love that free stuff! It came with the Pirelli Diablo Corsa 3’s. HORRIBLE!!!….I would never recommend them to anyone other than to smoke ‘em up on track days. My rear tire lasted to the first regular interval oil change, square at 1800 miles, and down to the cords at 3900 miles.
                              Performance: Yes this Bad Boy rumbles and vibrates like a hog at idle, but at 1500 rpm, it completely disappears, and runs like a sewing machine with no vibration at high RPM. The first few weeks, the power seemed a little anemic. I returned it to the shop and had the ECM reflashed to a “performance” rate. It was like night and day afterwards. The 106hp with 84 ft. pounds of torque is a wheelie monster! Off the line up to about 90mph it will run with any 600 Japanese out there, after that the Japanese turn from Dr. Jeckel to Mr. Hyde. But in the twisty it is as sharp as a tack, if set up correctly. Put it this way…..no one is going to run off and leave you on a group ride. It is very much more aggressive than the Kat, and no way as comfortable, nor offers near the wind protection of the Kat. That took some time to get use to. Yes, only 5 speeds, but what it does with 5 is remarkable, and 6 is only gonna give ya more top end. The heat from the right side is different from anything else ridden, and just a part of the nature of the beast. The re-flash addressed some of this by turning off the cooling fan when the bike comes to a stop, and only running it at stop when it’s really hot! 7100 rpm red line is just a learning curve to adjust to when coming from the screamers. It does what it needs to through the entire range.
                              This bike is not for everyone, but for the one’s that can appreciate it for what it is, and what it is not, I think not fair to think it’s a waste of money. I wanted a TLR and a SV1000, but seeing where Suzuki is going with their product line…I refuse their current offering, and didn’t want to afford a Ducati. I am disappointed that HD closed the door on Buell after 26 years, and after winning their first AMA sport bike title, I don’t think we have heard the last thing from Eric Buell. I am very satisfied with my purchase and do not regret it. Different is good, and if you’re attracted to the look, sound, and feel of it, I would highly recommend it.
                              It's not speed that kills, it's the deceleration!

Experience is a hard teacher. She gives you the test first, and then teaches the lesson.

TXSBR.com Alais: TexasSportBiker

Comment

Originally posted by tnvatdreamland View Post
                                And the drive belt has a lifetime replacement warranty. Tear it up, shredded it wear it out…they replace it for FREE and I just love that free stuff!

I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but the belt is far from guaranteed. It is covered under the 2 year warranty so long as all the guards are in place. If you pull them, don't count on getting it replaced for free. (Unless you have a really good relationship with the dealer.) Past the two year mark, you are probably going to be paying for belts, although I have seen a few goodwill gestures by dealerships working with their customers, for the most part, you are going to be paying for that belt. Of course the price on the belt is about the same as a good chain, and you don't have to worry about relubing it after the rain. My first belt lasted 14,361 miles. It is something you need to keep an eye on though. If you are able to turn the idler pulley freely, it seems to be a good clue that you will be looking for a new belt in the very near future. The inconvenient thing about a belt is that, you can't just throw a masterlink under the seat.

It came with the Pirelli Diablo Corsa 3’s. HORRIBLE!!!….I would never recommend them to anyone other than to smoke ‘em up on track days.
                                They are a sport tire, not a sport touring tire. They were designed to stick, not to last. On top of that, the Buell torque DESTROYS tires. Sport touring tires last me anywhere from 5-6500 miles.

The first few weeks, the power seemed a little anemic. I returned it to the shop and had the ECM reflashed to a “performance” rate. It was like night and day afterwards.
                                They may have reflashed to the latest updates, but there is no performance update. They probably reset the TPS, which for a bike that young has as much to do with it as anything. Also if it was demoed much, likely the plugs were a little fouled, the 08's and newer have a defouling mode for the sparkplugs which really helps. Both the spark plug cleaning and TPS you can do yourself, but I can't remember the exact procedure off the top of my head. A little searching over at Badweatherbikers should give you that info.

The heat from the right side is different from anything else ridden, and just a part of the nature of the beast. The re-flash addressed some of this by turning off the cooling fan when the bike comes to a stop, and only running it at stop when it’s really hot!
                                Yup, not sure if they made it for the Firebolts or not, but for '10 they brought out a comfort kit for the Uly's which makes a huge difference in perceived temperature. If they didn't make it for the 12r, then look into the '10 right side scoop, it will push a little more air across the cylinders, and make for less work for the fan. The best trick to make temps manageable is proper riding gear. In leathers, the heat from my Uly never bothered me. In anything more breathable, I felt like I was going to roast.

Eric Buell.
                                With a K: Erik. You can be rest assured he will continue on with something. If he does not end up being pulled into a big corp, odds are his bikes will be priced well up there, but worth it.

Any good luck with her, and I hope you enjoy the ride.
                                Pics
                                Pics
                                No pics yet

Comment

Working...
                                X