X

exhaust mod questions.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• exhaust mod questions.

I've got a totally stock '96 kat 750 with the stock dual pipes and was wondering what i can do to make it louder. And maybe give it what ever power you can from just exhaust while also not hurting the engine. I've seen other bikes with the mufflers cut off, or different slip on's and the such. But I also heard something about doing jet kits along with more free flowing exhausts dont really know what all is involved or what options i have.
    1996 katana 750

Less compression doesnt always mean more horsepower. If you get a more free flowing exaust and want more power a jet kit or a performance chip may be for you. You can also change the sprocket setup to gain more highend/low end speed depending on the setup.

I am no expert here, but just sitting around reading the topics and the stickies get you really far really fast.

If you just want to go louder, there are plenty of options. I personally am going to be ordering the D&D exaust for the low deep rumble.

Comment

Originally posted by KrAzE View Post
      Less compression doesnt always mean more horsepower. If you get a more free flowing exaust and want more power a jet kit or a performance chip may be for you..

I don't think he said anything about compression.

Katana's don't use performance chips.

Send a PM to Evil TA, he has a full pre-98 Vance and Hines system for sale. You can install an aftermarket slip-on without having to rejet the carbs. Rejetting is optimal, but you don't have to. I run a Vance and Hines slip-on and still run the carbs in stock configuration. If you do anything more than a slip-on (like a better flowing header) you have to rejet.
      02 Katana 600 (weekend toy) 11.892 @ 111.92 MPH
      90 GSXR 750/1216
      96 Chevy S-10 (work truck)
      87 Rear Engine Dragster 8.46 @ 157MPH
      sigpic

Comment

In order to get a louder sound doesnt there have to be less fiberglass and that produces less compression?

:S

About the chip comment, sorry I was looking at EFI mods and I let it slip past me that we have carborated bikes. haha.
        Last edited by KrAzE; 02-14-2009, 05:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by KrAzE View Post
          In order to get a louder sound doesnt there have to be less fiberglass and that produces less compression?

:S

Compression happens in the combustion chamber. What you're referring to is backpressure.

But you're right, with a louder, freer flowing exhaust, you will have less backpressure.

On our bikes, you'll get a little more HP by installing a slip-on, but not the knock-your-socks-off kind of HP gain.
          90 GSXR 750/1216
          sigpic

Comment

Yes, backpressure. What I needed to start my bike last week when it was cold. haha. These bikes are completely different than my car. I feel like I have stepped back in time even though my car is much older.

Comment

I basically was just asking about exhaust options that would be louder but not hurt the performance any. I understand back pressure and how engines work and all that crap but usually freeing up the exhaust can help and still not be to little back pressure to where it will hurt the performance.

and about that V&H system does that take into account that it's got dual exhaust right now?
              and what exhactly is re jetting? is it just replacing the stock jets in the carbs? do you have to re-syncronize them after something like that? (the whole multiple carberaturs thing is kinda new to me coming from the car world where most just have one )
              also what options are there for slip on's? would i have to get two or would it be better to convert the exhaust into a single instead of dual and get one good muffler?

Originally posted by JimG4652 View Post
              Send a PM to Evil TA, he has a full pre-98 Vance and Hines system for sale. You can install an aftermarket slip-on without having to rejet the carbs. Rejetting is optimal, but you don't have to. I run a Vance and Hines slip-on and still run the carbs in stock configuration. If you do anything more than a slip-on (like a better flowing header) you have to rejet.

and lastly and probably what i'm most interested in-being that i'm a broke college guy- what cheap mods (exhaust wise) are there i can do with out hurting it? like can i just cut the mufflers off and dump the exhaust under the bike?(leaving it as duals) or would it be alright to make the exhaust all go into one pipe and dump it right infront of the rear wheel with no muffler? any muffler's off other bigger bikes that would be louder and go on with out too much modification?
              1996 katana 750

Comment

If you want to change it to a 98+ single exhaust, you'll need the entire exhaust system, plus a 98+ oil pan. So not real cost effective for you.

As far as rejetting, I'm going to leave that alone as I've never done it, and don't want to feed you mis-information. If you check out the "Exhaust & Mod Shop" Section, and search pre-98 exhaust system, I'm sure you'll find a wealth of information.
                90 GSXR 750/1216
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JimG4652 View Post
                  If you want to change it to a 98+ single exhaust, you'll need the entire exhaust system, plus a 98+ oil pan. So not real cost effective for you.

As far as rejetting, I'm going to leave that alone as I've never done it, and don't want to feed you mis-information. If you check out the "Exhaust & Mod Shop" Section, and search pre-98 exhaust system, I'm sure you'll find a wealth of information.
                  of course, there's an exhaust section. my dumb *** was searching all over this section and didnt even notice that other section on the home page. i'll go check there, but since i already made this thread i got one more question
                  Is it possible to mod the stock mufflers to get a better sound? like can they be hollowed out or anything like that?
                  1996 katana 750

Comment

Originally posted by GPon2whls View Post
                    of course, there's an exhaust section. my dumb *** was searching all over this section and didnt even notice that other section on the home page. i'll go check there, but since i already made this thread i got one more question
                    Is it possible to mod the stock mufflers to get a better sound? like can they be hollowed out or anything like that?

do a search for 'poor mans exhaust'

i think someone on here did something like that but im not completley sure what year bike it was...
                    sigpicLife is 5% what happens to you, and 95% how you react to it
                    k9 GSX-R 600
                    GO VOLS!

Comment

Working...
                    X