X

The Project that will not end...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Project that will not end...

My friend and I have been working on my Kat for going on a year now, and I finally got some pictures of where we're at. I've been kicking him in the *** a lot harder as of late, since he's doing the metalwork. If anyone has a place where I can paint near Columbus, OH, I'll be happy to show up with a six-pack of your choice and a little cash as well. I already have the paint and supplies, just need a booth, gun, and preferably someone who knows what the hell they're doing.

Anyway, begging aside, there's a lot of cool custom stuff that is either done or in process.

First off is the license plate bracket. I wasn't thrilled with spending $120 and up on a Competition Werkes bracket, so we made our own with some spare pipe and metal. Attaching it to the undertail (post-shovel chop) was a little tricky, what we ended up doing was dremeling a notch right next to the outside frame (you can see it in the front view, the notch starts to the left of the bolt sticking out of the sub-frame). This was to provide clearance for the license plate. We settled on attaching it via two bolts, one on either side, and welding a nut to the top of the brackets. The holes that are being used use to have threads in them, a little drilling took care of that. The only drawback to this design is the tail fairings will need to be removed to take off the bracket, but that doesn't really happen all that often. Light stalks are attached via jam nuts, getting them to be bang-on level took a lot of bending with the torch.

The exhaust is still a work in progress, but we have the headers tacked together, and working on attaching the 4 to 1 collector to the header pipes. I got a pic of the old exhaust for kicks We are planning on re-using the exhaust can, repacking it to accomodate the new diameter pipe, and attaching it to the new midpipe.

The wiring is my baby, and won't be finished until I get the fairings back from paint. I still have to put some light pods on the back of the main side pieces, and I'm going to run a high-reflection strip on the inside of the bridge in the large hole of the fairing to reflect the light on the engine case. That being said, the tail is basically done. Taking a page from Ulshy, I put 3 LED's in the end of the tail section, seen here:

http://www.binaryshower.com/pics/bike/top view tail.jpg

There are 3- and 4-LED pods scattered all over, I'll point out their placement when it's almost done. I did finish the switching, and made a few mods of my own. This is the killswitch that came with the LED pod pack. I'm highly doubtful that this is in fact waterproof or even water-resistant, but I was sold it that way and time will tell. This is right under the left handlebar.

Looking at the tail pic again you should have seen a lone LED in white heatshrink, that's the license plate light. OH law states you have to have a light pointing at the license plate, so there it is. However, that LED is connected to the relay shown here:

http://www.binaryshower.com/pics/bike/receiver relay.jpg

It lights ONLY when the red LED's are off. Here's a little vid I made to demonstrate.

I'm tucking in the receiver and relay underneath the seat lock bar, I need to find a way to get them a little more permanently affixed once this is over so they won't slide all over the place.

Comments, snark, and paint suggestions welcome!
    Attached Files

nice project, i'm in the same boat as you with the painting. i have some cash to give anyone willing to paint, that knows how to and will provide supplies and beer.
    Chrome Project Part 1
    http://www.freewebs.com/mreedohio/

Chrome Project Part 2

http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Chrome Project Part 3
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192&page=30

Chrome Project Finished
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=107586

Comment

If I had still had room in my basement..i'd be all for doing the paint. As it is, I don't dare pass wind in the garage so that idea is out too. Hmmm where can I find a booth...

Comment

i could rent a storage unit for a month in columbus as a make shift paint booth
        Chrome Project Part 1
        http://www.freewebs.com/mreedohio/

Chrome Project Part 2

http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Chrome Project Part 3
        http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192&page=30

Chrome Project Finished
        http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=107586

Comment

Originally posted by Breeze View Post
          If I had still had room in my basement..i'd be all for doing the paint. As it is, I don't dare pass wind in the garage so that idea is out too. Hmmm where can I find a booth...

Tarps and a 10x10 pop up? But I've had mixed results (you run outta space fast).
          -Steve

sigpic
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
          Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

I dont know when I'm going to paint mine lol. Probably not for another month and a half. or the end of the month if my bike is fixed before that, simply because i have the time to take the plastics to a paint booth. I love paid time off.

Comment

The led's look cool. I got lucky on the fender chop and license plate bracket. Mine was done by the previous owner and came that way..... He went out and spent the money and bought the $120.00 bracket!

I'm kind of lucky.... My friend lives down the street from me and owns "Shameless Plug"

My bike's been sitting at his house getting fresh paint,Valves shimmed,cam chain,etc....
              I'm going to install my HID Kit once the motor gets closed back up, got a new Carbon "look" brake fluid cap,a new seat, and some body graphics going on once the paint has had time to cure. The only thing I have to pay is..... I have to install a remote start in his wife's Honda. Not a bad gig for all the stuff he's doing for me!

I can't wait to get my bike back!
              Representing the Pre's! Updated my Garage so have a look!

Comment

Originally posted by ctrailfreak View Post
                The led's look cool. I got lucky on the fender chop and license plate bracket. Mine was done by the previous owner and came that way..... He went out and spent the money and bought the $120.00 bracket!

I'm kind of lucky.... My friend lives down the street from me and owns "Shameless Plug"

My bike's been sitting at his house getting fresh paint,Valves shimmed,cam chain,etc....
                I'm going to install my HID Kit once the motor gets closed back up, got a new Carbon "look" brake fluid cap,a new seat, and some body graphics going on once the paint has had time to cure. The only thing I have to pay is..... I have to install a remote start in his wife's Honda. Not a bad gig for all the stuff he's doing for me!

I can't wait to get my bike back!
                I'm in kinda the same boat, the guy that building the exhaust is a friend of mine and never built a bike exhaust before. His uncle apparently has a booth in Portsmouth, but I've been waiting 6 months for them to hook up and it's never happened.

I can use the paint booth at my office, they have everything but a filtered air intake. Exhaust is awesome, you can paint in there all day without worrying about fumes, but the filtered intake never got installed. I tried it once, and got dust on everything (it was my first time painting with a gun too, so I could just not have been doing it right)

Comment

Originally posted by Cheech View Post
                  I can use the paint booth at my office, they have everything but a filtered air intake. Exhaust is awesome, you can paint in there all day without worrying about fumes, but the filtered intake never got installed. I tried it once, and got dust on everything (it was my first time painting with a gun too, so I could just not have been doing it right)
                  Go crazy with duct tape and some furnace filters. If everything else is done, it shouldn't be too hard.
                  Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

An update:

I finally bit the bullet and took the fairings to the Russians across the street. I know my prep work is imperfect (I've never done it before), so I wanted them to finish it up and shoot the paint. I should have painted parts back right after I come back from Vegas on Sunday.

I also stripped my oil drain plug, so picked up a new oil pan, front EBC HH pads to go with the rears, and a replacement tail light. I'm have now replaced all light lenses except for the headlights. More LED's will be in tonight, should have those placed by tomorrow.

Comment

Lights arrived yesterday, talked to the Sneaky F*ckin' Russians (j/k, loves me some Snatch ) and I will have painted parts for sure by Monday of next week when I come home from Vegas.

I hooked up some of the lights to test, and they appeared a little dim. Upon further testing, it looks like I have my relay wired wrong, the output on the relay going to the rest of the distribution blocks is showing 5V instead of 12v. I'll be tackling this tonight.

Comment

So much for the "painted parts for sure". Talked to the painters, they have a test panel (front fender) they painted. Paint looks OK, just needs to be buffed out. Looking like Friday for all parts.

Wiring worked out for lights, I didn't have complete 12V going to the distribution block. I'll post a schematic when I get a chance if anyone wants to do the same relay.

No progress on midpipe and other exhaust metalwork. Not happy.

Comment

im in the middle of a long project as well and painting is a pain in my *** but cant wait for the bike to be done

Comment

Working...
                          X