X

Tools need for brakes

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tools need for brakes

just to start this off right (yes i did a search for this)
    I'm going to be changing out my rear pads at work tommorow.
    And since there is not a great selection of tools there i will be bring them with me in the bag. My ? is what exactly do i need to bring with me.
    thanks for the help in advance (i hope)
    ill check back in the mornin before i roll out to work.
    Last edited by solgerny; 10-23-2008, 09:08 PM.

Rachet

I believe a 12mm socket and wrench to get the torque arm off.

Needle nose pliers.

Probably that [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-24400-Disc-Brake-Spreader/dp/B0002SQU9K"]device[/ame] to push/expand the caliper cups. There's a couple different varieties available. Unless you have speed bleeders, then you can crack open the nipple to relieve the fluid pressure and use a large adjustable pliers to push the cups back into the calipers.

Flat head screwdriver to reinstall the spring clips on the metal "dowels" or "rods", as I call them

Let see, what else is there...
    How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
    How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
    How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
    How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

that's about it, not a whole lot

Comment

I just did mine yesterday: 14mm for the torque arm bolt & nut, and 12mm for the caliper mounting bolts. A flat bladed screwdriver for the spring clips, and maybe a pair of needle nose pliers for the torsion clip that holds the pins in place. Don't forget to torque the arm at 23 ft lbs, and the caliper mounting bolts at 19 ft lbs.
        2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
        2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

You don't need any tools but a pair of needle nose pliers and brake grease (for the back of the new pads to prevent squeal and unnecessary wear to the pistons) to change the rear pads alone. Take off the bottom cover and springs, slide out the pads. Reverse to reassemble. He didn't say he's rebuilding the caliper people, lol.
          Last edited by Dago; 10-24-2008, 01:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by diavolo View Post
            and 12mm for the caliper mounting bolts.
            Yes, those too.

Originally posted by Dago View Post
            You don't need any tools but a pair of needle nose pliers and brake grease to change the rear pads alone. Take off the bottom cover and springs, slide out the pads. Reverse to reassemble. He didn't say he's rebuilding the caliper people, lol.
            I've considered doing it that way but trying to see and work on the brake caliper when it's only 6-9" from the ground, it seemed easier to just remove it. It's only 3 bolts anyways.

Since I haven't tried it can the pistons be compressed without dismounting the calipers?

Comment

It should take you no more than about 20 minutes with the right tools and speedbleeders.
              -
              -

I poured spot remover on my dog. Now he's gone.

Comment

And everything else you might ever want to know about brakes...
                A forum filled with write-ups, FAQ's, and visual aids for
                mechanical & cosmetic modifications to your Katana.

A forum filled with write-ups, FAQ's, and visual aids for
                mechanical & cosmetic modifications to your Katana.
                -Steve

sigpic
                Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

well i was able to replace the pads in about 20 mins as Londob5 had said. And there was no bleeding required the pistons were easly pushed back into place, after i figured out that you need to hold one side as you move the other or you will be staring out a square one agin if you dont.

and for the record all i needed (for an 06 Kat) was 14mm socket & wrench, 12mm socket w/ rachet, needle nose pliers, and a flat head screwdriver.

i dont know alot about bikes but the oppisite for cars an this was far easy then changing out pads on a car.

thanks to everyone for the pointers.

Comment

Originally posted by solgerny View Post
                    well i was able to replace the pads in about 20 mins as Londob5 had said. And there was no bleeding required the pistons were easly pushed back into place, after i figured out that you need to hold one side as you move the other or you will be staring out a square one agin if you dont.

and for the record all i needed (for an 06 Kat) was 14mm socket & wrench, 12mm socket w/ rachet, needle nose pliers, and a flat head screwdriver.

i dont know alot about bikes but the oppisite for cars an this was far easy then changing out pads on a car.

I did front brakes on a grand am tuesday night, less than a hour for both wheels but that is using impact gun and air rachet
                    Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

Comment

Yep, it's a cakewalk. If I can do it with no automotive knowlege in 20 minutes, then a real mechanic can probably do it in 5-10 mins.

Nice job, though....you should still consider investing in speedbleeders for your brakes...CyberPoet sells them, and they're not expensive.
                        -
                        -

Comment

Originally posted by Londob5 View Post
                          Yep, it's a cakewalk. If I can do it with no automotive knowlege in 20 minutes, then a real mechanic can probably do it in 5-10 mins.

Last time i did check i was a real grease monkey or as the Job title states
                          "Wheel Vehicle Mechanic"
                          "63B" < if any one here knows what this means

Comment

Last time i did check i was a real grease monkey or as the Job title states
                            "Wheel Vehicle Mechanic"
                            "63B" < if any one here knows what this means
                            Some huge chick with small boobies?
                            -
                            -

Comment

Working...
                            X