No announcement yet.
X

04 CBR600F4i and 05 Katana 750

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you mean by "it takes more work"?

Wont the F4i be quicker than the Kat at lower RPMs or will I have to rev and rev even higher to go faster?

The Kat has absolutly no pull under 4-5k rpm. What bikes do?

Comment

have you looked at the "New Katana" the GSX650f... it may be right up your alley...

Good ergos, FI, comfy seat for two-up riding, and good gas mileage...

Take a Spin With The KR Mascot...
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdjHBFbMAWE

Comment

to keep the f4 on the boil you need to keep the engine revving, noticeably higher than the kat, and dancing on the gearlever, revving , blipping, braking, no engine braking so down another gear etc...

ie fun! ...

but this can be a a pain when you want a lazy run, but still mant to make progress, over taking sometimes is nice when you just twist the throttle...ie kat.

basicaly although they can do the same jobs, you must think of them as different bikes...

the f4 is a sports tourer
        the kat is a tour-sprotster

(or is that the other way around?? )

Comment

I'd like to put my 2 cents as I've ridden both the kat and f4i. I use own an 01 kat 600 and now have a 02 f4i. As far as confort on long freeway rides, yea the kat wins hands down there. I use to take my kat on long rides and I didn't feel sore or fatigued anywhere on my body except the hands of course. I'm about 5' 9" if it helps. On the f4i ,on long trips I did feel a bit of fatigue on my lower back when riding full upright on the freeways. I compensated by going into the tuck down position and that eleviated the stress. Ergo wise, the F4i feels like my old kat but with maybe an 1.5" higher seat and slightly higher pegs.

In the twisties. The f4i is a totally complete story. I use to have to muscle and hang off alot on the kat to make quick transitions, sometimes I'd even break a sweat on the tight rodes. With the F4i, turning was alot easier and almost effortless when you're in the groove. Acceleration, of course the F4i wins hands down with more HP and being FI, better response. The difference in weight is noticeable but I wouldn't say its a land slide.

On the kat, I use to have to keep the revs in the high 7-9k, maybe even higher for the torque and speed that I would be in the 6-8k range for the F4i.

Breaking and suspension: I can't comment since my F4i is modded in both areas for track, so thats not apples/apples.

As far as fun names: Kan-O-Tuna Vs. Goofa

IMO: I like the transition from the kat to the F4i as its feels like the next step into the sportbike genre without being too much an SS. Baby steps. Though maybe something like an FZ6 maybe a smaller step.
          Last edited by datru; 10-21-2008, 03:41 PM.

02 CBR Goofa
          01 Katana 600 - gone

Comment

No engine braking on the F4i? I always liked that about the Kat

So neither bike has that low end torque that I seek?

Comment

the 750 has quite a bit more than the f4

never ridden the 600 kat so i cant comment on that sorry??

Comment

The kat 750 has much more torque down low, but not as much horsepower. The 750 is a great cruising machine with the torque of a 750 plus the ultra stable (but also ultra heavy) steel frame. The F4i is an incredible bike, but the Katana has it beat in torque. And engine braking is a term for when the engine switches from compression to decompression, causing the revs to slow and subsequently the bike. Yes, engine braking works on an F4i too
                90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                Originally posted by soulless kaos
                but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

+1 engine breaking on the F4i.

02 CBR Goofa
                  01 Katana 600 - gone

Comment

agreed on the enging braking on the f4 but you have to go down the gears for it!.

which takes us back to working the engine....

the 750 is easier to access the power, less work, comfier as a result.

f4. more work, more effort and in my opinion...more rewarding (most of the time!)
                    Last edited by mac.g; 10-21-2008, 04:04 PM.

Comment

Thanks for clearing that up for me guys.

I think with all the Pros of the CBR over the Kat taken into consideration I can deal with the extra work ;p

You have to work for all the good things in life.

Comment

I sat on an F4i a 2006 i believe it was and it didn't feel bad. I am not sure how they are engine wise as I never rode one before. I ride a 2007 Yamaha R6s which before the change in gearing and PC3 rather anemic in the lower revs and mid range.
                        I am runing 15T in the front and 50T in the rear and kept most of my prior top end and gained a bunch in the lower/mid parts of the range.
                        So if you don't like where the power is use a popular setup found in a honda forum and I am sure you will be happy. You can do what scotty noface did with the rear sets and you also can get a set of Genmar bar risers too.

But, I would say it would definately depend on the type of rider you are. If your a twisties man I would go F4I but if your more of a tourer then I would go with the kat.

Comment

-1 +5 your top end had to have suffered a great deal, stock is a 16/45. I went -1 +3 and lost about 20mph off the speedo.
                          90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                          I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                          Originally posted by soulless kaos
                          but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

I would say mine suffered only about 10-15mph I am not totally sure cause I didn't get a speedo healer yet.

I think its worth it due to the balanced powerband you get from it since it revs up a lot quicker plus changing from the 530 pitch to 520 pitch chain smoothed shifting out a bit as well.

I don't ride it at 150-160 all the time on the highway so the topspeed doesn't matter much to me. The quicker acceleration, PC3, and K&N woke this bike up especially after the tune I loaded in the PC3

Comment

Yeah, I'd opt for quicker accel down low over top-end for the same reason. I've reached the top-end of my bike twice in almost two years, but I live with the low-end every time I ride. Luckily, the low-end on my bike is tremendous anyway...
                              =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

i have a 99 f4i thats torn completely apart.(my next project) the few i rode before getting this one were fun to ride but after 100 or so miles you will be pi$$in blood. its not comfy at all. not in the slightest. but then again im gettin up there in age, (30)

Comment

Working...
                                X