X

Making the Kat more nimble?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by THAZKAT
    I have the Dunlop 208's on my bike. What do you think of them, Cyber? So far they have been great here in Arizona. I ran them in the rain today but due to traffic I didn't get the chance to test them.
    I think they grip really well, but are prone to premature front tire scalloping, especially in very hot locations. Stay on-top of the tire pressures and they'll serve you well. I think you'll probably like the Pirelli's better for canyon carving, and the Metzelers will serve you a bit better for general commuting with occassional railing.

Originally posted by SweetLou
    Cyber, what Metzlers are you running? I need to order new tires before winter, and would like something as you describe, good railing grip, and good traction in wet weather.
    I'm running the Z4's (the Z6's hadn't arrived yet when I last ordered tires). I've run three sets of Z4's on two late model Kats and been very happy... I'm probably going to try the Z6's back-to-back with the Z4's (new vs new) when I'm due for my next tire swap, just as I ran the Michelin 90x/Dunlop 205 & 207/Metzelers Z4's/Pirelli's back-to-back new when I did my last tire comparo two years ago (I cheated on the BT's & Avons and borrowed someone elses' Kats to test them for comparo purposes).

TIP: You can sell tires on eBay with 1k miles on them for what you pay mail-order, so comparing tires is mostly a matter of sucking up the mounting/balancing costs.

Cheers
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Thanks Cyber, I am experiencing some miner scalloping on the front. I was hoping that was from doing wheelie's, I guess not. The back one has been great all around.
      TDA Racing/Motorsports
      1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
      Who knows what is next?
      Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
      Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

If you are short like me, you can lower the front by a couple of mm's. I wouldn't go more than 4mm, but that's me.

It works like getting dog bones for the rear but doesn't cost anything and lowers the front of the bike insted of raising the rear. Lowering the front will give you less ground clearance. Which has always been a problem for the Kats.

It will make your stearing quicker the more you lower the front or raise the back.
        Josh

'97 TL1000S, '91 GSF400 Bandit

Comment

If cost is an issue, you can lower the front up to 10mm without running into a bottoming out problem. If you use a slightly thicker oil you can stiffen the front also. I don't reccomend putting more oil in the tubes. There are so many thing's you can do to help the Kat suspension, as you can see by all the post.
          TDA Racing/Motorsports
          1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
          Who knows what is next?
          Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
          Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Hey Rack, try the Pilot Powers on your Kat. BearKat is using Pilot Sports on his and likes them. I'm using Powers on the Gix and man do they stick in the wet!!! They also wear well and stick like glue in the dry. My front is starting to look like a triangle and it still has good tread showing.
            sigpic

WERA West #71/MWGP #71/CVR #71
            MSF Rider Coach 27028
            MoPowerSports.com
            Torco
            SoCalTrackDays

Comment

Working...
            X