X

bent front axle...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bent front axle...

OK, so I changed the front tire on my '00 Kat 600 this weekend (Avon AV45). Everything was easy and went smoothly, except when I put the axle on the balancer (just out of curiosity) I noticed that it was slightly bent. Not much - just enough to see when spinning it on the balancer, so maybe 0.010 - 0.020" at the center. The bike is in winter storage now so I just popped it back in, but I'm curious to know whether others would advise straightening it, replacing it, or leaving well enough alone? I've never hit anything big on the bike (10,000 miles), so I can't imagine how it happened. Only thing I can see it harming are front wheel bearings, which aren't a big deal to replace if I had to, right?

Jeff

front axle runout is .010 " (.25mm)

i'd replace it.
    ron ayers prices it at less than $22.00

tim

Comment

I'd replace it. better safe than sorry
      rock
      always working on mods

Comment

I'll ditto their advice and expand on it -- replace it, and replace the wheel bearings while you are at it. The wheel bearings are even more critical. Then after replacing both, check the run-out on the rotors -- an bent front axle could have caused rotor issues as well.

Cheers
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

OK, I think we have a consensus here for replacing the axle. I'll get one on order and slap it in when I take stuff apart to change the chain & sprockets this winter. Anyone care to provide some level of detail on how difficult it is to change the front wheel bearings? They're not too expensive, so I'm inclined to do it while the wheel is off. I'm assuming they're a press-fit into the wheel. Is it possible to get them out and new ones in with basic hand tools (a drift/punch and hammer?). I'm pretty good mechanically (used to be a machinist), but I don't have a shop press or bearing puller so if that's necessary, I'll need to take it somewhere or rent the tools (not a problem, as I need to rent an impact wrench for the front sprocket nut to do the chain anyway...)

Comment

Originally posted by JeffM
            OK, I think we have a consensus here for replacing the axle. I'll get one on order and slap it in when I take stuff apart to change the chain & sprockets this winter. Anyone care to provide some level of detail on how difficult it is to change the front wheel bearings? They're not too expensive, so I'm inclined to do it while the wheel is off. I'm assuming they're a press-fit into the wheel. Is it possible to get them out and new ones in with basic hand tools (a drift/punch and hammer?). I'm pretty good mechanically (used to be a machinist), but I don't have a shop press or bearing puller so if that's necessary, I'll need to take it somewhere or rent the tools (not a problem, as I need to rent an impact wrench for the front sprocket nut to do the chain anyway...)
            Factory manual calls for a specific center punch and drift system to knock the bearings out (any center punch should do if it's the right size), and a specialty tool (basically a bolt with threads the same size as the bearings, plus a couple flat washers and some nuts) to put the new ones back in (although any press ought to work if you take it easy). The one major caution in the factory manual is to install the left wheel bearing first, then the right one.

As for the impact wrench, depending on how much the rental place will charge you (some are free, some aren't), consider getting an electric one for $30 from harborfreight instead.

Cheers
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
            X