X

Intermittent starting

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intermittent starting

Its been eons since I last posted here. Good to see some of the same folks...

So my '05 600cc kat often doesnt start (doesn't even make a noise) when I engage the clutch and starter. I have noticed if I squeeze harder on the clutch sometimes it will engage starter.

Does this sound more like a starter or clutch issue?
    how difficult are these to repair/replace?

I have done simple things like valve adjustments, chain replacements, aftermarket exhaust etc...

Wondering whether I should attempt this fix myself or take it to the shop.

Thanks in advance folks.

Clutch safety switch going bad.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Obliged. Ill dig in and give it a whirl.

Comment

Read a few threads re: the quick fix for a bad clutch switch. In fact I think I saw your post in one, Junker.

Image: I am assuming these are the clutch switch wires (yellow/black)
        I verified I had the right bundle and followed it to the yellow multi-connector, found the two yellow/black wires...

So I yank these from the yellow connector and wire them together?
        Just want to verify with someone that has done this before so I dont Jack anything up

Thanks again.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
          Clutch safety switch going bad.
          Yup its going out or loose or connectors corroded.

Fyi its the black plug
          You know your a KatRider when you sell a nearly new perfectly running low miles bike... and buy a 13 year old non running Katana.

Comment

Drawing shows black/yellow is correct. Don't cut anything yet, put a meter across the two wires and use the continuity setting could also be the diode setting, pull the lever a couple times and see if it is the switch.
            Last edited by 92xjunker; 04-05-2014, 02:34 PM.
            "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
            spammer police
            USAF veteran

Comment

Wait you are reffering to the black plug that goes directly into the clutch right?
              I followed the wires and they led me to a large yellow plug (harness?).

I've read if you pull the two clutch safety wires from the harness? and connect them to each other, it bypasses the safety switch allowing startups without clutching (of course you need to be in neutral).

Am I understanding this right?

Ok. Thanks junker. Ill yank and connect to each other.

Argh. I dont have a meter. And I cut the wires.

I dont know anything about electrics... which two should I splice? The two still connected to the plug/harness or the two that go back to the clutch? My guess is the former...

Damn it.
              Last edited by Gkannon77; 04-05-2014, 02:47 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

If you cut it, I hope it was on the clutch side of the plug and you didn't cut it right at the plug, leave a few inches, spice at the plug. Just splice them together, don't twist and tape them or wire nuts, solder is best but, a crimp connector will work till you get the switch fixed.
                Last edited by 92xjunker; 04-05-2014, 03:16 PM.
                spammer police
                USAF veteran

Comment

Yes cut on the clutch side of plug.

Was about to solder.

Solder together the 2 going back to clutch or the 2 going into the plug?

Comment

Plug side.
                    spammer police
                    USAF veteran

Comment

It appears fixed... It just fired up three times in a row (hasn't done that in a long time).

Thanks.

Comment

I used a fuse to connect the clutch switch wires together.
                        never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

Working...
                        X