X

Stuck brake pad pins

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stuck brake pad pins

Changed the pads on my 1100 yesterday, what should have been a ten minute job ended up taking three hours due to all the pad pins being coroded into the caliper body.
    After a quick call to the bike shop and being told the cost would be £4.00 for each pin I drew a length of 5mm stainless rod and proceeded to turn 6 lengths down to 4.6mm to fit the caliper holes.
    Looking at these pins and what they do 4.5mm stainless rod would have been fine for the job and easy to get hold of.
    To make your own pins all youl need is 300mm of 4.5mm stainless rod, a center punch and a small drill bit just a little over the diameter of the spring steel used on the R clips that go through the pad pins.
    Using stainless your never going to see them stick in the calipers again. a little dob of copper slip on the end of each pin will make them bugger up proof for good.
    sigpic
    "Teaching boys to bake cakes? That's no way to maintain an industrial empire."

I'm pretty sure that the original pins are case hardened to stop the pads from gouging slightly and thus sticking

Engelskmannen.
    Carpe Jugulum...
    1994 GSX1100F

Please check out my re-build thread: http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=128660

Comment

Hi
      No pins are soft, I put a well used file on them and they cut easy no sign of case hardening. I used 316 Stainless so its a bit tougher than the mild steel pins that were in there. Mind you I have a diamond box and case hardening comppound in the workshop so it wouldnt be a problem to make hardened pins from mild.
      If they do start to gouge I will make some new pins fron silver steel and harden and temper to straw colour.
      Last edited by KevinGambrell; 10-18-2013, 04:29 AM.
      sigpic
      "Teaching boys to bake cakes? That's no way to maintain an industrial empire."

Comment

No worries then

Engelskmannen.
        Carpe Jugulum...
        1994 GSX1100F

Please check out my re-build thread: http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=128660

Comment

Working...
        X