No announcement yet.
X

classic "sportbikes"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They don't "eat cams like candy". that's a gross exaggeration. If you're rough on the engine and don't change the oil regularly AND regularly overheat the engine because you don't flush the coolant every year or two then you can end up with low oil pressure under the cam bearings. There's plenty of 82-85 V-4 engines (without the oil line mod) that are still going strong. All it takes is regular maintenance and treating the bike the way it was meant to be. Kinda like Katana transmissions. Abuse them by power shifting into second and they break. Treat the bike like a sports-tourer and they go 100,000 miles.
    Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
    HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Lmao... I have a 83 sabre v45 sitting outside. another project, lol... That motor is something, thats for sure... Think id put some one on my kat 750 rather than that 750 honda (asuming they both, ya know, ran...) It def lends itself to some ideas...

Comment

Saw this one on Craig's list this morning:

1983 Suzuki Katana 1100
        Last edited by KatanaGSX92; 12-02-2011, 10:08 AM.
        sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
        1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
        2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
        First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
        Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

I picked this thing up for 100 bucks. 84 Honda CB700SC Nighthawk, I guess it's a sports bike I'm sure it will be faster than my 88 Katana 600

In the process of making her look pretty, engine is painted up (yeah thats going to help it run lol) going to tear down the rest of it, go threw everything and paint and decal.

Last edited by Jman2343; 12-03-2011, 08:57 AM. Reason: forgot picture

Comment

Originally posted by Jman2343 View Post
            ...I guess it's a sports bike
            No, it's not. Nighthawks are great bikes but they're what the mags call a UJM, a Universal Japanese Motorcycle. Upright seating position, center-located footpegs and no fairing. It'll be a great around-town bike but not very sporty.

Originally posted by Jman2343 View Post
            ...I'm sure it will be faster than my 88 Katana 600...
            Don't count on it. Again, it's a UJM. Design emphasis was on making it good for around-town riding which means fairly mild manners, relatively comfortable seating position and good fuel mileage. Power wasn't one of those things that was important on that bike.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
            HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Seven years ago a friend sold me an '83 GSX750ES for $1,000. It was my first bike in 20 years. It had top half fairings and would run like a waterfall.

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

Originally posted by zuma View Post
                would run like a waterfall.

That is, when the snow starts to melt and runs off the tops of the mountains?
                we are talking carbureted bikes you know...
                Please, Just go home, relax, and have a think or two... hell... have as many as you can handle! It'll do all of us some good.
                Tony
                94 Katana 600

Comment

Sure, but more like this...

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

Seven years ago a friend sold me an '83 GSX750ES for $1,000. It was my first bike in 20 years. It had top half fairings and would run like a waterfall.

must have been a good one.you still call him freindwhat a nice commuter.

Comment

Nice classic bike's .

Comment

Nice CB. There are several members here that own those.
                        John,
                        '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
                        sigpic

Comment

I have the 1985 700 version of this with the blue stripes. Fun little bike.
                          Last edited by DOCTORNITRO; 12-21-2011, 07:26 PM.
                          THE DOC
                          RIP MARC......Ride on in Heaven Brother!
                          Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a
                          mistake when you make it again.
                          sigpic

Comment

This our 1986 700 VFR F. I got it for $800 about 4 years ago with 25,000 miles on it. It had new brakes, tires and corbin seat. We have put about 12,000 miles on it since then. Only had to replace one coolant hose and the battery so far. It's an awesome ride lots of the fun and low end power. My wife and son both learned how to ride on it. I take it out when ever I get the chance. We will never sell it and one day I will restore it to all orginal status. It was orginaly an all white model but as you can see over it's life things have been changed. BTW this is a two owner bike. Where ever we go people always ask about the VFR no matter how nice the other bikes are parked with it. BTW it'll still pull the front tire if leave to hard.
                            2003 Katana 750F
                            1986 VFR 700F

Comment

That's a completely different feeling bike than my '84 VF700F. I got to ride an '86 after helping sync the carbs for a friend and was amazed at the difference in the ride. Much more twitchy and less forgiving than mine was.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                              HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

I would like to find a rd400 daytona that i didn't have to sell my house to get.
                                "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                                spammer police
                                USAF veteran
                                If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Working...
                                X