X

#4 Cylinder

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• #4 Cylinder

I will be getting a 90 katana 600 from my uncle for parts. I am looking at this as a bike to tinker with and learn from. From what I am told it has a carbureted gsxr1100 engine. The engine seems to have a major lack of power that I tracked down to the #4 cylinder. The carb has been rebuilt like 500 miles ago and all fuel lines/filters replaced as well because it had the issue before, but it turned out to be the fuel lines were to long and 'kinking' shut.

I have changed around the plugs but to no avail. The cylinder seems to only fire at random moments. May I need to get the carbs synced? Or is there something i am over looking.
    95 Suzuki Katana 600
    04 Honda Shafow

#1, that bike doesn't have fuel filters. #2, adjust the valves.

Comment

yep, adjust valves, run a compression check, clean carbs, change plugs...report back findings

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
      You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

Well it had fuel filter in the lines when he first got it. Knowing nothing about if it needed them or not we replaced them. I will see if that helps Teddy thanks for the suggestion.
        95 Suzuki Katana 600
        04 Honda Shafow

Comment

engine is obviously junk. Just run it by my house and I'll get rid of it for ya.
          When all else fails get a bigger hammer

Comment

Originally posted by phantasm View Post
            engine is obviously junk. Just run it by my house and I'll get rid of it for ya.
            2002 GSXF 750

Comment

Alright, my uncle has proved me wrong. As well as has a weird issue from what he says. The engine is actually running on #3&4 cylinders run fine, but #1&2 cylinders do not want to run unless he has more than a half tank of gas. He has (supposedly) adjusted the jets back to stock specifications, and cleaned the carbs out.
              95 Suzuki Katana 600
              04 Honda Shafow

Comment

Does it have two separate feeds from the petcock? If it does, maybe the one for 1 & 2 is clogged up.
                Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Would cyls 1&2 possibly run off the same coil as the katana does? wiring to coil or coil bad?

There is a 93 gsxr1100 here locally that I'm half tempted to check out. 2 bodies for it and all it's supposed to need is a carb cleaning/sync, tires and a shifter seal. I'm very tempted.
                  sigpic

Comment

The only thing carbs one and two share should be the t line for the fuel...
                    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                    Originally posted by soulless kaos
                    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by mcssls View Post
                      Would cyls 1&2 possibly run off the same coil as the katana does? wiring to coil or coil bad?

There is a 93 gsxr1100 here locally that I'm half tempted to check out. 2 bodies for it and all it's supposed to need is a carb cleaning/sync, tires and a shifter seal. I'm very tempted.
                      No Katana has 1 & 2 cylinders on the same coil. A 1993 GSXR 1100 is water cooled, you are aware NOTHING from that bike (other than the front end) will work on your bike right?

Comment

thinking about fixing it over the winter to ride, Keep the kat for comfort
                        sigpic

Comment

Gotcha, cool deal.

Comment

Working...
                          X