• 98+ Shock in a Pre

Do 98+ rear shocks fit 88-97 bikes?

Yes
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Are they stiffer or change ride height? Do you have to make a mount for the resevore?

Comment

Moved posts from the for sale thread.

Please try doing a search here in brakes and suspension, and check out the shock interchange guide in the wiki.

If your questions aren't answered there let us know.
        -Steve

sigpic
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by adam731432 View Post
          Are they stiffer or change ride height? Do you have to make a mount for the resevore?
          Putting a post 750 on a pre will lower the bike about 3/4"~1".

IMO if you are going to do that get a 08+ R6 shock and put that in there. In stock form it is alot better than a stock post 750 shock. The R6 and 98+ 750 shock are the same length center to center.

Tmod

Comment

I don't want to lower it.

Comment

My question is why would you actually WANT one...should be upgrading the suspension if anything...
              90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
              I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
              Originally posted by soulless kaos
              but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

I don't want to lower it.
                My suggestion then is tell us exactly what you are looking for and what your budget is. We can get a pretty good idea of what direction to go then.

Weight?
                Ride 2up?
                If so what percentage of time and how much do they weigh?
                Ride aggressive or just cruising?
                Like the canyons or twisties?

Tmod

Comment

I just figured I could get a like new post shock only a few years old for $100 instead of rebuilding my 18 year old shock for $200+. I also thought it might be a little better with newer technology like the remote reservoir.

I didn't want to modify the ride height. Maybe a little stiffer but mostly just restore the stock freshness.

I am 6' 235 but might loose 30 pounds. I just want something good for 50/50 aggressive city and hwy touring.

Comment

I just figured I could get a like new post shock only a few years old for $100 instead of rebuilding my 18 year old shock for $200+. I also thought it might be a little better with newer technology like the remote reservoir.

I didn't want to modify the ride height. Maybe a little stiffer but mostly just restore the stock freshness.

I am 6' 235 but might loose 30 pounds. I just want something good for 50/50 aggressive city and hwy touring.
                    Your old shock is not rebuildable so that takes that out of the equation.

All the choices that are available either raise or lower the bike. I would suggest a B12 but that caused a interference issue with the lever, The R6 will lower it. Early GSXR are the closest thing that will fit right in with some adjustability but then they need rebuilding. Post 750 shock will lower it. Hayabusa shock will raise the crap out of it.

I guess what I am saying is there is not a direct replacement from another newer bike without it changing the height some.

Tmod

Comment

I thought the r6 shock raised it a bit.
                      Get over yourself. For me to think you are an idiot, I would first need to think of you.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Badfaerie View Post
                        I thought the r6 shock raised it a bit.

No, stock drop is 3/4". Yours was shimmed by Tmod to further drop it another 1" for the total 1 3/4" drop.

The B-12 will raise it by 2", and at that height can cause a clearance issue with the cushion/shock. I had Tmod shim mine to reduce that to 1 3/4" increase instead. He also swapped the spring, and rebuilt the shock at the same time. No clearance issue now, and WAY better performance.

Krey
                        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Well I wouldn't mind it raised a bit on my street fighter but not 2"s. I's there any other one that fits or a way to get the b12 closer to only a 1" lift?

Comment

Well I wouldn't mind it raised a bit on my street fighter but not 2"s. I's there any other one that fits or a way to get the b12 closer to only a 1" lift?

A combination of a b-12 shock and lowering links... would give you the option to reduce the height gain.

krey
                            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I only see the screw type for a pre 98. Do the 98+ lowering links happen to work on a pre?

Comment

Working...
                              X