No announcement yet.
X

good ST bikes ???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

another one to consider is the yzf600r .

Comment

Having ridden coast to coast a handful of times on different bikes, in general, if you want a two-up moto that is stable at highway speed, you need a heavier bike than a middle displacement V-twin.

Bandit 1200 is probably the least expensive for a two-up ST moto, considering your college student budget. I picked up my 2001 Bandit 1200 w/9,xxx mi. Dale Walker exhaust, Stage 1 jet kit, new pair of Conti. tires for $2000.

VFR is also a good choice, older versions could be less expensive, somewhat mode desirable without VTEC.

if you're really stuck on the V-twin idea, look for an Aprilia Futura.. they are not lightweight, but very nice ST moto.
      Last edited by "K"; 12-07-2009, 10:10 AM.

Comment

Looks like you got a killer deal on the bandit ....you scored

Comment

Sport-tourer with the emphasis on sport.
          John,
          '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by VifferJim View Post
            Gotta chime in... 'cause I just went from a Pre-Kat to a 5th Gen VFR. It weighs about 50 lbs more, but also cranks about 20 more hp than the Post Kat 750; ergos are comparable, favoring the VFR... V4 growl (go 2Bro slip on and it's like hearing music every time you turn the key); gear driven cams; FI; LBS; very good for 2-up (though I'd recommend a shock swap if you're larger than your average japanese rider) and all day riding.

(and they make a supercharger kit for it... mwwahahahahaha)

If you're considering a VFR, can't say I'd recommend the 6th Gen (it's likely beyond your budget and then there's that stupid V-tech), though it is by most accounts prettier than the 5th.

The 5th Gen (1998 - 2001) can be had in exceptional shape for well under $5K.
            I just picked up a 06 VFR with 2500 miles out of Virginia for $5000 yesterday. I've been watching them on ebay and cycle trader and you should be able to find a low mileage VFR's for for under $5K. Also the 07's have been marked down bigtime to clear the floor of NOS.

The only bad thing I've heard about the VFR is the Vtec ones are big money for a vavle adjustment. I'll be sourcing out a service manual ASAP lol.
            Kyle

Comment

I heard dealers are being instructed to mark down current VFR800's to clear the showroom floors for the new VFR1200. Might be able to score a great deal on a new one.

"But, you can now attain a similar level of sport touring ability from Honda for nearly half that price. It's slashed the official MSRP of its remaining stock of tri-color 2007 VFR800s to just $7,939 in an effort to clear them from showrooms ahead of the vfr1200's arrival."

Comment

also in the running are 3 bikes i over looked....
                zrx 1200 (not fuel injected)
                82 gs1100 (not fuel injected)
                bmw r1200gs (a lil expensive and heavy)
                Please, Just go home, relax, and have a think or two... hell... have as many as you can handle! It'll do all of us some good.
                Tony
                94 Katana 600

Comment

Originally posted by il_ragazzo View Post
                  Those are nice bikes.
                  How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
                  How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
                  How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
                  How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Originally posted by il_ragazzo View Post
                    also in the running are 3 bikes i over looked....
                    zrx 1200 (not fuel injected)
                    82 gs1100 (not fuel injected)

Might I offer a suggestion:

Minus the geeky backrest.
                    sigpic

Comment

Since this thread was bumped, I'm going to chime in!

I've owned a first gen fz1 and currently own a bandit 1200s.

I will say without a doubt that the bandit 1200 is a better all around bike. The bike isn't too fast from the factory but the torque is far better than any bike i've ever ridden, even more down low torque than my vmax! It's also extremely comfy, stable, has good wind protection, is solidly built, reliable, and has an extremely massive aftermarket. It also responds to mods very well. bolt on a full exhaust, jet kit, ignition advancer, and some pods and you're 120+ rwhp! Slap on some katana 750 heads and old stock gsxr cams....85 ft lbs of torque and 140+ rwhp! All while sitting straight up and having your wife on back for an all day comfy trip
                      Last edited by mdoe8; 02-12-2010, 12:06 PM.
                      -1999 White FRC Corvette
                      -2003 Black Kawasaki Z1000

Comment

yeah i've been looking at bandits and thinking fuel injection is pretty important.... but i agree i like the bandit.

and i really like the bandit 1250! with FI .... if i can i'll wait till i can get one of those!
                        Last edited by il_ragazzo; 02-12-2010, 07:42 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                        Please, Just go home, relax, and have a think or two... hell... have as many as you can handle! It'll do all of us some good.
                        Tony
                        94 Katana 600

Comment

Why so fixed on forced induction? Cabs run just as good if not better when tuned properly
                          -1999 White FRC Corvette

Comment

Originally posted by mdoe8 View Post
                            Why so fixed on forced induction? Cabs run just as good if not better when tuned properly
                            You mean fuel injection?

Fuel injection > carbs

Neither is honestly any better than the other when in top shape, they each have their drawbacks, but this is the modern world, injection is king and is much more desirable than carbs to all but the purists.
                            90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                            I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                            Originally posted by soulless kaos
                            but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

EFI will almost always have an advantage over carbs performance wise due to better atomization, especially in the low to mid rpm ranges, and the fact that the fuel injection can adjust itself more precisely to changes in atmospheric pressure when riding over a wide variety of elevations. A extremely good mechanic may be able to tune a set of carbs to run great on any given day, but change anything environmental, and the tuning is off, EFI is more fool proof.
                              John,
                              '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
                              sigpic

Comment

I understand the benefits of fuel injection (not forced induction haha, my bad). My point was the benefits for the price difference you'll have to pay are not worth it in my opinion. I've owned fuel injection as well as carbed bikes and i actually liked the carbed bikes better. Fuel injection on bikes is just now starting to become smooth and without hesitation at partial throttle and low rpms and such. Definitely has advantages, I just don't think you shuold base your decision on what bike you get becuase of it.
                                -1999 White FRC Corvette

Comment

Working...
                                X