X

Tires and Swingarms discussion moved outta pics thread

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by buffalobill View Post
    Krey your thread: Fitting a Wider Tire, is very good, much better with pics.
    I downloaded your pic of the swingarm mod and I think I see how you did it; by only cutting 3 sides of the square tube and bending it out a mite, then welding it up.
    Needs careful measuring to set it up, and a precise jig to hold it before welding.
    Very good simple mod.

I was already gonna practice this cut and weld technique so I can use it to raise my mufflers some. When I get good at it, I'll do this too.

Sending you a PM with some steps on doing this...

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I was already gonna practice this cut and weld technique so I can use it to raise my mufflers some. When I get good at it, I'll do this too.
      By the looks of your welds, you won't be riding next season then.
      Forgive me, I couldn't resist.
      EDIT: Its best/safer to weld warm metal. The heat from the welding process can cause a weak spot between the hot and cold surfaces. Warm the shop or heat the entire piece with a torch before welding.
      Also, you may want to insert some reinforcements inside the swingarm. Drill holes in the arms, tac the inserts and arm together, then grind the spots clean. Or there may be other methods such as you external brace you were talking about. I just don't like the chain routing through it. But, to each his own.
      Last edited by katanarider; 11-29-2015, 11:18 AM.
      My Katana-1100 17" wheel swap
      http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=136894

Comment

Ha! Right! Not gonna jump into this until I know I can do good welding.
        Have a look at the post 95 gsxrs, their swingarm bracing looks much like the racer mods and the chain does pass through the brace.
        Thanks for the welding tip.

Comment

Getting close to spring

Just bought this swingarm for doing the famous Krey mod for 180/55 tires.
          It's ugly now, but that's just surface rust.
          Don't worry katanarider, I'm gonna just do the cutting and find a good pro welder to do the final welding.
          (sh_t, just the inert gas and tank would cost me $190!)
          Last edited by buffalobill; 02-07-2016, 05:53 PM.

Comment

just getting started

OK, only got the swingarm a couple hours ago.
            Cleaned it up, and widened the axle slots.
            Marked the cuts.
            Will do the cutting tomorrow.

Comment

Kind of a ways off, but whatcha planning for the swinger, paint or powder coat? Good luck with tomorrow
              1998 Katana 750
              1992 Katana 1100
              2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Just a spray job. I'm not into museum quality mistakes.

Comment

Bummer, the GSXR axle I got, ain't quite long enough.
                  Looks like I need a M20 x 350mm axle.
                  All the part sites only ask; What Bike?
                  Anybody who's done this mod wanna give me clue what bike has an axle that will fit?

Comment

Bummer, the GSXR axle I got, ain't quite long enough.
                    Looks like I need a M20 x 350mm axle.
                    All the part sites only ask; What Bike?
                    Anybody who's done this mod wanna give me clue what bike has an axle that will fit?
                    What specific year/model is the rear wheel from, and then same for the axle you have?

Krey
                    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

ok, I'm using a 3/4" threaded rod for axle

I'm happy with the results, this is gonna work. I pushed the axle all the way forward in the slots and I still got 18mm clearance on each side of the 190/50 tire. Next I'll weld on a brace somewhat like the GSXR.

Comment

Mod looking good so far!

Real quick, put the brake arm on, put the swingarm in the frame with the bolt just slid in, and then check your clearance for the brake arm and lower frame rail.

You might want to move the mounting tab for the brake arm for better clearance.

Krey
                        93 750 Kat

Comment

Tried that, thanks

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                          What specific year/model is the rear wheel from, and then same for the axle you have?

Krey
                          I bought one for the 92 GSXR750, only reached up to the middle of the swingarm.
                          Asked a dealer to measure his 94 GSXR1100 axle, that was longer but only enough for the nut to just begin to engage.
                          I figured out those bikes have special swingarm end pieces that allow shorter axles.

Hey Krey, thanks!
                          All of that I'll get started on tomorrow.
                          Looks like their might be a clearance issue between the chain and the rear sub frame.
                          The brake arm will have to be cut and welded kinda like the swingarm.
                          A lot of inspection and measuring tomorrow.
                          Last edited by buffalobill; 02-12-2016, 03:51 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

I bought one for the 92 GSXR750, only reached up to the middle of the swingarm.
                            Asked a dealer to measure his 94 GSXR1100 axle, that was longer but only enough for the nut to just begin to engage.
                            I figured out those bikes have special swingarm end pieces that allow shorter axles.

Hey Krey, thanks!
                            All of that I'll get started on tomorrow.
                            Looks like their might be a clearance issue between the chain and the rear sub frame.
                            The brake arm will have to be cut and welded kinda like the swingarm.
                            A lot of inspection and measuring tomorrow.
                            If the wheel and axle is off a 92 gsxr, 20mm OD... with curved spokes like the pre kat, then that should work fine. I've used those several times. The 92 gsxr swingarm is the same tubular design.

It's when they switched to the aluminum swingarms with the much thinner welded on tabs for the axle slots that the axles got much shorter.

I'd suggest you look at bending the brake arm before cutting/welding it. It's just easier to do. I'd also suggest considering modding the mounting tab location if nessasary (since your already cutting/welding on the swingarm" as that will keep you with less custom parts, and more easy to swap OEM parts. Remember the caliper bracket pivots on the axle, so you can move the tab forward/backwards by upwards of a couple of inches with no issues. Also you can move it left/right a bit with no isssue too, as the tabs on the brake arm have plenty enough room to be bent to adjust for angle there and not need to be cut/ welded.

What's the distance you have at the axle slots, inside of the swingarms?

Shouldn't be a clearance issue on the chain... that shouldn't have moved.

Krey
                            93 750 Kat

Comment

I got 260mm between the swingarms after mounting, or that's the thickness of the spacers, wheel and the caliper bracket, same thing.
                              Remember you suggested I get a caliper bracket from a 600 or 900F?
                              That bracket is thicker that the 750F bracket, but until I put the brake disc on the gsxr wheel I won't know exactly how it lines up.

Comment

I got 260mm between the swingarms after mounting, or that's the thickness of the spacers, wheel and the caliper bracket, same thing.
                                Remember you suggested I get a caliper bracket from a 600 or 900F?
                                That bracket is thicker that the 750F bracket, but until I put the brake disc on the gsxr wheel I won't know exactly how it lines up.
                                Yeah, 260 is about right.

So it looks like the axle you have was from a bike with the aluminum swingarm, and the reason it's short.

Axles that will work/fit... bandits, RFs, 88-89 GSXR...

Krey
                                93 750 Kat

Comment

Working...
                                X