X

starter relay bypass?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• starter relay bypass?

The four pin plug that goes to the starter relay on my post keeps rotting and giving me grief. Is it possible to bypass it? Has anyone done it?
    sigpic

Has any thing been re-wired already ?
    Seems like some thing is wrong if it keeps happening. Just seems unusual because my pre-98 has never had that problem.
    EDIT: Actually, I believe they don't even have "Starter Relays" from the factory. The right hand control and key do all the on/off duties.
    2nd EDIT: Oh, you mean the Solenoid. If its already been replaced it could be a cheap re-production piece of junk. Try Buying a OEM piece from the Suzuki dealer.
    Last edited by katanarider; 01-20-2016, 01:33 PM.
    My Katana-1100 17" wheel swap
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=136894

Comment

The post has a relay and it's been replaced cos the terminal pins rotted out, now the terminals in the plug are deteriorating. They're only small pins and connectors. Crap.
      sigpic

Comment

Some people say its due to leaking acid, over charging,shortage/loose connection,old oxidized wire or burnt wire, wrong battery, mix matched metal oxidation and so on/etc...
        Have you touched the wires to see if they get hot or used a volt meter ?
        My Katana-1100 17" wheel swap
        http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=136894

Comment

I reckon the rot is due to water. It rains here a lot. I'm developing gills and webbed feet!
          The bike is used daily and doesn't really get a break. Coupled with the fact that recently they've started salting the roads again, it doesn't help. I've modified the plug to take slightly bigger spades, used some sealing spray on top of electrical tape and a blob of grease.
          These plugs and the relay connections are just too puny. Before I changed the relay last time the bike would give a mahoosive backfire when switching to main beam whilst tanking along the motorway!
          sigpic

Comment

You have major electrical corrosion in the loom if the headlight switch causes an after fire.
            "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
            spammer police
            USAF veteran
            If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

That problem was cured after fitting a new relay. The connection was so poor that while switching to main beam it would disrupt the power for a split second.
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X