Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

front forks dont go up more then 3/8 on upper triple tree!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mines a 06 mine done have them things. So they musta did away with them after 05. Mines a 600 as well
    Combat Veteran of the United States Marine Corps-0311

Comment

heres my forks. bout an inch an a qtr raised
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by katana0311 View Post
        Thats ridiculous.
        90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
        I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
        Originally posted by soulless kaos
        but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

600s are different from 750s.

Comment

Your front suspension has just over 3/4" clearance for the suspension when it is fully compressed.

If your forks are moved up into the triples more than 3/4", then your suspension is now set so that the lower triples can hit your dust seals/oil seals and damage them before it completes it's full compression stroke. Your fender is also now able to impact the bottom of the front fairings area as well.

IE... hard parts can hit!

Unless you have taken steps not listed here to prevent this, you are in a position to seriously damage your bike... and very possible loose control while on a ride at speed.

If you have taken steps to prevent that from happening, it sure would be nice that you mention that before telling someone else to just lower their forks like that so they can kill themselves going down the road.

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

i have 3 inches of travel before anything comes close to hittin. stock there is 4 inches of clearance.

Comment

i have 3 inches of travel before anything comes close to hittin. stock there is 4 inches of clearance.
                You do realize there is actually 5" of travel correct? So if there is not that much clearance between the top of the dust seal and the lower triple you are going to take the outer slider tube and run it into the lower triple under full compression.

Tmod
                Last edited by Tmod; 09-15-2012, 10:42 AM.

Comment

I used a few washers to space out that cap. My friend did the same thing on his 'busa. It allowed me to push the fork up a little further underneath the cap and get the front lowered.
                  2006 Katana GSX750F

Comment

Even at your incorrect measurements, your math doesn't add up...

Originally posted by Tmod View Post
                    You do realize there is actually 5" of travel correct? So if there is not that much clearance between the top of the dust seal and the lower triple you are going to take the outer slider tube and run it into the lower triple under full compression.

Tmod
                    +1...

And just so it's clear T and I are not making stuff up...

Post 750 at full extension (on center stand with wheel off ground), just a hair over 5" clearance.

Full and complete compression stroke = less than 1/2" clearance. Fortunately, it's extreamly rare to bottom out the forks, but yes... it can happen.

But, what about actually working the suspension... So, add in a zip tie on the forks...

Lock down the front brake, and work the suspension up and down. Now mind you, this isn't even making it fully compress or bottom out. It does stop before I can make that happen, yet this is where the zip tie stops after being pushed up by the dust seal.

Now, just so we are clear... the bottom of that zip tie is where the dust seal traveled up to with just a bit of pushing on the bars. It can travel more on a road and will if your hitting hard bumps.

If you ride the bike on the road, and your forks are moved up into the triples more than 3/4"... You WILL hit your dust seals. The more it is over that, the harder and more likely it will happen.

These pics were done with post kat 750, today with a stock front end setup. The other kats (post 600 and both pre) are the same way.

It is also very well known that the stock spring setup on a Kat is well under rated for the avg rider. Unless your under 130lbs...

You CAN lower the front end of the bike with a combination of moving the fork tubes (MAX 3/4") and adding spacers between the lower and the damping rod. You should make some other modifications when you do this to really make it ride correct, but it's possible to do if you need more than the 3/4" lower.

Krey
                    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Good info Krey / Tmod.

I'm guessing that's why the post 750s have that lip ... so people can't lower the front to the point they kill themselves.

(PS Krey, it looks like your oil cooler has done the Dakar rally a few times??? You needed one of these ...)

Comment

Originally posted by TRPUT View Post
                        (PS Krey, it looks like your oil cooler has done the Dakar rally a few times??? You needed one of these ...)

Okay, that's cool and I want one... but those weren't pics of my bike.

Krey
                        93 750 Kat

Comment

So what else should i do i need to lower thr front!
                          If I aint riding my kat im pulling magic trix out of my hat!
                          «on the soccer field of course»

Comment

Originally posted by KatanaStud View Post
                            So what else should i do i need to lower thr front!
                            see...

KatRiders.com conversations about Suzuki Katanas
                            and the days spent riding them. Includes Vintage Kats, Street Fighters, 1100 Kats Only, and Long Term Projects.

Krey
                            93 750 Kat

Comment

Working...
                            X