X

Tips and Tricks........

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am suprized no one add this one.

for corroded batteries. pour coke (the soda damn it) on the corrosion and then just brush it away with a rag.

Comment

if you ever strip out a screw or i guess this would work for blts to but never tried it with those, but take a flat head and hammer a notch in the top of the bolt or screw toward the side and angle your flat head so the tip of it is pointed toward the way you would turn it to loosten it and hit it with a hammer.

if this doesnt work vise grips always do pretty good to. lol

Comment

Funny, we have all had some weird combination's haven't we?
        http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=110816

1994 GSX750F Katana with:

Michelin Pilot Road 2's, 120/70, 150/70,
        Race Tech 1.0kg springs with 25mm preload,
        R6 rear shock w/14.3kg Eibach spring,
        1" Soupys bar risers, Zero Gravity windshield,
        RK GXW Gold Chain, My own fender eliminator,
        3BBB turn signal mirrors,
        Black painted seat and rear trim,
        Nelson-Rigg CL-135, CL-150, CL-950.

Comment

nice sticky..

Comment

after losing a few bolts every time i worked on my car i found small tackle boxes perfect for holding parts.

Comment

Originally posted by hawkeye34428 View Post
              I am suprized no one add this one.

for corroded batteries. pour coke (the soda damn it) on the corrosion and then just brush it away with a rag.

Coke and tin foil to shine anything chrome, removes rust too! YES it works

Comment

if you break off a bolt or screw and its flush with the surface, take a die grinder and notch it, heat it with a torch and turn it out with a standard screw driver.
                LIL NICK

Comment

Also going with the bolts or small parts in the tackle box baby food containers work really well also pill bottles like from the pharmacy work great alot of times they will donate some to ya or just get.some old person to give ya there's (no offence to those that consider themselves old) also if its the first time taking something apart most new phones can take pictures. Number the parts or cables and take a pic with it pushed in anderson the # on it and there ya go sry for punctuation and spelling phone has a mind of its own sometimes
                  Last edited by silencebe4thestorm; 08-25-2011, 10:12 PM.

Comment

- Fastener organization : Tearing something apart that might be apart for awhile? (Like fairings etc)..and you don't want to forget where each bolt goes? Instead of using zip loc bags with labels, try this....when removing a fairing for example, simply remove the fairing, then thread each bolt back in the hole in came from. They won't get lost, and you won't have to guess which bolt goes where when you go to put it back together.

dAMN.. i wish i would have thought about that before i pulled my fairing off last week.. the ones that are STILL off lol, i put all the bolts in a bag like you said but thats not gunna hellp me find out how to get them back into the correct spot!

Comment

posishing glass or chrome, use 0000 steel wool. Old detailers trick and works great. I keep some in my truck when I'm on the road, makes for easy bug clean offs.
                      sigpic

Comment

valve stem remover? 3/8 tranny tube.or any metal tube,take hacksaw cut notch in the middle of tube,there you have it,works like a charm.
                        sigpic

Comment

I've saved some of the Phosphoric acid from my tank wash/prep/coating kit to help rid my nuts-n-bolts of rust and corrosion. Even some small parts, ESPECIALLY the battery basket! Just please be careful when using it. It's a little more caustic than regular coke/soda, but it's alot less sticky!
                          1991 Kat 600 Fightered
                          2001 SV650 Naked
                          2011 Roketa 150 Scooter

Comment

Having a problem getting the bike to start after removing/reinstalling the gas tank? Don't want to run the battery down or just want to check your petcock diaphragm without disassembly? Take an extra fuel tube, lift the tank up just high enough to access the vacuum line. Attach the extra line and gently suck, you'll see the fuel flow into the filter.

Don't have a ruler to measure slack? Don't have marks to align to anymore?
                            Loosen the rear axle, loosen the chain. Have a friend sit on the bike til: the front sprocket, the pivot of the swingarm, and the rear axle are lined up. Tighten everything but leave a small amount of slack in the chain.

When the rear axle, pivot point of the swingarm, and the front sprocket line up; this is the tightest point or you could say this is the point of full extension on the chain itself.

Sent from my phone

Comment

taking the side covers off and the bolts are different lengths

draw the cover out on a piece of cardboard and poke the bolts threw the cardboard to keep them in order AND

you cand also wrap a piece if rigid wire(household wire) around a broom handle to make spring like coil ,add an aligator clips to each end of the wire for a homemade soldering holder fixture

Originally posted by BPryz View Post
                              use the top to a spray paint can as a third hand when soldering. cut two slits on either side, a
                              nd seat your wires in the slits. this will keep your wires in contact with eachother, leaving your hands free to hold solder and the soldering iron.
                              Last edited by rexazz2; 02-24-2013, 10:15 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                              Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

When you perform a valve adjustment on a shim type head, use a magnet reach tool to remove and install shims. This will keep you from having to chase a dropped one.
                                "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                                spammer police
                                USAF veteran
                                If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Working...
                                X