Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

idle circuit??...pilot screw??...rejet???? PLEASE HELP!!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• idle circuit??...pilot screw??...rejet???? PLEASE HELP!!!

I just installed a D & D slip this weekend, but it's sounding kind of like a harley between idle and about 4500rpms, above that it sounds good. I'm also getting a bit of backfire upon deceleration. After searching the forum I've seen a couple of articles that had solutions:

1.)Adjust the idle circuit and there not being a need to rejet since it is only a slip-on. Is this true? If so, how do I adjust the idle circuit? Where is it located? Pics anyone?

2.) Same as 1, except adjusting the pilot screw instead of the idle circuit, not sure if it's the same thing or not. How do I adjust, where is it located?

3.) A possible rejet. I am really trying to stay away from the rejet due to cost issues. If I do in fact need a rejet can anyone tell me a round about price range for parts and labor? The cheapest kit I found was about $100, then I'm not sure how much labor would be. If I don't rejet will it hurt the engine or carbs? Or just run/sound so-so.

ANY INPUT IS APPRECIATED!!!!!

Fill out your ride profile so we have a clue what bike year/model/make you have!

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

It's a 2000 kat600.

Comment

Backfire on deceleration is from the idle circuit (pilot screw settings) being too lean for the change in back-pressure. Are you still using the stock air filter? (you should be on that bike!).

You can find where the pilot screws are on this webpage of mine:
        motorcycleanchor.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, motorcycleanchor.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

As for the rejet, if you go that route, spend the extra $$ up front to get the Ivan's Performance Products jetkit for your bike -- the cheaper kits will require post-install tuning that will jack your price up by significantly more, where the Ivan's will "simply work" (and it's the most powerful of the bunch). If you order the Ivan's, be sure to tell them your bike's specific configuration (such as if you are running an aftermarket air filter, and that it's too lean at idle once you slapped the D&D on); he'll substitute in the right jets for your configuration.

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

To stop the backfire do I need to adjust the pilot screws directly, or can I adjust the black knob that comes out of the left side of the fairing? In order to adjust the pilot screws themselves it looks like I'd have to remove the carbs, in which case I might as well rejet.

Comment

Originally posted by jaimzc
            To stop the backfire do I need to adjust the pilot screws directly, or can I adjust the black knob that comes out of the left side of the fairing? In order to adjust the pilot screws themselves it looks like I'd have to remove the carbs, in which case I might as well rejet.
            The only way to stop the after-fires that occur on decel is to richen up the idle circuit. The only ways to richen up the idle circuit is to either put more resistance in the intake (higher-resistance air filter), or to change the pilot settings -- UNLESS your idle circuit passages are partially clogged with dried fuel residues or other debris (which some fuel system cleaner would correct quickly).

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
            X