X

2 chains or 1?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 chains or 1?

Does anyone here have an extended swingarm that they actually move? I am going to have an adjustable on my bike for when I want to drag it, but am tossing an idea around in my head. What I have read on the info I could find, they all say the same thing....need 2 chains. Well, why? Why can't you just carry a spare lenth of chain and a spare link? then all you have to do when you arrive at the track is take out the master link and add the extra chain and have 2 master links. Anyone do this...or know someone who does? I don't know...just makes more economic and practical sense to me.
    I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Why can't you just carry a spare length of chain and a spare link?
    because master links are a weak point in the chain, having 2 is doubling your worries.
    Unfortunately it is costly, there is enough room for the spare chain if you want to ride to the track.
    TDA Racing/Motorsports
    1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
    Who knows what is next?
    Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
    Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Originally posted by THAZKAT
      Why can't you just carry a spare lenth of chain and a spare link?
      because master links are a weak point in the chain, having 2 is doubling your worries.
      Unfortunately it is costly, there is enough room for the spare chain if you want to ride to the track.
      +1...not worth the risk Mojoe!

Comment

I thought they made idlers for that..

Comment

I know someone who does this (has a spare length of links and extra master clips under the seat). My advice is to keep at least two additional master clips at hand under the seat at all times (hey, they're like $2 or $2.50).

Cheers
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Overhere insurance won't pay if you're running any bike which has more than 34 Kw output with a masterlink....

Comment

Originally posted by kwebbel
              Overhere insurance won't pay if you're running any bike which has more than 34 Kw output with a masterlink....
              Smart
              On the other hand, with new materials (titanium, etc), I think that the regulation on Masterlinks vs. Insurance probably is outdated as well -- I'm sure they can handle 80 HP easily. Too bad we're talking about 200 HP in this case

Maybe it's time to find a 540 chain?

Cheers
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by Cyber
                Maybe it's time to find a 540 chain?
                I think your right. I will go for 2 chains...and was sort of planning on it anyway. I was just curious for some input to be sure.
                I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Working...
                X