No announcement yet.
X

NEVER scrub a chain again

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seriously, someone needs to build them a better website.

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

Thanks HD....... I'll be giving it a try.

Originally posted by BareKat View Post
      HardlyDangerous, are there any local suppliers? i.e. Canadian Tire, Wally world, etc. ?
      Yup....
      sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
      ------------------------------------------
      89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
      96 YZF 1000R

Comment

I have a gallon of it in the garage

BTW Napa sells it

FYI
        My Bandit chain seemed impossible to keep lubed
        Never had any trouble with othe bikes
        A couple weeks ago I soaked it with Sea Foam penetrating oil
        It seems like it did the job

Originally posted by Badfaerie View Post
        But it isn't made from lanolin!
        one of the local trucking companies used it on a trailer
        they said it was the first stuff that was still in place working after a coastal run
        Last edited by rexazz2; 06-22-2012, 05:08 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
        Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

Crappy Tire
          NAPA
          Walmart
          Many Automotive supply stores.

The customer that turned me onto Fluid film is an electrician/electrical engineer that worked for the US military wiring submarines and air craft.
          They used this to lubricate, protect and water proof components and exposed metals. He siad back then it was only available in a bucket and had to be brushed on. Now its available in spray cans.

Just today I used it on a customers 750 shadow right in front of him to clean up his swing arm and faded controls and frame paint. I explained it lubes the pivot points but also cleans and restores the paint finish. He was amazed
          Last edited by hardlydangerous; 06-22-2012, 05:51 PM.
          98 GSX750F
          95 Honda VT600 vlx
          08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Yeah, but how long does it last? Lanolin is not a petroleum product so I don't really understand how it can last longer than grease or other oils. I'm not doubting it works as lanolin is good stuff, just hesitant about longevity.

Comment

Originally posted by 05RedKat600 View Post
              Yeah, but how long does it last? Lanolin is not a petroleum product so I don't really understand how it can last longer than grease or other oils. I'm not doubting it works as lanolin is good stuff, just hesitant about longevity.
              Lanolin is a grease. Depending on the breed, it is either waxy or oily. I doesn't break down with exposure to light, air or temps below 170 degrees either. I don't see why it wouldn't last at least as long as a petro product.
              Get over yourself. For me to think you are an idiot, I would first need to think of you.

sigpic

Comment

Lanolin is a grease. Depending on the breed, it is either waxy or oily. I doesn't break down with exposure to light, air or temps below 170 degrees either. I don't see why it wouldn't last at least as long as a petro product.
                Yeah, I knew it was a grease but it's an animal product vs petroleum stuffs. Got any more info like that? I'm kind of stubborn. I have my ways and methods and in order to change them I needs lots o' evidence to convince me otherwise, ya know?

Comment

I don't have specific information on it's longevity in this preparation, but lanolin is a moisture of long chain and hydroxy esters, and hydrocarbons, among other things (acids, alcohols the exact composition depends on the breeds). It has been long used as a protectant against corrosion and as a water repellant. Two specific examples off the top of my head would be "greasy wool" being left in the teeth of iron and steel wool combs and cards to protect them and fleece lined sword scabbards.

There are specific cultural examples as well of various lubrication uses including specific examples of nautical purposes.

However, once the refining of oil became cheap and easy and cheap, (did I mention cheap) lanolin fell out of favor for the more industrial types of uses, mainly due to the relatively difficult and low yield. The "greasiest" fleeces only product a maximum of 25-30% of the weight in lanolin, and the extraction destroys the wool fibers. At the same time the most desirable wools for use in the garment and textile industry, product the highest amounts of lanolin. (Merino and it's offshoot breeds like Cormo, Ramboulette, Columbia, Targhee) Long wools and "meat" breeds tend to only produce about 5-10% lanolin by fleece weight.

I know a woman that was doing research on the industrial use of wool byproducts during the industrial revolution. I sent her a message on Rav to see if she has any sources and/or data she can share. It might be a while before she gets back to me though, Ravelry is still a bit of a hornet's nest after that Olympic thing a few days ago.
                  Get over yourself. For me to think you are an idiot, I would first need to think of you.

sigpic

Comment

I don't have specific information on it's longevity in this preparation, but lanolin is a moisture of long chain and hydroxy esters, and hydrocarbons, among other things (acids, alcohols the exact composition depends on the breeds). It has been long used as a protectant against corrosion and as a water repellant. Two specific examples off the top of my head would be "greasy wool" being left in the teeth of iron and steel wool combs and cards to protect them and fleece lined sword scabbards.

There are specific cultural examples as well of various lubrication uses including specific examples of nautical purposes.

However, once the refining of oil became cheap and easy and cheap, (did I mention cheap) lanolin fell out of favor for the more industrial types of uses, mainly due to the relatively difficult and low yield. The "greasiest" fleeces only product a maximum of 25-30% of the weight in lanolin, and the extraction destroys the wool fibers. At the same time the most desirable wools for use in the garment and textile industry, product the highest amounts of lanolin. (Merino and it's offshoot breeds like Cormo, Ramboulette, Columbia, Targhee) Long wools and "meat" breeds tend to only produce about 5-10% lanolin by fleece weight.

I know a woman that was doing research on the industrial use of wool byproducts during the industrial revolution. I sent her a message on Rav to see if she has any sources and/or data she can share. It might be a while before she gets back to me though, Ravelry is still a bit of a hornet's nest after that Olympic thing a few days ago.
                    Whoa. Sounds like cool stuff!!! Thanks! Might just be enough for me to at least try this stuff.

Comment

I remember when this first came out and was only $6-7 / can
                      Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

Thanks,

Picked some up tonight.

Originally posted by Slofuze View Post
                        Thanks HD....... I'll be giving it a try.

Yup....
                        http://www.canadiantire.ca/search/se...08474396672395
                        2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
                        2005 Suzuki 750 Katana, sold
                        1984 Kawasaki gpz 550, sold
                        1982 Suzuki gs400e - sold
                        1973 Honda cb350 - sold

Comment

Originally posted by 05RedKat600 View Post
                          Whoa. Sounds like cool stuff!!! Thanks! Might just be enough for me to at least try this stuff.

Isn't it awesome when 2 seemingly completely diverse and seperate hobbys come together....

Krey
                          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Hi,
                            This is Bob from Kellsport Products. We have received several emails from members of this site, so I thought I would just step in and introduce myself.
                            First of all, thank you very much for those of you that have tried Fluid Film. We sincerely appreciate the oportunity to earn your business.

Many of you have never heard of Fluid Film, although the product has been around for almost 70 years, since 1943. If I can answer any questions, please let me know. Below is a brief history of Fluid Film.

can simplycast.jpg
                            When the U.S. Navy needed to conquer the costs and delays of battling rust and corrosion in the ballast tanks of its thousands of combat and support vessels in World War II, an innovative chemist formulated a powerful weapon based on an unlikely ingredient: lanolin (wool wax). The savings were immediate. The costs of chipping, sealing and painting were greatly reduced. The new film penetrated corrosion and rust quickly. Application was simple. Protective action was long lasting and economical. The weapon was Fluid FilmŪ, produced in a variety of easy use forms by Eureka Chemical Company. Operating since 1943 and incorporated in 1953, the company continues as a family-owned business managed by descendants of the founding chemist. From its first seagoing use in the 1940's, Fluid FilmŪ has been proved in some of the most severe conditions: industrial, agricultural, raw-terrain construction - even on the space shuttle. Modified over time to adapt to environmental and application considerations, it's non-toxic, non-hazardous, contains no solvents and is environmentally friendlier. Fluid FilmŪ continues to serve as the most effective corrosion control and long-term lubricant for industry, agriculture, manufacturing and vehicle undercoating.
                            Last edited by bob1008; 06-23-2012, 08:12 AM.
                            Bob
                            www.kellsportproducts.com

Comment

Hey Bob,

Thanks for joining the forum to answer questions.

Since I replaced my chain last year I've been using chain wax instead of oil and it seems to repel dirt and grit well. I found with traditional chain lube the dirt and grit accelerted chain and o-ring wear.

I used some fluid film on the chain last night an it looks like it actually stripped the wax from the chain. Will fluid film repel dirt and grit as well? On initial impressions it looks like I may have to do more cleaning with fluid film over chain wax.
                              2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
                              2005 Suzuki 750 Katana, sold
                              1984 Kawasaki gpz 550, sold
                              1982 Suzuki gs400e - sold
                              1973 Honda cb350 - sold

Comment

From what I read on the site BK, it says it provides a non tacky surface so it won't gunk up with dirt like when using oil.
                                From BF's earlier post, lanolin can be produced in either a waxy or more oily form. My take is that fluid film would be more on the waxy side.
                                1992- project katfighter
                                2005- GSXR750
                                2001- TL1000R
                                http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
                                www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
                                KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
                                KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

Working...
                                X