X

Kat Overhaul!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kat Overhaul!

Attention all Kat Riders! My bike is in need of some major overhauling. I'm going to be buying new brake lines, brakes, switching handlebars, replacing tires, and replacing my chain! I have a 99 Kat 750 and would like some input on good brands and maybe some links on how to install it all!

Good luck with it!

I'd pick one system and maintain it first, get it fully working before tackling anything else.

For example, strip and rebuild the brake systems, get them fully functional before tearing into electrics or carbs. That way you'll still have a rideable machine

Brake lines - I'd replace any OEM rubber lines with stainless steel braided. Full caliper rebuilds and scrub the rotors. EBC pads all round for me, but others will have their own reccomendations.

I have no suggestions on different handlebars unfortunately.

Tyres - well, Conti Motions for me because I have a pillion 90% of the time I'm not commuting to work, and don't ride my bike anywhere near it's limits, and I just like them!

Carbs could do with a full rebuild, K&L kits and the usual cleaning suspects.

Chain and sprockets - avoid anything cheap. Seriously. Mild steel junk that could give you a very very bad day indeed. D.I.D or EK for me. They are spendy when you add them all up, but will last a long time. You also won't be known as "that guy with the $20 chrome chain" lol

Emgo for air filter. K&N for oil filter. NGK for sparkplugs (highly suggest the iridiums), just my thoughts. I use all these on my own bike and will replace them with the same when the time comes.

As far as actually performing the work, you can do all of it yourself pretty easily with the correct tools. Take your time, and double check everything to be satisfied you've done it right. Brakes and drive are, obviously, especially critical. The only thing I would suggest you get some shop help with is replacing the chain and sprockets. It'll cost you money, sure, but for a beginner I'd say it was worth it. Ask them if you can watch the procedure. See if that can be done at the same time as mounting the new tyres - might save a bit of shop time that way, as the wheels will be off anyway
    Last edited by Stumpy; 09-02-2013, 12:04 PM. Reason: forgot tyres

Comment

+1, contact GSXFjim of 7thgeardesigns for the sprockets, He is a member here. He does great work. D.I.D chain or RK chain.
      "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
      spammer police
      USAF veteran
      If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

G and J aircraft brake lines. I purchased both front and rear and got the 3 line system eliminating the spliter on the front
        Everything from the best brake pads to use, installing new brake lines,
        swing arm swaps, adjusting your suspension or rebuilding your forks.
        Everything you need to know on those topics and so much more is here.
        Ride like it's your last ride
        sigpic

Comment

Working...
        X