X

carb / fuel issues...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carb / fuel issues...

so I've got my 98 model 600 Kat that has been an ongoing project. just in the past 6 months or so have I actully gotten it street legal and started riding it.
    on more than one occasion, it has died on me while going down the road. its always acted like it ran out of gas, started sputtering and died. I've re-routed the fuel line to where i can see the fuel filter through the left side body panel so i could see if there's fuel in the line while im riding, just glance down and comfirm theres fuel in the filter. at one point i thought that when i re-routed the fuel line, it was getting pinched in between the panel and frame. pretty sure that i've ruled that out since i've made a hard line to go from the petcock to the filter now and from the filter to the fuel rail on the carbs.
    I've replaced the fuel lines and filter on more than one occasion, i've done my best to sync the carbs, that was a learning experience and very frustrating to start with but I feel confident that they are good to go now.
    is it possible that the O-ring on the carb boot is leaking and not allowing enough vacuum to pull open the petcock? I've also drained the tank, removed the petcock and taken it apart once or twice to see if there was any trash in it, always been clean.
    its begining to get pretty frustrating, should i just get carb rebuild kits and new O-rings and do all that next?

I woukd suggest a carb clean and rebuild if you see worn out parts..i just got done with my carb cleaning and took it out for the first time after finishing it up and the power diffrence is amazing..before i coukdnt get the tire to leave the ground at 9k rpms now its standing straight up at around 7k..to me that makes it worth while

Comment

If you have rerouted the filter from where it's meant to be - I'm not surprised you are having problems!

You want your lines as short and straight as possible - not pinched between anything, with minimal bends and the filter vertical. Are you sure you have the correct filter? Is it correctly mounted with flow down?

On all my filters - I can't see if there's even fuel in the things - they are steel cans. Even the OEM plastic one is highly opaque and hard to tell if there's anything in there.

Comment

firefighter, that does sound like it has made a HUGE difference for you. I bought a DynoJet kit for my bike awhile back and have yet to put it in. i didnt have a way to sync the carbs before, now i'd like to get the rebuild kits and O-rings for the carb boots and do it all at one time.

Stumpy, whoever had the bike before me had already moved the filter from the stock location, I honestly have no clue as to where its "supposed" to be. that being said, i've never really thought about it from that perspective, just always assumed that if the lines where in good shape, large enough to allow enough fuel to feed the beast and were not pinched or kinked then there wouldn't be a problem.
        the fuel filter is not going to be the OE replacement but it is in line for the fuel to flow down through it. unless I'm looking at this wrong, the problem is the fuel getting to the filter, not past it.
        it may be just my own stubborness, but i kind of like to have a filter that is clear enough to be able to see in it. that way i can see what is going on.
        by all means, if I'm wrong, let me know. I make no illusions that I know more than anyone else (if I did, I wouldnt be asking questions)

Comment

Originally posted by JsnArnold View Post
          firefighter, that does sound like it has made a HUGE difference for you. I bought a DynoJet kit for my bike awhile back and have yet to put it in. i didnt have a way to sync the carbs before, now i'd like to get the rebuild kits and O-rings for the carb boots and do it all at one time.

Stumpy, whoever had the bike before me had already moved the filter from the stock location, I honestly have no clue as to where its "supposed" to be. that being said, i've never really thought about it from that perspective, just always assumed that if the lines where in good shape, large enough to allow enough fuel to feed the beast and were not pinched or kinked then there wouldn't be a problem.
          the fuel filter is not going to be the OE replacement but it is in line for the fuel to flow down through it. unless I'm looking at this wrong, the problem is the fuel getting to the filter, not past it.
          it may be just my own stubborness, but i kind of like to have a filter that is clear enough to be able to see in it. that way i can see what is going on.
          by all means, if I'm wrong, let me know. I make no illusions that I know more than anyone else (if I did, I wouldnt be asking questions)
          You can test the petcock is working properly.

Pull the line off the carbs, and apply suction. While doing so, fold the line (kink it). You should see fuel flow for a good min+. If it dies out shortly after, or does not flow well, or not at all... then you have an issue.

What fuel filter are you using? Got a pic? Is it a paper element inside?

If it's paper, that's bad.

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

+1 on what Krey said.

The actual filter and lines themselves will make no difference if, as you said, they are to specification and free of obstruction. Just make sure it's a metal foam or mesh filter. Paper is - I think - for fuel-pumps and will not work properly on a gravity-fed system like our Kats. Having said that - I personally have never seen a paper fuel filter in my life, so caveat lector!

Comment

Kreylyn, i havent tried to diagnose the petcock the way that you described, i will try that this afternoon. but i have taken the petcock out of the tank to disassemble, clean and look for any obvious problems with it on more than one occasion and never noticed anything wrong.
              I do have some pics, but cant get them to upload for some reason.

Comment

Working...
              X