X

Still can't adjust clutch

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Still can't adjust clutch

I installed a new clutch cable and adjusted according to the manual and a post on this forum. I am sure I did everything right but the clutch won't fully engage. In first gear at a stop. I can hold the bike still with my feet after letting the clutch lever all the way out and the bike doesn't die. I can barely get to twenty miles per hour and that is a task. I really need to get it going again but I need serious help. It's a '97 600. Thanks for any suggestions.

well, if you adjusted it to the HS2020 how-to and it still isn't right, might be time to visit the shop.

Comment

I don't know if I can get it to the shop.

Comment

well don't ride it anymore
        you will fry the clutch if you have not already.

Remove the black plug on the sprocket cover and using a wrench and screw driver, loosen the locknut and back the adjuster off several turns, turn the cable adjuster on the bars all the way in. Then turn in the adjuster screw clockwise until you just feel resistance stop! Then back it off counter clockwise 1/4 turn and tighten the lock nut. then adjust the cable free play at the adjuster on the cable above the sprocket cover so you have about 3/8" free play at the lever.
        If that does not work then you installed the clutch wrong or have the wrong kit.
        98 GSX750F
        95 Honda VT600 vlx
        08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

I didn't even change the clutch, just the cable. The clutch was fine before I that. I will try it again.

Comment

It's really important to follow the procedure HS2020 wrote to the letter.
            If you are still getting no joy look into the possibility the cable isn't right somewhere.

Why did you change the cable? If it was for obvious reasons (frayed ends or broken) fine, but if you think it was because it was stretched out it may have actually been a broken yoke on the release mechanism..

Comment

Well , if it don';t wanna move while in gear and clutch out , that'd mean the cable is basically pushing the rod IN too much all the time (cable too tight) . I would guess you messed up an adjustment when you put the new cable in . I did that a few years ago . REALLY sucky , and kinda scary (did I break my bike ? ) , but easily remedied . Do like Hardleydangerous says , and you SHOULD be good to go .
              I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

I see
                Did you have to remove the cam/worm gear push rod assembly when you installed the new cable?

If so you may want to go back and recheck that. I know when I had mine apart last spring to grease the gears I had to try a couple times to get everything alligned properly.
                98 GSX750F
                95 Honda VT600 vlx
                08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

I changed it because it was hanging on by a couple of threads. It could have snapped any moment. I had to remove the shift lever and and the rod attached to it but thats it. Can rerouting the cable make a difference?

Comment

no, you don't have to remove the worm gear. Take that rubber cover off on the sprocket cover, over the worm gear and adjust that screw. Loosen the lock nut an adjust that screw to 1/2 turn out.

Comment

Working...
                    X