No announcement yet.
X

Katma from Nova Scotia

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe I'm just not seeing what I'm supposed to see, but I don't think the damage is all that bad. If you have all the pieces, it's definitely repairable......some plastic welding,some two-stage epoxy, and patience.
    sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
    ------------------------------------------
    89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
    96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Originally posted by Slofuze View Post
      Maybe I'm just not seeing what I'm supposed to see, but I don't think the damage is all that bad. If you have all the pieces, it's definitely repairable......some plastic welding,some two-stage epoxy, and patience.
      +1^^^

#1 key to the repair is patience as Slofuze say's. I tried ABS glue which seems to work well. As far as the missing piece on the upper cooling hole I would build that up with fiber glass. But from the pictures the damage does not look bad enough to scrap them.

While the fairings are off what are these mechanical issues you speak of?

Welcome to the Forum
      Last edited by dano68; 08-29-2014, 03:12 PM.
      2002 750 Kat
      2013 Polaris 850 XP LE(wrecked)
      2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800
      2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800 X-package
      1999 Ski-Doo MXZ 670 H.O.
      2009 Kawasaki KX250F(SOLD)

Comment

Originally posted by dano68 View Post
        +1^^^

#1 key to the repair is patience as Slofuze say's. I tried ABS glue which seems to work well. As far as the missing piece on the upper cooling hole I would build that up with fiber glass. But from the pictures the damage does not look bad enough to scrap them.

While the fairings are off what are these mechanical issues you speak of?

Welcome to the Forum

Re Patience: I promise I will try harder If we can get a spot cleaned up in the garage we can probably make it happen. Some of the little clips are gone, but we could probably fasten the parts on by other methods. We have the bolts/washers, etc. It doesn't have to be pretty, just put together enough so he can ride it.

Re Mechanical: I think it's gummed up from sitting all winter with gas in the tank. It starts, runs for about 3 to 5 minutes then shuts down. It's not the battery, we have had the charger on it.

It's definitely turning into a project bike. It must have happened so that we can spend quality Mommy-Son time together.

I do appreciate your input, however.

Comment

Check out the katana wiki at the top, you can download a service manual for the bike for free and there is an article called carbs102, and i believe even a video. Its a full carb clean walkthrough, done properly. Be sure to inlcude your son. The carbs are the heart and soul to these bikes. 9 times out 10, if its runnin funny, its in the carbs. I can guarantee that if it was left all winter without being drained, the carbs are some kind of gummed up.

When i first got my bike, the coils crapped out on me.... it would run for 15 minutes, then be dead for 20 minutes, then fire up and run, then die. May or may not be an issue but once you get the carbs in, a quick once over of the ignition system wouldnt hurt.
          My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
          http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
          2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Originally posted by maniac1886 View Post
            Check out the katana wiki at the top, you can download a service manual for the bike for free and there is an article called carbs102, and i believe even a video. Its a full carb clean walkthrough, done properly. Be sure to inlcude your son. The carbs are the heart and soul to these bikes. 9 times out 10, if its runnin funny, its in the carbs. I can guarantee that if it was left all winter without being drained, the carbs are some kind of gummed up.

When i first got my bike, the coils crapped out on me.... it would run for 15 minutes, then be dead for 20 minutes, then fire up and run, then die. May or may not be an issue but once you get the carbs in, a quick once over of the ignition system wouldnt hurt.

Thanks maniac1886. I knew you guys would be able to point me in the right direction! Videos are of great assistance in something like this. The first thing I will get my son involved in is the garage clean up!

I also have another lead on bike parts from a place in South Carolina- New and Used Cycle Parts: http://www.newandusedcycleparts.com/indexbody.htm
            But maybe I won't need them???

Comment

I don't have a ton of experience doing it, but I've worked on fairings in worse shape that that. I had good results with ABS cement, as someone else previously mentioned. Since the fairings are made of ABS, it works quite well. You can even make new mounting tabs. Take some clay and make an imprint of an unbroken tab, fill the imprint with the ABS cement, let it dry, then remove it from your mold and use more ABS to attach it.
              Most hardware stores should carry it, most likely in the plumbing section by PVC pipes.

Fiberglass bends differently than the plastics used for the fairings, so you're more likely to have it break there again, but it's also easier to work with. Pick your poison.

Good luck!
              1998 Katana 750
              1992 Katana 1100
              2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Originally posted by shpielers View Post
                I don't have a ton of experience doing it, but I've worked on fairings in worse shape that that. I had good results with ABS cement, as someone else previously mentioned. Since the fairings are made of ABS, it works quite well. You can even make new mounting tabs. Take some clay and make an imprint of an unbroken tab, fill the imprint with the ABS cement, let it dry, then remove it from your mold and use more ABS to attach it.
                Most hardware stores should carry it, most likely in the plumbing section by PVC pipes.

Fiberglass bends differently than the plastics used for the fairings, so you're more likely to have it break there again, but it's also easier to work with. Pick your poison.

Good luck!

Thanks shpielers. I think we might even have some ABS cement here to experiment with. You sure make it sound easy. I think after we get going it won't seem like such a mystery.

Comment

Welcome to Katriders
                  My dad was from Cheti Camp and mother from Halifax so I'm a down easterner..lol Great people there and love the cabot trail for riding. As others have posted here already the carbs just need to be cleaned up & easy to get at while the fairings are off for repair. I used fiberglass-bondo to repair mine . Taped one side poured fiberglass mix-resin
                  on the other side to fill holes ,cracks ect.. worked like a charm . Abs plastic weld works too. Some of the best memories of my dad was working together
                  with him in the garage fixing lawnmowers, mini-bikes & snowmobiles. Enjoy the time together, its all good.

Comment

Originally posted by loneraider View Post
                    Welcome to Katriders
                    My dad was from Cheti Camp and mother from Halifax so I'm a down easterner..lol Great people there and love the cabot trail for riding. As others have posted here already the carbs just need to be cleaned up & easy to get at while the fairings are off for repair. I used fiberglass-bondo to repair mine . Taped one side poured fiberglass mix-resin
                    on the other side to fill holes ,cracks ect.. worked like a charm . Abs plastic weld works too. Some of the best memories of my dad was working together
                    with him in the garage fixing lawnmowers, mini-bikes & snowmobiles. Enjoy the time together, its all good.

Hey there loneraider. "Down east" is getting cold, there was frost this morning! We live closer to Halifax, but hope to get up around the trail when the leaves are turning. It was foggy last trip around, but still beautiful. Not much progress on the garage clean up so we will have a place to work. The weather is nice so I've been riding my own bike. It will happen eventually - you guys make it "sound" pretty easy. I also found a carb cleaning video on YouTube.

Comment

Working...
                    X