No announcement yet.
X

Fender Chop / Tail Light Mod

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

zuzu, what are you fastening the bracket to? Are those the bolts for the rear handgrip? I want to do this on my 94 600 but don't want to screw it up.

Comment

Not quite

Originally posted by rbunton
      zuzu, what are you fastening the bracket to? Are those the bolts for the rear handgrip? I want to do this on my 94 600 but don't want to screw it up.
      Rbunton, NO!! Those are not the bolts for the rear handgrip. Those would be some long a$$ bolts. I am not intimately familiar with the pre-98s, but the bracket was fastened to where the rear fairings (following along the bottom of the seat) attached to the rear fender or undertail. If you look at AHFs guide on how to do this mod, mine is basically the same and attaches at the same point, I just had to modify the bracket to make it stronger. Sorry I can't be of much help, but I just haven't had the opportunity to tear a pre-98 apart yet, though I am sure someone on hear could help you out. Good luck to you.
      2000 Katana 600 (Sold )
      2008 GSXR 600

Comment

thanks for this timely info

my next mod is chopping the shovel
        You're Welcome,
        - The Social Invalid

Comment

Good to hear...

Glad to hear this may help someone out... though the credit is AHFs.
          2000 Katana 600 (Sold )
          2008 GSXR 600

Comment

hey thanks alot worked out great

Comment

Nicely done tutorial

Comment

AHF...I dont know if you're still here or not but i was curious as to what kind of fender you have installed in your pics. Looks like a R6 fender

Comment

Thanks for all the info and details on this everyone... very helpful and can't wait to get that fender off my kat!

Comment

Well, I chopped the fender on my 2005 Katana 750 and hand fabricated a bracket from sheet metal. I think it turned out pretty well.

I had all of the tools I needed and already had the primer and paint. I think I paid $3 for the sheet metal at Lowe's and maybe .20 for the machine screws?

1. I removed the seat, grab bar, and tail fairings and chopped the fender off smooth with the underside of the tail fairing using an air disc cut-off tool.

2. I drew out the flat pattern of the fender eliminator I designed.

3. Drill the holes out while it is just drawn on the full piece of sheet metal. (Trust me, I didn't and it is a complete PITA to do later!)

4. Cut out the flat bracket. I used the cut-off disc you can use whatever you like. Grind the corners off the ears for the turn signals so they are rounded. (I don't have a pic of this until the final one.)

5. Bend the bracket where the smaller lines are shown in the diagram.

6. Prime and Paint the bracket the color of your choice. (I chose a semi-flat black to make it blend into the fender well.)

7. Attach this to the inner fender using the two holes drilled and two machine screws with nyloc nuts.

8. Install the turn signals. (I used some smaller cat-eye signals with clear lenses that I bought for $15.)

9. Re-assemble your bikes tail section. (Be sure you have the release cable for the seat hooked back up properly before installing the seat!)

10. Take pics! (Be sure to take some before pics too!)

(What looks like extra bolts at the corners of the reflector in this is a reflection in the tail paint of the screws and corners of the tag frame.)
                    -2005 Katana GSX750F ***SOLD***
                    -2006 Kawasaki ZX-6R

RideGear.com (I keep shooting, but they won't DIE!)

Comment

hey so uh.......anything for us pre 98 Kat riders?
                      YYYEEEAAAHHH BOY! OVER 425 RIDING MILES AND COUNTING!

Comment

I gotta do it.

Comment

Why does everyone pixel/blot out their tag numbers?
                          ... just curious.
                          GSX600F RIP 3/2006 - 6/9/2008

Comment

I.D. theft/vehicle cloning?
                            Riding 2002 GSX600F for 2 years. UK rider.

Comment

No point in letting everyone on in the internet have access to your license plate. In some states, you can pull public records that include your home address. This makes the internet a perfect spot to find a bike you like, get their plate info, go to that person's house, and steal their bike. No thanks. They can work for it by staking out my place like the old times.
                              Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
                              -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
                              -Terence

Comment

Originally posted by brooder
                                No point in letting everyone on in the internet have access to your license plate. In some states, you can pull public records that include your home address. This makes the internet a perfect spot to find a bike you like, get their plate info, go to that person's house, and steal their bike. No thanks. They can work for it by staking out my place like the old times.
                                Good point, I guess... I guess it would be faster on the net, than say you see the vehicle on the road and jot down the tag...

LOL @ Bike cloning...
                                GSX600F RIP 3/2006 - 6/9/2008

Comment

Working...
                                X