X

cheap from china?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cheap from china?

i found these while i was looking for oil cooled gsxr brakes. and they seem too good to be true.

$150 + 45 sh&h
    for a pair of Gsxr wave rotors! from Hong Kong.

ronayers has theirs listed for $204 per rotor!

idk about this ya know?
    Please, Just go home, relax, and have a think or two... hell... have as many as you can handle! It'll do all of us some good.
    Tony
    94 Katana 600

I'm not dissing China, but they're obviously not of the same quality of the name brands, but then again, with name brands, what usually jacks up the price 10 fold is the name.

They're not cheap enough for me to say f*ck it and try it, cause you'd be out 200$ if I said that.

Honestly, I would research them more. They have an Aluminum alloy center and stainless steel outer ring. If the ones for 240$ each have a lot better metal, than that accounts for the price jump.

Don't jump the gun on this deal, but if they're made of the same metals, I'd say go for it
    - Remember -
    Ride wherever the road takes you and
    never stop until every inch of pavement
    has tasted your rubber.

Comment

BE Carefull. Some produtcs from china are cheaper because the workers are just payed less and there is less export taxes, but the quality is very good.

ON THE OTHER HAND: some products are just cheap copies with 2nd or 3rd quality material.

Try to get an opinion from someone who knows the brand. Cheap may cost you more further down the line.
      Last edited by David F C; 01-31-2010, 08:02 AM.
      Too old to dream, too young to reason...
      I am fond of my rough edges.
      sigpic

Comment

Look good to me...

Being as a great deal of metal is now sourced from China, I don't think there would be too much of an issue there. Not sure how good stainless works for the rotors, but it would be more resistant to rubbing. Most OEM rotors are not stainless, but then stainless is higher costs over regular carbon steel so that is probably a large consideration.

I've not actually checked, but do other companies you would trust offer stainless rotors?

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Guarantee:100% money refund
          A:Your don't satisfaction the item quality
          B:Item don't fit your motorcycle perfect
          C:Item less than your expected
          D:The item arriver be broken
          E:Your don't receive the item
          F:Parcel Lost
          G:Receive the wrong item
          Please let us knnow ,We will give you a 100% satisfactory solution

That tells me they are using a translator but they do cover the product 100%, if they were $50 I wouldn't attempt to try them.
          TDA Racing/Motorsports
          1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
          Who knows what is next?
          Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
          Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Umm, my opinion would be to say NO. Lets all think of the chinese drywall for instance. Do you really want to put your life in your hands, and have them fail/crack/break or what not from heat and stress if they are poorly made? Not I!!!!!

Just my opinion is all.
            Kan-O-Gixxer!
            -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
            -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
            -Ohlins Susupension
            -Various Other Mods

Comment

All Brembo brake discs are made from stainless steel alloys produced specifically for use on braking systems. - Bremo.com

sweet lou i share your view on this.

and i feel that if something went wrong and i had to return them . i would need a translator to translate every thing and it sounds like a problem.
              Please, Just go home, relax, and have a think or two... hell... have as many as you can handle! It'll do all of us some good.
              Tony
              94 Katana 600

Comment

Originally posted by il_ragazzo View Post
                All Brembo brake discs are made from stainless steel alloys produced specifically for use on braking systems. - Bremo.com

sweet lou i share your view on this.

and i feel that if something went wrong and i had to return them . i would need a translator to translate every thing and it sounds like a problem.

I don't know, but I just thought I would point out something about your "product comparison" option there....

Brembo China Brake Systems Co. Ltd., China. Activities: production and sale of Original Equipment braking systems.
                Production starting: summer 2006

I think an actual product comparison with the items would be better suited to give you an good idea of how they are, not just an assumption based upon production locations.

A decent read on China's place in the world simi currently around steel production....

Krey
                93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by NitroGlycerin View Post
                  I'm not dissing China, but they're obviously not of the same quality of the name brands, but then again, with name brands, what usually jacks up the price 10 fold is the name.

They're not cheap enough for me to say f*ck it and try it, cause you'd be out 200$ if I said that.

Honestly, I would research them more. They have an Aluminum alloy center and stainless steel outer ring. If the ones for 240$ each have a lot better metal, than that accounts for the price jump.

Don't jump the gun on this deal, but if they're made of the same metals, I'd say go for it

What isnt made in china anymore

Comment

It's only a matter of time, pretty soon the best stuff all are gong to come from China. Just ike that line in Back to the Future

Comment

my problem is more along the lines of directly buying from china as a customer. ya know? how will i talk talk to them? through a translator?
                      i dont mind if they are made in china as long as they are of good quality.
                      Tony
                      94 Katana 600

Comment

Or learn Chinese? have a Chinese speaking GF/wife/SO? Gotta be some Chinese speaking moto rider if not Kat rider in CA?

Comment

Originally posted by il_ragazzo View Post
                          my problem is more along the lines of directly buying from china as a customer. ya know? how will i talk talk to them? through a translator?
                          i dont mind if they are made in china as long as they are of good quality.
                          I've bought from China several times in the past and never really had a problem.
                          Most of these traders are from Hong Kong and they do speak english.
                          Sometimes cr@ppy english but enough to keep a conversation.
                          I'd worry more about quality...
                          Too old to dream, too young to reason...
                          I am fond of my rough edges.
                          sigpic

Comment

I'd be a bit skeptical on certain parts (especially those that make you go or stop). There had been some Brembo calipers mysteriously coming out of China and Thailand that had prices too good to be true. I've heard stories that a number of stunt guys bought them thinking they were getting a deal as they "looked" just like any other Brembo. Problem was, they were cheap Asian rip offs. Someone had basically rough cast new calipers from a pair of stock Brembos, painted them, assembled them with sub par components and tried to pass them off as originals. Problem was, there was no real machining done to them so they leaked and the pistons didn't function correctly, not to mention who knows the quality of the castings and the metal used (likely just some pot metal). I think when you buy from China it is like buying from Harbor Freight...some things might be ok, but others are not worth taking the risk on.

Comment

We all know that brakes are the one area of a bike that you can cut corners....i say chinese brakes are fine (insert sarcasm font here).

a little story about chinese brake rotors.....
                              I bought a set that looked very similar to what you're looking at for a '01 gsxr600. They had a name brand on them, but a quick google search turned up nothing (they were ayoto or something like that i think).

I get them in the mail, brand new, for $150 shipped. They looked great, installed fine, and a quick trip around the block revealed that they were....guess what....warped. Brand new, and shimmied. The bike wasn't unrideable, but I noticed it. I let my wife ride the bike without mentioning it to her (it was her bike), and then she mentioned it also. That's how you know it's bad. This is the woman that turns up the radio when the car starts making noises. She actually drove her car for a month after the brake pads were gone and didn't notice because she thought the grinding noise of metal vs rotors was "normal". If she tells me the brakes feel funny, then there is definately something wrong.

As with anything from china, you're taking a chance. My rotors showed up warped. yours might be fine. Who knows?

Your call, but I decided it was best to buy my brake components from people who get paid more than $.10 per day to make them.

Comment

Working...
                              X