Recent Convert

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recent Convert

Hi All,
    My Name is Greg, I am a 31 year old teacher, and I hail from Edmonton Alberta Canada. Needless to say we have very few months to ride in a year and this is my first season. I started out the season with a 2006 Honda Shadow 750 Aero. A very nice looking bike, however, bike being 6 feet tall I found in really hard on my knees. A set of forward controls was gonna cost me $1300 (installed) and I was not willing to fork over that kind of cheddar for I bike I was only gonna keep until next season. So I sold it.
    I replaced it with a 1990 Katana 600, and I haven't looked back.
    Needless to say this puppy is gonna need some work. The frame is good and the body is good considering the year. But new fork seals, break fluids (breaks next year), and an oil change are in demand.
    I'm not mechanically inclined but I hope to be able to do the, at the very least,fluids on my own.
    Anyways, that's me in a nutshell, now I'm off to try and get that stupid oil filter off.
    Peace
    Greg

Welcome to KR
    THE DOC
    RIP MARC......Ride on in Heaven Brother!
    Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a
    mistake when you make it again.
    sigpic

Comment

Welcome to KR!
      As for the oil filter If it is stock you can get a oil filter tool from CyberPoet for a couple bucks that attaches to a socket wrench. If it's not stock get a stock one and hammer a screw driver thru the one on there to get it off, then replace with a stock one (and get the wrench attachment).

Best of luck!
      Katriders.com, we've got dumb answers!

Comment

Yeah it's a stock one, but I screwdriver trick to no avail, I can't get the leverage to get the darn thing off. I'm gonna have to get the tool. Right now, the bike is sitting empty of oil with a filter that has a screwdriver hole in it. Man am I ever a green horn and not off to a good start.

Comment

Welcome, Greg!
          =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

Welcome to KR.

Comment

Welcome to KR! Good luck with the filter
              "When you work on your mysterious lady part stuff, you should have the right tools, too. That's why you should use Maypax. The official tampon of NASCAR." Ricky Bobby

sigpic

Comment

Chain wrench or strap wrench will do the trick if the screwdriver ate up the end of the cap (where the cap wrench fits over). As others mentioned, I carry the cap wrenches -- $4.50 plus shipping.

PS - welcome to the world of KR

Cheers
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Thanks for the welcome everyone, and for the advice. I was able to purchase the oil filter tool from a suzuki dealership. Refilled and ready to go, the Katana ran nice. I was a bit worried when I was disposing of the old oil when I saw some yellow flecks. I'm really hoping it came off the bike when I was working on it and not out of the oil pan.

Comment

Welcome to KR!
                    Former Marine 3/97-3/01
                    MOS 0161 Semper FI!
                    sigpic

Comment

Welcome Greg! All these teachers...sheesh!

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

Hey Greg, welcome to KR!
                        R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

welcome to KR!
                          "If a cluttered desk is sign of a cluttered mind....what then, of an empty desk?"

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref...14&ref=profile

sigpic

Comment

Congrats on your purchase,and welcome to KR!!

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...ndID=107018844
                            http://www.youtube.com/user/neoshifter

Genesis 9:6
                            Whosoever sheddeth man's blood, by man shall his blood be shed......RIP Daniel A. Mguire,you'll always be in my heart brother.

Comment

Welcome aboard!!

Comment

Working...
                              X