X

Kat on the track

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kat on the track

Spent yesterday with my daughter on the track in Seattle. One of those nice fall days. So my '04 Kat 750 is still showroom stock,(well I did take the warning stickers off, but I do that to my pillows also), the suspension is still factory set and the Dunlops are what came with the bike. Question, (for those familiar with PR, the area I experienced this is after leaving the bus stop and just as you enter the straightaway), as I am leaning slightly into a shallow turn and applying throttle the rear felt like it was hopping. It did this repeatedly only in this area of the track, this is also the only place where I was applying this much throttle, any thoughts or opinions?
    Darrel
    '04 Honda F4i

Katana's can go on the track?!?!

(what?! I have to get my jabs in when I can for all the harley comments :P )
    - It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

- Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

Comment

Well I was the only one. Maybe those big dogs scare all the kitties away.
      Darrel
      '04 Honda F4i

Comment

Don't have an answer for your question, someone better experienced would though, I'd say tires, perhaps.

Secondly, you were at the track with your daughter? How cool! She rides too?
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

This could be due to the fact that there is not a lot of rubber on the track and that you have street tires on the bike that are not designed to be run on the track. Maybe you should consider some better tires before your next trip on the track. It could also be due to the fact that you never got the tires up to track temperature.
          Info for the Ottawa Motorcycle Course

sigpic

Comment

Tires though, you'd think u would notice more often that just that one spot on the track...hhmmm.. first time u ever noticed that problem since u've gotten the bike ?

Comment

Katgirl, Yep, she rides. Last year she went to MSF and now rides a Suz GS500. Looks like she will move up to something faster next year. She holds her own through the corners but gets blown away by the straightaway cowboys, then she catches them again at the next corner as they sloooowwww down. We don't drag knees, just have fun running with the big dogs. Then again maybe it has something to do with no speed limits, she always has had speed fetish.
              Back to original question, never had this issue before. Last time on the track 6 weeks ago the engine was not broken in so never took it over 9k. This time I hit the rev limiter a couple of times,(at least I hope that was the limiter). Reduced the tire pressure to 31 front and rear to get a bit more heat out of them and don't know if this contributed to the issue. Thanks for your input on this.
              Darrel
              '04 Honda F4i

Comment

Since you said it only happened in this part of the track and when you applied this much thorttle. I would have to say that you were spinning the tire up at a point where the suspension was maxed out and causing you to loose traction. Were you running the same line everytime in this part of the track? Also there could be just a little bump that you can not see on the track and when you apply the throttle at that point you are breaking traction. No matter what you are breaking traction and that is causing the rear to hop. Work on throttle control i.e. smoothness, etc.... Try adjusting your rear supension to maybe a little softer for that track. I know I had my rear preload set up to high and it would chatter under breaking going thru a turn. I adjusted my preload down to where it was softer and it stopped that. Hope this helps you out some...
                www.mopowersports.com

Comment

H2020, you might be onto something in terms of my throttle skills. Thinking back I wasn't paying much attention to being smooth on my upshifts and was more focused on the downshifts. When on the street I work on both and when it clicks it is like having an automatic tranny. This is getting to be like golf, all I have to do is remember those 37 swing thoughts before I hit the ball.
                  Darrel
                  '04 Honda F4i

Comment

Glad I could help put some light onto it for you. I know when I am not smooth on the throttle I tend to make the rear jump around some but that is usually in the form of the back wheel sliding around. I have notice when I get on it and shift hard it breaks loose. Just be careful out there.
                    www.mopowersports.com

Comment

I'm not the most experienced rider, espeically when it comes to the track ( I've never actually been on the track with a bike before ), but I do know the difference between stock Dunlops vs. aftermarket tires on a 750 Kat.

With the stockers I was always hesitant going into corners as I could feel them slipping no matter how warm they were. After changing to aftermarket tires, that hesitation is long gone, and my confidence is way up.

If you've got the financial means, I would highly recommend a change of rubber if you plan on doing any more track days. If you are interested in a tire recommendation, there is a tire thread in here somewhere where my 2 cents, as well as other riders 2 cents, have been put in.

Oh, and just in case no one has asked already, any pics of your daughter ?? ( sorry, Range must've rubbed off on me a little )
                      Some people are a lot like Slinkys.
                      Not really good for anything, but bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

Comment

Jackal, thanks for your .02 cents, don't know what that converts to US. I will change the stock tires after this winter. The current tires have handled the rain pretty well so I hate to dump them with only 2K miles on them. I will definately change before another track session and if you can do something about getting the hockey season started I'm sure I can find pics of my daughter. I need my Hockey Night in Canada fix real bad.
                          Darrel
                          '04 Honda F4i

Comment

the stock rubber on my kat, scares me to death in the rain..that circle tread right in the middle just invites the water in, then locks down in the tread. I havent had any problem yet, but I always get nervous with those stock tires. I ride in the rain alot, and cant wait to dump those things and get some metzlers..

Comment

I wish there was a track here must be pretty nice to ride like that. :P
                              2003 gsx600f (the yellow one)
                              vortex sprockets,D&D slip on,c/f led lights
                              JIM's cowl, mesh, clearalt's ds signal, zero gravity ds screen

Comment

Working...
                              X