X

94 Kat Tires Bias Ply vs. Radial

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 94 Kat Tires Bias Ply vs. Radial

I just bought a 94 kat with stock sized tires. 110/80 front and 150/70 rear. These are Bias Ply. Is it okay to upgrade to redials?
    Dave

It is recommended to upgrade to radials.
    Pics
    Pics
    No pics yet
    Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

radial vs. bias Ply

would you recommend going to a lower aspect ratio. 80 to 70 on the front and 70 to 60 on the back. What I understand, radials have a little softer side walls.
      Dave

Comment

The general recommendation for the pre 98 Kat's is 120/70-17 front and 150/70-17 rear.
        Pics
        Pics
        No pics yet
        Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

motorcycleanchor.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, motorcycleanchor.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!
          -Steve

sigpic
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
          Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Or you can do what everyone else has done. Swap your rim's for post 98 rim's and put a 120/70/17 on the front and a 160/60/17 on the rear wheel.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave_LeMay View Post
              I just bought a 94 kat with stock sized tires. 110/80 front and 150/70 rear. These are Bias Ply. Is it okay to upgrade to redials?
              Actually, radials are HIGHLY recommended, and may well save your life at some point in the future if you catch a nail or a screw or other damages (bias tires tend to immediately lose pressure & their shape, while the metal belts in modern radials retain their shape for the most part while spinning -- might make a big difference if you catch something while you're leaned over for a turn).

Some resources to help you if you want to learn & are willing to read:
              CyberPoet's Katana Tire Webpage (GSX600F, GSX750F)
              CyberPoet's General Tire Page - How to Understand Motorcycle Tire Sizes, Speed & Weight Ratings, Belt Technologies, Arc-designs, etc. (good coverage of Bias vs Radials).
              KR Discussion in Tire Talk about Bias Tires & saving $$ on tires as a way of being penny-wise and dollar-foolish

Meanwhile, my specific advice to you:
              120/70ZR17 front, 150/70ZR17 rear, either Metzeler Z6 (my pref) or something comparable. If you don't change sizes, pay particular attention to the weight ratings -- Metzeler & Pirelli both have incorrect weight ratings in their fitment databases for the pre-98 front tires (they list 54 as the front rating -- it needs to be 57 minimum).

1988 - 1997 Katana 600 - FRONT: OEM was a 110/80V17 (57V). I recommend moving to a 120/70ZR17 (58W).
              1988 - 1997.5 Katana 600 - REAR: OEM was a 140/80VB17 (69V). I recommend moving to a 150/70ZR17 (69W).

1988 - 1997 Katana 750 - FRONT: OEM was a 110/80V17 (57V). I recommend moving to a 120/70ZR17 (58W).
              1988 - 1997 Katana 750 - REAR: OEM was a 150/70VB17 (69V). I recommend moving to a 150/70ZR17 (69W)

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
              X