X

clutch tention issue

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• clutch tention issue

Okay, I have tried adjusting the clutch cable all over the place, but to no avail. I took the cable out last night to see if it was tight. I was able to push and pull on one end and it felt good, maybe just a bit of drag. I held the cable in a u-shape ( to simulate all the wierd angles it has to go through...seemed like a good idea) and it didnt change, push and pull freely with a slight bit of drag. Should the cable almost slid on its own, or is a bit of tension normal? Any Ideas on what else it could be? Also, seriosly doubt it has aftermarket clutch springs, it is a low milage bike that is bone stock.

Thanks
    Brian

Also, the clutch lever doesnt seem to have very fast kick back, which leads me to the clutch cable, right?

OK
    1. There should be a 90 degree metal tube at the lever end of the cable. This will prevent the cable from "falling" on it's own I think.

2. Lube the cable, i did this by shooting a thick Teflon lube into one end wiggling the cable until the lube came out the far end.

3. Disassemble the lever and clean all the parts. Inspect it for damage etc. Then reassemble and grease. I use chain lube (just a dab)

4. Reinstall the cable. Remember the cable goes between carbs 1 and 2. make sure it is not pinched or makes any sharp bends.

5. Grease the throwout mechanism (the gizmo the cable attaches to under the shifter cover). Grease the spot where the cable attaches to the gizmo and make sure the cable is attached correctly at the gizmo. Now add a bit of lube to where the cable attaches at the clutch lever.

6. Before adding any tension follow HS2020 advice here:

Third post down.

Now what have you got?

Comment

Awesome, I am trying all that when I get home tonight.

Comment

*snicker* He said Gizmo!! *snicker*

Comment

Originally posted by Moparict
          *snicker* He said Gizmo!! *snicker*
          You know.. I was actually wondering if someone was going to bust me about that!

Comment

I did everything execpt for routing the clutch cable correctly, just a temp setup to see how it was. I am going to re-route it this weekend. After I get a new spark plug, keep dropping #2 .
            Still firm not as bad, but 100x smother. Hoping re-routing it will correct the tention.

Thanks for the tips!

Comment

Originally posted by stangdude22
              I did everything execpt for routing the clutch cable correctly,
              Yeah I didn't either, but I did tie it off to the bottom carb rail. If you look you can see that if it runs outside the carbs it goes into the case at an angle..

Comment

I had it going through 1 and 2 original, but was easier once I ran it outside the carbs
                I heard there is somekinda "easy clutch adaptor" I am going to look into that, and mess around with adjust the screw-to-rod adjuster gizmo 8)

Comment

Working...
                X