X

Clutch lever issue

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch lever issue

So I'm riding the other day and I notice that my bike is revving high when I shift, as I let out the clutch. It stays that way for a second then drops into gear. My first thought is "Great! My clutch is slipping!" But as I'm riding, I notice that my clutch lever is retuning all the way forward. Any ideas why it would do this? I tried adjusting the cable, but it didn't help. I didn't have this problem at all prior to last Friday. Any suggestions before I dismantle the bike?
    Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
    -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
    -Terence

sounds like your clutch is toast if its only doing it in the higher gears at higer revs after the clutch it let out. how many miles on your bike??? are you hard on the clutch slipping it to take off lots of dumping it wheelies of drag racing quick take offs racing ricer cars???

Comment

It does it in all gears. I notice it most from a stop and in the lower gears because I can hear it then. And I'm gentle on the clutch. No drag style clutching and I wouldn't do a wheelie on my Kat even if I knew how.
      -Unknown Author

-Terence

Comment

What oil did you use last oil change? Brand, type, weight and ratings please.

Are you sure the clutch cable is adjusted right (where does the clutch start to activate when you pull in the lever -- how far in do you have to squeeze to get it to unbite)?

When you shift, are you upshifting using this method:
        clutch in, gas off, hard-fast snap-shift, gas on, clutch out?

Is it possible you are giving it too much gas during the gas on phase, and/or not shifting all the way through the motion? Is it doing it in multiple gears, or just in 1st-to-2nd, etc?

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I can't give you brand right offhand. I got it from Walmart. It was a 10W-40, SF I do know.

I'm going to check the cable again tonight. Yesterday, I just went out and pulled in the clutch and let it out and I had to push it about a half an inch to get it all the way out again. But it was loose then. I'll check tonight.

I use the method you described.

I only noticed it in 1-2 and 2-3. I was just in town riding going to lunch. I didn't notice it later when I was wearing my helmet and was running it a little harder (didn't have the fiance on the back then).

I'll check all these when I get home this afternoon. I'm hoping I just need to adjust the cable some more.
          -Unknown Author

-Terence

Comment

Working...
          X