X

Picking out the right Chain&Sprocket kit brand

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Picking out the right Chain&Sprocket kit brand

Like the thread title says I'm looking for the right brand to get for my 1999 750 kat, the current chain and sprocket have seen better days. I'm wanting to keep it stock so I know how many teeth they need but as for brand that always leaves me wondering, getting the best bang for the buck. looking around I see a lot of these colored chains but not always hearing the best about them. so any suggestions or what do you use and your experience with them? gonna pick up a kit next month. also anything else I might want to touch up or check while I've got all apart?
    1999 Suzuki Katana 750F

DID, RK or EK chain, contact GFSXjim for sprockets. He is a member here that makes sprockets.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

msg sent. what chain do you use and how has it handled?
      1999 Suzuki Katana 750F

Comment

DID x-ring with a custom steel and aluminum sprocket. Haven't put many miles on the setup. You can see my sprocket at http://www.7thgeardesigns.com red and black two piece.
        Last edited by 92xjunker; 02-13-2014, 12:49 AM.
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran

Comment

I'm using a DID x ring also. Last chain got 27k miles, sprockets showed almost 0 wear. Works great for me.

While you've got the clutch cover off, I'd recommend greasing the worm gear in there with marine grease and adjusting the clutch. See Krey's post:
          Can't get it to run right? Find a trick to add HP?
          From the first oil change to completely rebuilding the engine,
          this is the place to talk about the heart of the beast!

Makes things much smoother.
          1998 Katana 750
          1992 Katana 1100
          2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

what are the differences between some of the numbers I'm seeing I see like 520/530/428 etc etc I'm not sure what the pitch is supposed to mean
            1999 Suzuki Katana 750F

Comment

You need a 530, it references the width of the chain.
              spammer police
              USAF veteran

Comment

Yes, that would be important to know lol thanks.
                1999 Suzuki Katana 750F

Comment

I have >40K miles on my RK xring chain and aluminum rear sprocket. still going. LUBE. LUBE. LUBE.
                  never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

Stay away from the cheap Chinese chains on eBay. Spend your money on quality chain, sprockets and tires. Failure of these components at speed would not go well. Lube the clutch worm gear and check the clutch rod seal.
                    Last edited by 92xjunker; 02-13-2014, 11:51 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                    spammer police
                    USAF veteran

Comment

after looking at some of the chains I'm gonna go with a RK 530 XSOZ1 Standard Motorcycle Chain and a 45/15 sprocket set from GSXFJim, grand total looks like it will run about 200+- depending where i can find the chain the cheapest. when I get it all I'll post some pics of it
                      Last edited by raidinmd; 02-14-2014, 12:30 AM.
                      1999 Suzuki Katana 750F

Comment

Good choice
                        spammer police
                        USAF veteran

Comment

I use Drive systems in huntington beach : they have everything as well a AFAM sprockets get steel not aluminum

Comment

Originally posted by KAT TOY View Post
                            I have >40K miles on my RK xring chain and aluminum rear sprocket. still going. LUBE. LUBE. LUBE.
                            40k? Nice! Surprised an aluminum sprocket would hold up that long but I guess properly lubed...
                            1998 Katana 750
                            1992 Katana 1100
                            2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

new chain is in, just waiting on my sprockets from jim
                              1999 Suzuki Katana 750F

Comment

Working...
                              X