No announcement yet.
X

Can i spray?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I'm guessing it wouldn't be a good idea to spray with my 1.5 gallon compressor?

I've been wanting to do some rattle can work...so I'll probably stick with it. I've seen some really decent homemade paint jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by cleankat96 View Post
      I went to lowes and picked up a 1.4mm tipped siphon feed gun for about 50 bucks ill give it a try- my dad has sprayed multiple cars and its almost exactly what he used and its scfm rating is perfect for my compressor

it will use more air for sure and usually paint will come out slower HOWEVER with the use of more air , it tends to stir up more dust in a non booth type enviroment

Most guys that switch to HVLP (high volume low pressure) guns usually find that the paint comes out faster than they are used to
      Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

Originally posted by rexazz2 View Post
        it will use more air for sure and usually paint will come out slower HOWEVER with the use of more air , it tends to stir up more dust in a non booth type enviroment

Most guys that switch to HVLP (high volume low pressure) guns usually find that the paint comes out faster than they are used to
        Were building a make shift spray booth/tent with some heavy clear plastic to cover the floor and everything so im hoping itll work on keeping the dust down some, thats what he sprayed his car in anyway and it came out nice- as far as using more air im not overly concerned ill just have to do the spray a panel and let the compressor catch up game- is it better for the paint to come out faster or slower or is it just personal preference and getting used to?

Comment

The gun worked great on the wheels, should have the body parts primed by sunday

Comment

Painting Panels

I'm not a professional by no means but have practiced over and over and over because of mistakes. Prep work is definitely a must, wet the floors before spraying to stop dust from flying up into the air, and have the booth filled with as much lighting as you can. You will notice really fast on the big panels if your compressor can't keep up. One way to test set the pressure at the tank for approx 40 psi, then plug your gun in and squeeze the trigger and watch the gauge; it will drop to approx 30, maybe less maybe a little higher but should stay there for a little bit before the compressor kicks on. If the compressor kicks on almost immediately, you'll have a screwed up finish but remember this, if you shoot base coat clear coat you can sand the clear finish with 1000-1200 and then buff it out and it will look great.

Comment

Originally posted by sjgiardina View Post
              I'm not a professional by no means but have practiced over and over and over because of mistakes. Prep work is definitely a must, wet the floors before spraying to stop dust from flying up into the air, and have the booth filled with as much lighting as you can. You will notice really fast on the big panels if your compressor can't keep up. One way to test set the pressure at the tank for approx 40 psi, then plug your gun in and squeeze the trigger and watch the gauge; it will drop to approx 30, maybe less maybe a little higher but should stay there for a little bit before the compressor kicks on. If the compressor kicks on almost immediately, you'll have a screwed up finish but remember this, if you shoot base coat clear coat you can sand the clear finish with 1000-1200 and then buff it out and it will look great.
              I agree with this too we primed everything today now its just a matter of wetsanding and waiting until next weekend to paint

Comment

Working...
              X