X

GIXXER camshaft; worthwhile swap??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GIXXER camshaft; worthwhile swap??

I'm looking for some advice from you guys, I know that there are a few mechs regularly on these forums that get to play on bikes for a living. I have 20+ years experience but on automotive and heavy eqpt.
    I did a valve/carb adjustment yesterday and it made a huge difference, most of the valves were within specs, but on the lose side of the specs. I adjusted them to the other extreme of the spec and now that they are tighter it is really breathing. What a huge difference in throttle responce and HP output.
    What is your view on installing GIXXER cams on my 2006 750? I'd like to get a little better performance out of the 750 but I think that if I install GSXR 750 camshafts I will not be able to get enough air/fuel into the cylinders to make it worthwhile. The GSXF carbs have a 36mm bore, and the GSXR has throttle bodies have a 42mm bore. Would re-jetting my carbs be enough? I don't think so, I thing I would be starving the engine of air, end up running rich and would never be able to get the RIGHT set-up.
    The bike;
    2006 750 Kat, brand new out of the crate 29 Feb 2008, 1,600 Km, Mods listed in Sig, no engine/exhaust mods yet.
    I don't want to get too extreme into engine mods at this point, but always want more.
    sigpic'06 750Kat, SCORPIO alarm, integrated turn sigs into smoked LED tail light, gun metal frt turn sigs & windshield, shovel MIA, AMSOIL throughout, TARGA tank cover, PIIA 130Db Sport Horns. 16-45 sprocket set-up

I did gixxer cams in a 1 off engine combo. The head is a 98+ 600. I used 88 GSXR 750 cams. The improvement is a lot of top end. Now I used a FP 98+ 600 Katana jet kit and that works fine. FP is also a lot more tunable then Ivan's and DynoJunk just flat out sucks. So, I know a FP 600 kit is fine, 750 I don't know.
    Last edited by arsenic; 05-04-2008, 01:37 PM.

Comment

head also?

Arsenic; do you think I would need to swap head also? I think that if I would see a significant difference I will do it, but not if it means that the bike will never tune right, or have to be tinkered with all the time.
      I don't mind the tinkering on muscle cars because all you do is pop the hood, but on the bikes you have all the body work to mess with unless I ride naked (the bike) for a few days until I get it set up. Do you think the carb bore size is an issue?
      sigpic'06 750Kat, SCORPIO alarm, integrated turn sigs into smoked LED tail light, gun metal frt turn sigs & windshield, shovel MIA, AMSOIL throughout, TARGA tank cover, PIIA 130Db Sport Horns. 16-45 sprocket set-up

Comment

I meant 98+ 600. I only did that because the 600 I had had a shim head. I didn't want shims. The 750 has ALWAYS been tappet adjusters. No, don't swap the head. I'm just saying I KNOW the gixxer cams made one heck of an improvement in a 600. When it comes to a 750, I'm pretty sure it would make quite a top end difference. I don't have first hand knowledge toying with a 750. You can look and the technical data here:
        A forum filled with write-ups, FAQ's, and visual aids for
        mechanical & cosmetic modifications to your Katana.

No, I really doubt carb bore size matters. I'm using 32mm carbs, you have 4mm on those.
        Last edited by arsenic; 05-04-2008, 12:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
          I meant 98+ 600. I only did that because the 600 I had had a shim head. I didn't want shims. The 750 has ALWAYS been tappet adjusters. No, don't swap the head. I'm just saying I KNOW the gixxer cams made one heck of an improvement in a 600. When it comes to a 750, I'm pretty sure it would make quite a top end difference. I don't have first hand knowledge toying with a 750. You can look and the technical data here:
          A forum filled with write-ups, FAQ's, and visual aids for
          mechanical & cosmetic modifications to your Katana.

No, I really doubt carb bore size matters. I'm using 32mm carbs, you have 4mm on those.
          Cool, I don't know how I missed that thread . I'll probably start my hunt for a good deal on cams, I'm not in any hurry. Thanks a lot for your input, I trust your advice.

Comment

wow, you trust my advice, you don't tell me I'm wrong, you will get far grasshopper

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
              wow, you trust my advice, you don't tell me I'm wrong, you will get far grasshopper
              LMAO,
              when seeking advice be prepared to accept it!

Comment

Working...
              X