X

Centerstand springs

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Centerstand springs

was working on my bike and when I dropped it down off of the stand one of the spings popoed off, and now can't get it back on, and not even sure if it is ok. The heavier outer spring is off, and has a near 90 degree bend in it closest to the front. Is this normal? And if so, how the hell do you get it back on?
    "If it keeps up, man will atrophy all his limbs but the push-button finger. "
    Frank Lloyd Wright

I thought a photo might help.
    Attached Files
    Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

I don't think it should be bent like that . Might try making it stright and pulling it back on . Be prepared to curse frequently and loudly .....
      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

uhhhh, no... you're spring should NOT look like that. MD is right - reshape and curse often.
        "Men will get no more out of life than they put into it."

Comment

Originally posted by jgmann67 View Post
          uhhhh, no... you're spring should NOT look like that. MD is right - reshape and curse often.
          +2 except replace both and save the curse words for something else.

Comment

Might want to get someone to help you do that swap... i about popped my shoulder out when I installed mine.
            -Steve

sigpic
            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
            Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Yea, I'd bend it back (or get a new one, I guess)...

To put springs on, I get some string and make a big oval. Then, if you criss-cross and fold the oval, you get 2 smaller circles - do this more if it's a hefty spring. Once you have your multi-circled string thing, hook it onto the spring and around your palm (use a towel so that it doesn't dig into your skin). Then, just pull and hook the spring over whatever it needs to hook onto.

I'm sure there are tools for this type of thing, but I don't have 'em and this has worked fine so far :P
              "Pleasant experiences make life enjoyable, painful experiences lead to growth" - cheap Chinese fortune cookie

Comment

they make a spring puller tool for that exact thing. Any time you encounter a hard job, be sure, there's a tool for that.

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
                  Might want to get someone to help you do that swap... i about popped my shoulder out when I installed mine.
                  seems like all you need to do is hook one end (with the stand up)use a flat blade screwdriver and slide the hooks off the tip of the blade on to the post.

Comment

Originally posted by the wind View Post
                    seems like all you need to do is hook one end (with the stand up)use a flat blade screwdriver and slide the hooks off the tip of the blade on to the post.
                    I used a vice grip and some willpower.... just about pulled the bike over on top of me, but I did it!

The springs are under some tension even when the stand is up...
                    -Steve

sigpic
                    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

yeah the spring is under tension, that why there is an inner and outer. One is under tension when the stand is down, one is under tension when the stand is up. And again, the flat head screwdriver, and the vice grips, they'll all work fine, but there is a spring hook thingy for this, harbor freight probably has them for like $1.

Comment

That T handle looks like the best option, but I think I will try to bend it back and with vise grips of some wire tonight for the fast way. Thanks.
                        Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

The spring pullers on EBay work like crap. Theyr'e ok for dirt bikes but not for cruisers/sportbikes. Vice grips work best along with a strong helper!
                          2005 GSXF750 Katana
                          1991 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000
                          1993 Kawasaki VN750 Vulcan

Comment

Was able to get the spring somewhat straightened, and back n the post. Thansk for the input
                            Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

Working...
                            X