X

Why in the :cursin ...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why in the :cursin ...

Why is it when people find out you purchased a motorcycle, they feel it's their duty to tell you all of the horror stories they have heard about them. I knew a guy who.... or One time I seen... Why haven't they considered that I have heard them as well. This is really getting old. I have owned my Katana for a month now and the stories won't stop. All from non-riders now! Then they have the nerve to say... BE CAREFUL... As if I was planning on be an a#$ when riding, but it was their words that stop me. Some people really feel they should make you fear what they fear as well. And like, I said its only the non-riders.
    "Knowledge comes from finding the answers, yes, but understanding what the answers mean is what brings wisdom. Men who didn’t understand the difference have been the ruin of some of the world’s greatest civilizations." - Lionel Luthor

Because they can't see nor truly understand the benefits, but can (and often have) seen the negative consequences that can arise. There are some comments that will help quite them down, but the reality is that most of them are saying something because they care for you in some sense or other and don't want anything bad to come of your new passion.

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Could be worse.
      My mother doesn't say anything. She just shakes her head, says "Lordy, Lordy, Sweet Jesus, Lordy" then walks away, praying.

Jewish Mother Guilt has NOTHING on Southern Black Mother Guilt.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by tdrcomm
        I thought those two were one and the same (lost tribe and all that)...

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
          Originally posted by tdrcomm
          I thought those two were one and the same (lost tribe and all that)...

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet

sigpic

Comment

Italian mother guilt is pretty bad as well. You should have seen the family react. It was like I was committing suicide.
            "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Comment

I think some peeps are just truly concerned for our safety, and lack a better way to express it. 'Course, some of the others are just jerks.

My mom knows I ride- I am 50, just for the record- and doesn't say a thing about it. Occasionally ask me if I am still riding, is all. Funny thing, too, as she have lost three sons/ I have lost three brothers over the years, altho none to m/c accidents. I have been an adrenlin junky/ thrill seeker/ risk taker most of my life, but it does make me more cautious. Maybe it's why I wear full gear when I ride.

Please ride safe. Your mother will appreciate it.
              "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

Originally posted by Kat-A-Tonic
                Italian mother guilt is pretty bad as well. You should have seen the family react. It was like I was committing suicide.

+1

Comment

My employee, a 63 year old diabetic and probably closer to death than I will ever be, makes sure he tells me about every wreck and accident he reads in the paper or sees on TV. He even told me about "this girl that used to be a nurse but said she quit because three guys came into the hospital so messed up from crashing their bikes into a truck, she said she couldn't take it anymore."

Yesterday I finally told him, "Ron, I have to be frank with you. I am tired of hearing about everyone you hear about dying on motorcycles. Keep it to yourself."

I think he believes he is connecting with me in some twisted way. I certainly HOPE there is no malice in it.

My poor mother found out I was getting a bike and just cried. She didn't try to stop me, she just cried, like I was already dead or something. Sheesh.

Comment

My mother doesn't say anything about the motorcycle either. she simple yells "You are just like your father!!!"
                    "Knowledge comes from finding the answers, yes, but understanding what the answers mean is what brings wisdom. Men who didn’t understand the difference have been the ruin of some of the world’s greatest civilizations." - Lionel Luthor

Comment

Originally posted by Anatak
                      My mother doesn't say anything about the motorcycle either. she simple yells "You are just like your father!!!"
                      Almost the same thing here, although she just say "boys and their toys" and kinda rolls her eyes.

My familly has really done a 180 since I got mine. They were always against it while I was growing up (even though i grew up riding quads and three wheelers since I was about 6). They always knew I was going to get one, it was a matter of time. So when they went away on holidays I went and bought one . Came home and it was sitting in the driveway. Dad just said something like "that yours?" as he was walking away. Now he's always telling me about some bike he saw for sale either in the trader or roadside. Then asks "wanna go take a look at it?, I'll hook the trailer up to the truck" He knows I want a project bike, and me thinks he just want's an extra one around so he can maybe pick up riding aswell.

I don't get the "your gonna kill yourself" deal alot from anybody. Actually i've maybe heard it once or twice. Usually i get the "I used to have a bike", or the "my parents never let me have one, but I'm thinking about it now".

The one thing I do get all the time is "Last week I was driving down the highway, and this guy passed me on a sportbike doing a wheelie" "do you do that?" All depends on my mood on how I answer that one. If my "talking to an Idiot" meter is pegged at redline I usually respond with "ya I do it all the time. in fact I once rode from here to Toronto riding a wheelie the whole way"

Comment

just start telling them all the horror stories of people dieing in cars. or the people hit by buses as they cross the street. or next time its raining 'ya well i knew a guy who was hit by lighting!'
                        03 katanika

Comment

Ignorance is bliss I guess. People always criticize what they dont understand. I still get those stories from time to time when I meet someone new, or a family reunions and what not.

I just blow it off and go on about my way...but yes I agree it does get old when everybody and their brother insists on telling you something bad about motorcycles.

Comment

Originally posted by iwannadie
                            just start telling them all the horror stories of people dieing in cars. or the people hit by buses as they cross the street. or next time its raining 'ya well i knew a guy who was hit by lighting!'

lol. "you'd better put down that burger, do you know how many people die from heart disease every year! I saw a 60 minutes special and some 30 year old guys heart looked like 2 1/2 lbs of crisco!"

Maybe if you keep up the 'death becomes you' banter maybe he'll just call a truce. lol

Comment

My mother was t-boned by a dude on a Yamaha back in I'll say 1979 or 80. She didnt like bikes before that and really didnt like them after. I used to hide the dirtbikes I had in the woods just to ride. Ive been riding now for 20 years plus and shes used to it. I got my father into riding about 3 years ago and shes thanked me ever since for getting him out of the house!! She realizes that good safe riders are the ones with longevity,the fu$karound look at me crowd are for the most part the statistic.

Comment

Working...
                              X