Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

failed inspection due to blinkers being to small?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You may find that if you pull off the existing signals they are stamped "DOT approved" on the plastic on the underside of the blinker. If so, point it out and there should be zero reason for him to fail you. If the blinkers aren't DOT approved, then it might be a different story... But I thought those particular ones in the picture were DOT approved by design anyway.

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by BarMatt80
      this is what my rear signals are, black with a smoked lense, amber bulb.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Suzuk...22106756QQrdZ1
      If these are the exact signals you have then they are not D.O.T. approved and is probably why you failed.
      I've got some new mini's here that are DOT approved for $15/set and some short stockers that have had the clip cut off but there is plenty of wire left to splice for $8/set. Heck, I'll even loan you a pair of stockers to pass inspection if that's all you want them for. You pay the shipping both ways. PM me.
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

Just a little FYI.
        Even if a state dose not require turn signals - if they are mounted on the vehicle they must be in working order.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

I thought it was more like if the vehicle was equiped with something from the factory, that something needs to continue to work and be in good order?
          -Steve

sigpic
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
          Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by steves
            I thought it was more like if the vehicle was equiped with something from the factory, that something needs to continue to work and be in good order?
            It may vary by state requirements, but in most places you can replace ANYTHING you want as long as the replacements meet whatever standards were required for that model year (i.e. - DOT standards for lighting, EPA standards for catalytic exhausts, etc).

I'm kinda familiar with this issue when importing vehicles into the US because for about a decade most German car companies installed glass that wasn't US-spec safety glass (using a harder tempered glass instead that was less much likely to break, but more dangerous when it did if the pieces left the plastic safety layer in the center) and used H4 or HB2 headlights when US spec was still sealed headlights... Weird thing is even if the spec changed (e.g. - H4 bulbs are now legal), the car still has to meet the original spec (i.e. - cars from model years when the US had sealed bulbs have to be converted to sealed bulbs to get in, even though H4 bulbs are legal now). Weird, eh?

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Thats one of the few drawbacks of living in California is our stupid vehicle requirements.
              Originally posted by AbeezieSoNeezie

fact: a yammie is a girls bike
              fact: more that one girl rides yammies therefore yammies = a bunch of girls
              fact: girls lie

therefore, the following equation is true.
              girls = yammah
              yammah = a bunch of liars

Comment

Makes me wonder if mine will pass with the intergrated taillight!!!
                Lance
                2005 Kat 600

Comment

The blinkers on mine are not DOT approved but work just fine.. flash a little to fast for me but that is what hand signals are for.It would be a bit of a conflict of interest if my bike didnt pass inspection being the place I bought them from was that very shop. Do you have an after market exhaust on the bike thats street legal and if not did he say anything about that?

Comment

Originally posted by cancun black dog
                    Makes me wonder if mine will pass with the intergrated taillight!!!
                    You shouldnt have a problem with them being integrated..as long as they fully work and blink properly, you should be fine.

Comment

further talking to the mechanic, he said all passes except those lights, because they are non dot. he didn't say shape brightness or whatever as he said before, just because they are non dot. i do have a yoshi slip on and a vance and hines(not to sure) 4 into 1 header. he didn't say anything about that, but then again wv doesn't have a loudness restriction. but my yoshi slip on didn't have its badge on it.

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

Originally posted by ZukiFred
                        Just a little FYI.
                        Even if a state dose not require turn signals - if they are mounted on the vehicle they must be in working order.
                        and in PA they have to be atleast 11 inches apart too,

Matt80...jim's offer for the DOT signals is a good idea so you might consider that if you cant find someone to pass it as is. I know there are some shops in my area that are pricks when it comes to inspections and others who will just start it up, turn on the lights and signals and slap on a sticker. Finding a happy medium for future reference might benefit you if you want to keep the signals you have on, and dont want to swap them out every year for inspection.

Comment

yeah i pm'd braada. someone broke into my car and stole almost a grand of audio equipment, so i am contemplating on what to do there, but i asked if the offer would still be available for me to borrow them but not for a week or so. another reason why this place great, the willingness to help everyone, once again thanks again for everything guys.

I am gong to see if a shop might pass it anyways how it is.

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

Damn thieves suck for sure !! Sorry about your car man

Comment

Originally posted by pickleman04
                              Im hoping mine passes in Michigan. I know we dont have to have blinkers but im wondering about the vance and hines slip on. It seems really loud but I hope it passes. It is a wrecked bike that i fixed so I need to pass inspection.
                              No inspections in Michigan, so no need to sweat it.
                              Eric
                              2005 GSX-R 750

Comment

Working...
                              X