X

bike wont start with button

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bike wont start with button

My 93 kat 600 will only start if I go direct to starter and bypass relay and starter button. I haven't had this happen before, but sounds like the relay.
    Keith
    Brampton
    1993 kat 600
    1990 GSXR 750
    2008 Z1000

Could be a lot of things...
    You need the schematic.. Start on one end..

Comment

Does the relay click when you hit the button ? Got a multimeter ? Check voltage at the starter and see if it gets any when you push the button ...
      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

No clicking. Power is getting to the relay but not past it.
        Keith
        Brampton
        1993 kat 600
        1990 GSXR 750
        2008 Z1000

Comment

Originally posted by newfie
          No clicking. Power is getting to the relay but not past it.
          There are two spots to check for voltage. The large wire in (left side) that is from the battery and should be 12 vdc to ground Second is the control. Small wires in plastic connector. should be 12 volts when you push the button. No 12 volt control start checking your interlocks. If you do have control and no clicking time for a new relay.

Comment

What if the relay does click?

I just swapped my 93 750 engine for an 02 750, and had it all together, but the starter won't crank at all. When I push the starter button, I hear some clicking (I think out of the relay) and then some of the lights on my instrument cluster dim. What should I check for?

Comment

If your using a 98+ wiring harness it uses a different relay then the pre 98's

Comment

Nope, pre 98 carbs and electrics, just the engine was changed.

Comment

Originally posted by kawila
                  What if the relay does click?

I just swapped my 93 750 engine for an 02 750, and had it all together, but the starter won't crank at all. When I push the starter button, I hear some clicking (I think out of the relay) and then some of the lights on my instrument cluster dim. What should I check for?
                  Low battery, bad starter.. If the lights dim either the current is getting sucked up by a bad starter, or the starter is sucking up the current and there isn't enough (bad/low battery) and the lights get dim (not enough current to keep them bright) Even if you think the battery is charged and the voltage reads ok the battery could not be providing the current needed. This is a more difficult reading to take.

Comment

I tried starting with a fully charged battery pack (one that's used to jump start a car), and I got the same results. It still clicks at the relay, but instead of the indicator lights dimming, they pretty much go out altogether for a while. I can keep hitting the starter button and it'll keep clicking.

Another thing is I wonder if the starter is hooked up right. The wiring schematic shows a ground coming from the starter, as well as the hot cable going into it. Is the ground built into it? Because I don't have a ground hooked up to the starter, to my knowledge.

Comment

If you're sucking down the lights then it's prbly a bad starter.. I don't remember if there was a ground off the starter. Mose likely not.

Comment

PRETTY sure the statrer IS the ground . Only wire I remember coming off of it was the hot .... I'll try to remember to look in there tonight when I leave for work .

Comment

Yeah, you're right, the starter only has the hot wire, and then it grounds itself to the engine...we checked it out, and it turns out the starter was fine, and my problem was that since the engine had been sitting for a while, it needed a little lubrication to get the pistons to move.

Now I gotta figure out how to get fuel to the cylinders. It fired up once, just for a second when we sprayed starter fluid in, but once it burned that up, all we heard was a few compression strokes. No combustion.

Comment

If it's been sitting , needs carb clean . Idle circuit will be clogged .
                            Yeah , I looked at my starter tonight ,too . 1 wire .

Comment

Well guys I changed out the relay, it took 5 days to come from BC. The relay is new from Suzuki. Still no go I think it may be the clutch interlock. How do I check?
                              1993 kat 600
                              1990 GSXR 750
                              2008 Z1000

Comment

Working...
                              X