X

Rod knock...I think....

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rod knock...I think....

I took my bike out for about 30 minutes yesterday and when I got back I noticed that it was making a strange noise, I was told it may be a rod knock but I am not sure. So here is a video of it. Let me know what you may think it is

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ztnQ4pdiGo"]1998 Katana 600 engine noise - YouTube[/ame]

Doesnt jump out to me as rod knock, but def doesnt sound good.

Loose cam chain, loose valve clearances, checks those before you make a decision...oil cooled I4 engines make a lot of clackity clackity bang.
    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
    Originally posted by soulless kaos
    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

hmm, I suppose that sounds a little better. I was also told it might just need some new oil (I didn't change it when I bought it in december)

Comment

Also check your exhaust for loose bolts. Mine was making a racket and it was that one of the exhaust pipes was loose, leaking, and vibrating a lot.

Comment

I'll make sure to check that, but I didn't think it sounded like exhaust

Comment

are there any other opinions on what might be going one here?? the advice is greatly appreciated

Comment

It sounds terrible, I can't put my ear to it but if that noise is coming from the bottom end its bad. If its the top end you need to check your valve clearances and your can chain tensioner. When was your tensioner spring replaced?

Comment

I can't really tell if its coming from the top or bottom end either. and I honestly don't know, I just bought it in December and haven't done anything with it yet

Comment

Originally posted by 88kat-rider View Post
                  When was your tensioner spring replaced?
                  That's a guaranteed never.
                  90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                  I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                  Originally posted by soulless kaos
                  but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by hart_57 View Post
                    I can't really tell if its coming from the top or bottom end either. and I honestly don't know, I just bought it in December and haven't done anything with it yet
                    Take a cardboard tube from a roll of paper towels and use it like a stethoscope. You should be able to tell what part of the engine the knocking is coming from.
                    sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
                    1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
                    2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
                    First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
                    Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

Actually if u use a screw driver as a "sounding bar" by holding the handle to your ear and the metal end to the case you should be able to tell where it's coming from. It's the old method but works well.

Once you know where it's comming from we can help you more

Comment

Thanks for the help, I'll have to give that stuff a try when I go home this weekend.

Comment

Well I finally got it all put back together, the tensioner appeared to be just fine and the cam chain was fine, so makings of where the chain was hitting the guard or anything else, cams looked fine. started it up and it had the same noise going on.... so anything else we might think it is?

Comment

Might be easier to shop around for a used engine. Yes yours could be fixed, but if your looking to get back in action faster and cheaper, used motor would be the best way to go, and install yourself.

If you want to get a good idea where it is coming from I recommend this, although the other methods work, I just find this easier and quicker. Any good local auto parts store will have them also should be more then 10-15 bucks.

Comment

I have that tool...will definately work, but be carefull what you place/hit it against... it will hurt you ears if it hits moving parts...

As for the noise, I cannot suggest anything form the video... not without hearing it firsthand.... sorry, but i do not want to send you in the wrong direction...
                              "Life is what happens when you make plans..."

http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=119546

Comment

Working...
                              X