X

Looking at my first bike

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by csdwarf View Post
    ...I can get the welding kit for 100ish bucks...
    Amazing deals on this 80 Watt Iron Plastic Welding Kit at Harbor Freight. Quality tools & low prices.

If you have an air compressor:
    Harbor Freight buys their top quality tools from the same factories that supply our competitors. We cut out the middleman and pass the savings to you!

The deluxe package, no compressor required:

I use this:
    Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
    HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by zuma View Post
      Well CSDWARF, how tall are you? This could be a concern.
      Im about 5'9'' @ 18 , but used to be really small, freshmen year I was like 5 foot 90 lbs or something.

now i'm like 170, that's a lot of weight to gain haha.

and, thank you for the links, I was using search and found a few people saying that 97 plastics will fit on my bike? the holes are the same? except the rear peice?

that is a 12 peice fairing set? for a good price.

just wondering if that would work, if not Ill probably be ordering the welder.

thanks guys!

Comment

Those are for 98+ bikes.

They will not fit without serious modifications.
        90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
        I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
        Originally posted by soulless kaos
        but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

I was looking the plastics over tonight, I think once i hit all the bondo out there might be some bigger holes ( two were the mirrors went) and one side down low were it slides on is worn though, the welding seems like it would take a lot of plastic to fill these in.

Do you guys do fiberglass or something similar? whats the techniques?

Also been reading about second gear in these bikes, Mine seems to be fine, but how delicate are they actually? like do I have to worry about it? or is it as long as i can actually shift it will be fine? ive been riding motorcycles for 10 years and know how to use a clutch without a problem, just would like a little more info on this subject, everything else on the bike seems bullet proof.

thanks guys!

Comment

The second gear issue is usually a chipped or badly worn shift fork that allows the trans to pop out of 2nd gear under throttle. Its mostly caused by crap shifting, the throw to second is a lot longer so if you mess that up...bang...
            90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
            I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
            Originally posted by soulless kaos
            but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

The Vance and Hines muffler can easily be repacked with fiberglass to quiet it down. I recommend "Moose Racing" repack kit

Built up Black 94 5.0 Mustang - Champagne Pearl 2001 Chrysler LHS - Canary Yellow 2001 Katana 600 - 94 F350 7.3 IDI turbo crew cab dually

Comment

thank! was wondering how to quite it down.

Thanks a ton guys!

any good places to buy plastics for these bikes? or am i not going to find 250$ fairing kits for this year?

kinda getting that vibe by the way everyone is saying try to repair it with plastic welding

thanks a ton guys! Getting oil @ napa tomorrow, chaning the oil ( already got the filter)

then going on my first decent ride.

Comment

I dont beleive any of the China companies make a fairing kit for it. I think your best bet would be to keep checking eBay.

If you can paint- then remember you can buy all different color fairings- if theyre in good shape- and paint them to the same color.

Comment

Alright, I would say that Ill be buying a few fairings that are in good shape and then painting them up.

But for now i might just cheapo patch up the ones I have and hit them with a coat of burgundy ( I have a lot of paint and equipment around for painting cars.)

Is there a special paint to adhere with ABS? I talked with my dad and he said the only time he has worked with it is vacuum forming it, and knows nothing about painting it.

also, my turn signals are blacked out, they are aftermarket, and I dont know if they came that way, but it would be awesome to make them clear, any tips/tricks?

thanks guys!

Alright, I would say that Ill be buying a few fairings that are in good shape and then painting them up.

But for now i might just cheapo patch up the ones I have and hit them with a coat of burgundy ( I have a lot of paint and equipment around for painting cars.)

Is there a special paint to adhere with ABS? I talked with my dad and he said the only time he has worked with it is vacuum forming it, and knows nothing about painting it.

thanks guys!
                    Last edited by csdwarf; 04-05-2012, 09:59 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Most likely the turn signals came that way but if someone tinted them themselves its its just on the surface and can be sanded off then polish the plastic

Built up Black 94 5.0 Mustang - Champagne Pearl 2001 Chrysler LHS - Canary Yellow 2001 Katana 600 - 94 F350 7.3 IDI turbo crew cab dually

Comment

put 60 miles on the bike for the first real ride today, went great.

goes down the road awesome, only two minor things i noticed, and im pretty picky.

The handlebars bull very very slightly to the left when you break hard, its bearly noticeable.

and also, when crusing there is a pulling nose, sounds as if maybe the rear rotor is slightly warped and every revolution it touches the break pad?

anyway super happy with the bike, pretty quick and good on gas! handles very nice aswell.

katanas seem like good overall bikes for sure! glad i ended up with one!

Comment

Hey guys, next thing on the list is my exhaust, someone took a torch to the bottom of a perfectly good vance and hines exhaust, and its loud.

like i said Im going to try to fix it, but I might be able to get a new exhaust cheap.

there is one for a 2006 katana 600 on local craigslist for 150 bux, so if i could adapt that to fit it would be awesome.

My dad owns a machine shop, so we can do metal work, as long as its worth it.

Comment

Putting a 2006 header on a '97 Kat takes swapping to the 1998-2006 oil pan and oil strainer tube.
                            Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                            HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Working...
                            X