X

oil light!!???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil light!!???

I did an oil change on my bike yesterday. I rode it for a couple miles. This morning the Red oil light comes on when i turn the key to on position( my bike also does not start). The oil guage is also at low for some reason. I put in 4 quiartz. Is it not starting becasue i dont have enough oil in there??? Whats up with the red oil lihgt??

EDIT: let me make this clearer. I got an oil change from the dealership.

First thing I'd do is go check your oil drain bolt for a leak, then check the oil filter itself for a leak. The filter may not be seated properly.
    Kyle

Comment

The oil light means the engine isn't building sufficient oil pressure. Usually this happens because of insufficient oil, but it also could be caused by bad wires to the sensor, the sensor itself going bad, or the oil pump or oil pressure regulator failing. The light comes on whenever the key is on and the engine isn't running, because there's no pressure...

Given your situation, I suspect you leaked too much oil out or they didn't fill it properly... Check for leaks & oil level.

One word of note: if the light comes on while riding, stop, shut off the engine. Do not drive with the light on, or you're asking for the engine to self-destruct (because the engine isn't getting the oil it needs on the moving parts at the top of the engine).

Cheers
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

+1 on Jason's reply. We changed the oil on my brothers Kat and once we were done, it wouldn't turn over. Turns out, the kickstand switch was jammed with dirt and wouldn't disengage. We gacve it a little wiggle and she fired right up.
        You can have my Kat when you pry my cold dead butt from upon it.

Comment

Just what I was gonna say. Is it turned on? I'm not being a smart ass, it's happened to me before. I've had that panicked felling cause it didnt turn over. Turn's out I didnt have it on or the kickstand was down or something dumb like in gear. And uh, change your oil your self. It's hella easy. Sit down with your bike have a beer and read the manual. Or bring it to me!!!
          2003 gsx600f (the yellow one)
          vortex sprockets,D&D slip on,c/f led lights
          JIM's cowl, mesh, clearalt's ds signal, zero gravity ds screen

Comment

Originally posted by Jason05
            the oil light always comes on when the key is on and the motor isnt running. is the motor cranking? i had a friend that freaked out cause his gsxr600 wouldnt start and it turned out that he was a dumbass and had the kick stand down and it in gear.
            I really hate to admit it but I have actually done that . Two days after I bought my Kat I had it all tuned up, gone threw, etc... by a buddy of mine and when I got it back home, went out to take it for a cruise and wouldn't start. Oil light was on. I really freaked myself out. Called my buddy up, he came over and just called me a dumba$$.
            2002 R1
            Yoshi TRS exhaust, Undertail, Ohlins Steering Stabilizer, Dark Windshield, Frame Sliders.

Comment

Re: oil light!!???

Originally posted by john 07
              my bike also does not start
              Question on this,

A) your bike doesn't start at all when you hit the starter button meaning the starter doesn't crank so nothing happens at all when you hit the starter button?

OR

B) the starter cranks over but the bike doesn't fire up?
              Kyle

Comment

jason made an important point.....obviously there will be no oil pressure and the oil light will stay on if the bike is not running. there is NO possible way a bike will not start because of a lack of oil pressure. the pressure develops after the bike is started. you can start a bike with the engine completely void of any oil at all....with no filter installed and the drain plug laying on the floor....even if it is one of the dumbest things you could ever do.

so i would say your problem lays elsewhere. kickstand safety switch, faulty battery connection, bad coils, defective igniter, dead battery (or low with inadequate juice to fire up), or any one of several other problem.

my advice is that if it was the dealer who changed the oil, take it back to them and explain that it appeared after the oil change. maybe when they removed the fairings to get at it, they loosened a wire that decided to come completey disconnected after riding it home.
                I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

My best guess: clutch sensor switch (either loose, disconnected, someone is screwing with you by unplugging it and plugging it in with only one of the two leads in the plug).

Peace and good luck!
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

one thing i can pretty much garantee you....it is something simple. unless your engine goes "bang-crash-pow"......it is something simple. although simple is not always easy to locate. just rest assured that it will not be a major expense....just a pain in the arse inconvenience.
                    I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Something to check as well......
                      -get your bike in neutral
                      -pull clutch handle
                      -let bike turn over

If it didn't turn over at all.....then most likely it would be the kickstand safety switch (jammed,stuck,corroded,loose wire connection)

Your bike can start in gear with the clutch lever pulled and the kickstand up.

I would bet either of those 2 scenarios are your problems.

Let us know what happens.
                      My sig is boring.

Comment

Hey all, i was able to get the bike started. It was just a battery problem. I oil still does read low, so im going to put in more until its in between l and f. Anyways, i feel dumb cuz the problem was so "dumb"

Comment

Better to ask the question than bugger up your bike. Glad to hear she's running.

Your not checking the oil level cold are you? and maybe getting a flase low reading?

Run bike for 2 or 3 minutes. shut off, check oil level after 60 seconds or so with the bike upright ( I sit on it), not on sidestand.
                          Kyle

Comment

Working...
                          X