KOTM Dec 2007 Chinto

Welcome to the KatRiders.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   KatRiders.com > Service Department > Wiring and Electrics

Wiring and Electrics Questions, answers and posts pertaining to electrical mods and problems

Old 11-27-2017, 08:50 PM   #1
Dhawk12
Squid

Default Replacement LED headlight, no low beam

I am currently trying to install a 7" round LED headlight on my pre-750 and only the high beam is working. I have tested the plug for voltage and there is ~11.5 volts at both terminals of the plug depending on whether the hi beam switch is toggled. Battery itself has ~12.5 volts. It is in winter storage mode so it hasn't been run in a while. When I hook up the headlight, there is no illumination on the low beam setting, even though there is still power at the plug, but the high beam, which lights up both leds in the light, turns on fine when switched to.

When hooked up briefly to the battery to test the light using a jumper, the light functions as it should with one lead lighting up the single low beam lamp and the other powering both.

My guess is it is something resistance based where the high beam circuit is generating enough resistance between the two bulbs and the indicator bulb, whereas the low beam circuit with just the single bulb is not. I am even more inclined to this as when I put a supplied "anti-flicker harness" in the circuit (which is just 3 capacitors) the low beam will turn on when switching from hi to low for a few seconds before turning off again, which I believe is a result of the capacitors adding that extra resistance while charging.

In addition, when I plug the ground in, and then run a jumper to each individual circuit, the light functions as normal, but when I plug the two connectors together, only the highs work. The same things happens when I plug the ground in and run two jumpers to the connections. When I do that, only the highs work again, until I unplug one of the jumpers, then the remaining circuit works as normal.

Any suggestions for resolving this? Is it possible the hi-low beam switch is dirty and allowing voltage through when it shouldn't on the high beam side?

Would adding a resistor such as https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

resolve the issue?

Last edited by Dhawk12; 11-27-2017 at 09:25 PM..
Dhawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 11:35 PM   #2
Lachie
Poser

I'm thinking it may be a polarity problem on the low side but don't quote me on that. Indication is power flowing back from the capacitor which will actually flow electrons in the other direction.

LED's will only work if power is flowing in the right direction but have no idea how your lights are wired.

I'm not going to recommend you change the polarity.... you would need to be happy reversing it would cause any damage but it would be something I would try.

My LED indicators are wired up in what looks like the reverse direction for the RH side as it's the only way they will work.
Lachie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 12:20 PM   #3
Dhawk12
Squid

I am not sure if reversing the polarity on the low side would resolve it as the circuit works as is using jumpers as long as both the Hi and low circuit are not both plugged in. So basically the low beam only works if the high beam isn't plugged in at the same time. It almost sounds like a short circuit, but it works perfectly fine with a halogen bulb. It is also worth noting that I have the exact same problem when connecting this light to another pre-750 I have.
Old 11-28-2017, 02:36 PM   #4
Dhawk12
Squid

Also, I just did a test and there is continuity between the hi and low beam wires on the bike when the switch on the handlebars is on low beam, but not when it is on hi beam. This would seem to indicate that there is some sort of short circuit occurring. However, the same thing occurs on my second bike, and a halogen bulb works fine in both instances so I am at a bit of a loss as to what is going on, as it seems to be a circuit design issue rather than something malfunctioning.
Old 11-28-2017, 02:50 PM   #5
92xjunker
Neo-maxoid-zoomed-bweebie
Supporting Member

eBay ID: guysmustang

Iím thinking polarity also, Chinese lights and electrical donít follow our systems so, youíre probably hooked up incorrectly. Bench light the lamp to verify proper connections.
If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group
92xjunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 03:02 PM   #6
Dhawk12
Squid

I believe I did a "bench test." I hooked the light straight up to the battery using jumpers and the low beam comes on with the correct wire and the high beam comes on with the correct wire as well. Given that LEDs are directional I think that also confirms that the black wire on the light is in fact the ground wire. Also for what its worth the light was made in Canada and isn't a cheapy chinese one off of ebay. The only issues I can find are that there is continuity between the two headlight circuits on the bike when in low beam, but upon consulting a wiring diagram, I can't see why that would be, and it is the same on both of my bikes.
Old 11-28-2017, 03:13 PM   #7
TRPUT
Kat Daddy

You may need to do the 4656 to H4 conversion as shown if you scroll down this page.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/H4-LED-H...item4d07736912

Simple matter of carefully removing the individual connectors from the plug and repositioning them.
Old 11-28-2017, 05:24 PM   #8
92xjunker
Neo-maxoid-zoomed-bweebie
Supporting Member

eBay ID: guysmustang

^^^^^^ exactly what I was thinking.
92xjunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 12:10 AM   #9
Lachie
Poser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRPUT View Post
You may need to do the 4656 to H4 conversion as shown if you scroll down this page.
Wasn't aware of this but yeah double ditto on that makes sense to me
Lachie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 12:57 PM   #10
Dhawk12
Squid

I am not sure that is the solution in this instance as the bench test has confirmed that the wiring for the light matches the wiring configuration on the bike. Ie the wire that controls high beam on the light attaches to the wire that controls high beam on the bike and the wire that controls low beam on the light matches the wire that controls low beam on the bike and the same for the ground.

Moreover, these circuits work as they should when connected together as long as both the high and low beam circuits are not connected at the same time.

Swapping the configuration on the plug would make sense if I had been unable to get the low beam on at all, but as it stands now, swapping the ground and the low beam wires would cause the high beam to stop working as it would no longer have a ground but would be trying to ground through the low beam circuit which isn't a complete circuit while the high beam is switched on.
Sponsored Links

KatRiders.com > Service Department > Wiring and Electrics