Clutch Problems

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch Problems

I have a 2006 GSX750f
    I bought the bike running but with clutch problems.
    He said that it had dropped a clutch spring. Indeed it had. He had taken it apart and took the spring out because it had a broken bolt that holds the spring in. I found the spring in the tool holder under the seat. The head of the bolt and washer still remain unaccounted for. I am hoping the guy found them and took them out.

I bought a complete used clutch basket. I used the springs, bolts and basket but not the fiber clutches or plates. I put it all back together. I changed the oil using 10w40 synthetic automobile oil but did not change the oil filler.
    Started it up put it in gear and got nothing.

So I order a new set of clutch friction plates, springs, clutch gasket, oil filter and Quicksilver 10w50 synthetic motorcycle oil. I put it all together and got the same outcome. I adjusted the clutch at the handle bar and where the cable goes in to the case. I had it up on the center stand. The first time I put it in gear and had the clutch leaver pull in but the back wheel was turning and I could not get it to stop. I adjusted the clutch handle and it turned with the clutch handle all the way in again but I was almost able to stop it with my foot. I adjusted it again and this time I could let the clutch out before the back wheel would turn. I thought great, ride time. NO GO. Same thing as when I first started off with the old stuff in it.

Does any one have suggestions as to why it won't go?

Also What is this?

Is it supposed to have a cover over it?

Thanks

Last edited by CaptnRonFl; 05-21-2017, 01:41 PM.

That shaft with the locknut on it is your clutch adjustment. It normally has a rubber plug hiding it.

Comment

I thought the adjustment was only on the handle bar and where the cable goes into the case.
      I will look in the manual to see how to adjust the clutch from there.
      If some one knows how to do this or any tidbits that would help please let me know.

In the mean time I will look for something to use as a plug to cover the hole.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Sarge13 View Post
        That shaft with the locknut on it is your clutch adjustment. It normally has a rubber plug hiding it.
        +1
        1998 Katana 750
        1992 Katana 1100
        2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Well one more thing I can check off the list.
          Clutch is now adjusted and working fine.
          First ride. It felt great. :tracy
          I only used first and second gear but it was enough.

I ordered a gasket for the engine oil pan.
          I will put on the gasket, synthetic 10w40 motorcycle oil and oil filter after I put a few miles on it.

Next to do is change out the spark plugs, bleed the brakes and put air in the tires.

Then it's time for another check out ride.

Thanks

Comment

Right on Ron - glad you got her running

Comment

Well I couldn't wait for a proper ride so I air up the tires and off I went.
              I made it to the circle at the end of my street when the sound of the chain and sprocket got my attention. Just order a chain and sprocket set up.
              It should be in by the beginning of next month.
              Oh well. Not looking forward to changing the front sprocket.
              At least I will get a couple of things out of the way in the mean time.

Comment

Changing sprockets & chain isn't a big deal...I did mine years ago (532 on 1100s) and I'll be doing it again when I put mine back on the road.

The biggest chore is cleaning all the sludge off everything behind the front sprocket...not replacing the gear itself.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptnRonFl View Post
                  Well I couldn't wait for a proper ride so I air up the tires and off I went.
                  I made it to the circle at the end of my street when the sound of the chain and sprocket got my attention. Just order a chain and sprocket set up.
                  It should be in by the beginning of next month.
                  Oh well. Not looking forward to changing the front sprocket.
                  At least I will get a couple of things out of the way in the mean time.
                  Not a big deal, 2x4 and a person to stand on the rear brake, And a torque wrench for that large socket.
                  What brand did you order?
                  Last edited by 92xjunker; 05-22-2017, 08:52 PM.
                  "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                  spammer police
                  USAF veteran
                  If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

I think I might have messed upped. I decided to get things ready for the new chain and sprocket so I started to take things apart.
                    I broke two ears off of this bolt not knowing that it was an allen head.
                    I think it is for the sensor.

I looked on Ron Ayers but could not find it. Checked Bike Bandit and they only show the nut that holds on the sprocket.
                    Does anyone know what it is far and will missing two ears mess anything up?

I bought a Caltric Steel O-Ring Drive Chain & Sprockets Kit with Front Sprocket 15 Teeth and Rear Sprocket 45 Teeth.
                    It should be here between
                    May 26 - Jun 1. They said it shipped yesterday.

Thanks
                    Last edited by CaptnRonFl; 05-24-2017, 02:24 PM.

Comment

Ron - Check your PM...

Comment

Originally posted by CaptnRonFl View Post
                        I think I might have messed upped. I decided to get things ready for the new chain and sprocket so I started to take things apart.
                        I broke two ears off of this bolt not knowing that it was an allen head.
                        I think it is for the sensor.

I looked on Ron Ayers but could not find it. Checked Bike Bandit and they only show the nut that holds on the sprocket.
                        Does anyone know what it is far and will missing two ears mess anything up?

I bought a Caltric Steel O-Ring Drive Chain & Sprockets Kit with Front Sprocket 15 Teeth and Rear Sprocket 45 Teeth.
                        It should be here between
                        May 26 - Jun 1. They said it shipped yesterday.

Thanks
                        That is what the speed sensor on the sprocket cover detects as it spins for your speedometer. It will throw off the speedo and mileage broken like that. You will need to replace it if you want the speedo to work OEM.

It's part 21 under the speedometer fiche...

Used on many models and years.

Not real expensive.

Krey
                        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Nice! I PM'd him an Ebay link to a used one for like $2 less than the new one you linked.

So...If you change the sprockets to a different ratio you need a speedo healer or something to compensate?

Comment

Originally posted by RobertTravis View Post
                            Nice! I PM'd him an Ebay link to a used one for like $2 less than the new one you linked.

So...If you change the sprockets to a different ratio you need a speedo healer or something to compensate?
                            Any changes to sprocket or tires OD would need a speedo healer.

Honestly, even stock setup could use one to correct the normal 10% off issue.

Krey
                            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I took it up to the local dealer and ordered it.
                              It should be here Wednesday afternoon.
                              Today I am changing out the chain and sprockets.
                              I bought a chain breaker kit just in case I need it.
                              Monday if I don't go out to play, I am going to change out the plugs.
                              So far so good except for the mess up on the trigger.
                              Thanks for all the help.

Comment

Working...
                              X