X

What did you do to your Kat today?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glad to hear he's still doing it.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

• Started changing the brakes today. Just under 2 hours total to get the rears done. Ran out of daylight right about then, so I'll hit the fronts tomorrow. I did mic all the discs though. Rear disc is at 50%, fronts are both at around 65% (and all are extremely smooth with no felt lip or ridges), so doing a pads only change.

The manual was a bit short on details, so there was a lot of wasted time figuring things out, but otherwise it went tolerably well. Only launched one spring into the air during removal (was able to find it after a couple minutes looking around). Old pads were down to practically nothing (I really wish it was easier to see the pad thickness without pulling the pads). Biggest issue of the evening was finding a way to get in there to compress the pistons as the recommended clamps just don't fit (nor do my fingers). Ended up using one of the small Snap-On pry bars (barely bigger than a common screwdriver) and prying against the old pads (reinserted for just that purpose). That got it right quick.

Fronts should go a lot smoother, I had them apart the previous Winter, so am expecting no snags.

Comment

• Front brakes done today. Only 1.25 hours for all of them. Fronts are much easier than rears on this bike. Slight snag with the one caliper where I didn't get the pistons on one side pushed quite far enough back and had to revisit that portion of the work. Went for a short 15 mile test ride/initial brake bedding. Just using the EBC FA series as this is a commuter for me (and I got a screaming good bargain on them locally). Still, despite not being bedded in, they're better than the stock pads that were on the bike.

Old fronts were not nearly as trashed as the rears were. All were still above minimum thickness (not by much though), running between 2.2-2.4 mm on the left and 2.05-2.2 on the right (which is the side that I rebuilt due to sticking a year or 2 ago).

A good start to the riding season.

Comment

• Rode it 814 miles in the last two days!

Comment

• Originally posted by cool4kats View Post
            Rode it 814 miles in the last two days!
            I sir am jealous. Only have about 200 miles in.
            J'ai Aime, J'ai Souffert, Maintenant, Je Hais...

which is translated from french 2 english reads:

I have loved. I have suffered. Right now, I hate.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheCheetorProject View Post
              I sir am jealous. Only have about 200 miles in.
              I did 426 yesterday and confirmed that 390 is my comfort level with 400 being 10 miles of starting to not like it. The last 25-30 miles was not fun. The foot peg to seat distance is the one thing my beat up joints end up fighting. Previously broken knees like the chair position, not the squatting one so much. But this bike is sooo fun to ride!

Comment

• Tested out the newly fitted rear shock from a 2006 CBR 600... Rides 10 times better and ive only ridden about 30 miles but the handling is even better then before! Love this old beast!

Comment

• Originally posted by Derek939 View Post
                  Tested out the newly fitted rear shock from a 2006 CBR 600... Rides 10 times better and ive only ridden about 30 miles but the handling is even better then before! Love this old beast!
                  A direct fit was it?

Comment

• Finally made time to cut out and sand smooth a pair of 1" mirror extenders... I can finally see past my shoulders in the mirrors !!
                    2005 Katana 750

Comment

• Originally posted by B-Man View Post
                      Finally made time to cut out and sand smooth a pair of 1" mirror extenders... I can finally see past my shoulders in the mirrors !!
                      Pics?

Comment

• what pipes would work on a 1993 katana 600 please post links because i am looking on to change out the original pipes to make it sound meaner i guess

Comment

• Originally posted by GSXFJeff View Post
                          A direct fit was it?
                          I did the swap about 2 years ago and never got to ride it till now. If I remember right I only had to slightly bend the battery box and relocate a few of the relays and it bolts straight up. That along with a 4 to 1 pro circuit exhaust makes it ride very nice! Need to sync the carbs now though.
                          Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by cool4kats View Post
                            Pics?
                            Attached Files
                            2005 Katana 750

Comment

• Originally posted by B-Man View Post
                              Very clean, nice!
                              1998 Katana 750
                              1992 Katana 1100
                              2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

• That does look nice. What did you use to make the mirror extenders?

Comment

Working...
                                X