Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

failed inspection due to blinkers being to small?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• failed inspection due to blinkers being to small?

Well i took the bike in for a new chain, and told them to inspect it for me. Well i never though anything of it, but i stripped the plastic off for the mechanic. He called today asking when i will be in to pick it up, I told him tomorrow since it is snowing here. Well he said he can't put a sticker on it, I said you mean it won't stick or it won't pass. Well he said it won't pass due to the fact that my rear turns are to small.

Has anyone heard of a size requirement for turn signals, they are required by state, but a size i thought they had to work. Visibility is not a problem. He said i would need to put the stock ones back on for it to pass, so i am betting my front won't pass either. Any body have this kind of problem.

And does anyone have a set they would be willing to part with for fairly cheap price?

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

this is what my rear signals are, black with a smoked lense, amber bulb.

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

What kind of signals are you running. Its alittle hard to tell from the pic in your profile. I dont know of any size requirement for signals in PA, off the top of my head.

Are they LED's ?

Comment

sorry about that, i looked and realize i forgot to post the link in there, and here are my fronts. all non led.
        but visability is not a problem, they are bright as can be, i can see a problem being smoked, but what is smoked different than clear on a car?

Comment

Those are just standard flush mounts, nothing special in terms of them being singled out to not pass inspection. Unless WV has some kinda law about it, but I cant imagine he's failed every bike that every came through his shop with flush mounts on them. An amber lense with an amber bulb should be plenty bright enough to pass.

I'd probably call around to other shops and inspection stations and ask them if your type of signals would pass inspection if they did it for you and see what they say. did they have any problems with your rear signals at all ?

Comment

well they didn't blink because i took the farrings off, but they do light up amber. the rears have a smoked lense. Maybe that is it, but he commented on the size. So i will go to the honda and the harley shop(bite my tounge) to see what they say also. it is crazy, at first i didn't think they were mandatory because some custom motorcycle shops around here sell them with out turns, so i will go talk with them also. Something stupid, i would have never thought of.

Comment

He's probably referring to the rear..from the look of the pic in your profile they are pretty small, but they are there none the less.. Ive seen bikes inspected all the time with TINY led's on the tail section, some barely visible unless they are actually blinking.

They do need to see the signals work though, so if they weren't working right at the time they wont pass that way either. I'd definately get a 2nd opinion on them none the less

Comment

thanks wildkat, i'll talk to him and see what he says, and then once i get the oil changed and plastics back on i'll get some other opinions. i appreciate it, thanks.

Comment

In IL, we don't even have to have turn signals, as long as we use hand signals...I'm not sure how we're supposed to signal a turn while holding the clutch in...

Of course, we don't have to pass an inspection every year, either.
                  Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
                  -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
                  -Terence

Comment

No problem

Must be nice not having inspections every year, and emissions for cars either.. what a crock ! Just another way for the state to suck more money out of your wallet, especially when its not even mandated by every county in the state !!

Comment

man. im riding around with a bent frame, no mirrors, no signals, and an exhaust leak. all my cars usually have no mufflers, body panels held on with safety wire, and bald tires. god bless florida!

Comment

Im hoping mine passes in Michigan. I know we dont have to have blinkers but im wondering about the vance and hines slip on. It seems really loud but I hope it passes. It is a wrecked bike that i fixed so I need to pass inspection.

Comment

if I'm reading this web page correctly you don't even need rear tail lights in WV

Unless the site is incorrect ??
                          Some people are a lot like Slinkys.
                          Not really good for anything, but bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

Yeah that chart is for 2004 so I dont know if any laws have changed at all. Checking with his local DOT would be a good place to start too.

Comment

yeah i didn't think we needed them either. i found this site.

but then again it might be like our cars inspection. you aren't mandated to have fog/driving lights, but if they are on there, they gotta work. if that is the case, bye bye turn signals for inspection.

Comment

Working...
                              X