X

Carb to head intake boot conundrum.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb to head intake boot conundrum.

I have run into a big snag on trying to install the carbs. I had installed them tickety boo( I thought) until I read a thread on the GS Resources recentley which mentions the the boots need to be installed so the bend is in the vertical plane which allows the carbs to sit level in the horizontal. Looking at the Kat pictures around, they all sure look that way.

Now I didn't take the rubber boots off ( they came in a box) so I don't even know if these are the correct ones but I have not reason to believe that they aren't. Having said that, I tried every combination of setup and there is no way I can get them to line up to accept the carbs other than the way I had them. As the intake tubes out of the head angle in to the centerline I turned the bends on the boots to the other direction forming a kind of s shape. The "mouths" then all line up, are properly spaced and accept the carbs. Problem then is the carbs sit in line with the forward lean of the head.

So I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts. Am I missing anything?

I've been puzzling this one for a couple of hours now and can't see how these things can go on any other way than I had them but that sure doesn't look right.

I appreciate any thoughts.

Cheers all,
    Spyug

That is the correct installation. Ray.
    85GS1150E 83GS1100SD 83GS1100ES 82GS1000SZ 96GSXR1500DRAGBIKE 96GSXR1400DRAGBIKE 90GSXR1166DRAGBIKE 05SDG110PITBIKE & 8 QUADS!!! "Life is tough! It's even tougher when you're stupid!" John Wayne

Comment

The carb boots should be marked "L" or "R" for left or right side. When installed correctly, the L or R should be on the top.

Comment

Thanks for the input.

I am aware of the L & R stampings and the boots on the correct sides. Someone on the GSR board mentioned installing the boots but leaving them loose until the carbs are on then rotating them to get the correct angle for the carbs to sit. I'm going to try that tonight if time permits.

Its my Christmas wish to fire this baby up sometime over the holidays and I'm hoping Santa leaves me a new battery. Hopefully I can iron this out first of course.

Cheers,
        Spyug

Comment

I was able to get this sorted quite easily once I had the boots all facing the right way. They are, as mentioned, marked L and R but they are not marked for direction and I had them the wrong way around. In this position they slip on the head easily as the carb side opening is slightly larger. The carbs were then harder to insert and once in position did not sit horizontally as required.

Once in the correct orientation it is easy to get the carbs on and they naturally align to the horizontal. It helps a great deal to warm the rubbers and slightly lubricate them with silicone spray or some grease. I use a heat gun for paint removal to get them soft and it works a treat. Just becareful not to start a fire as these things throw a lot of heat.

I just wanted to mention this for any others who might experience the same issue.

Cheers,
          spyug

Comment

Thanks for the heads up. I will keep this in mind when I start work on the motor.

As far as heat guns throwing heat, tell me about it. I have a nice scar on my forearm from one that was set on high for about an hour while removing tile glue from a sub-floor. Still have figured out why glue was used in the first place.

Comment

May not apply to your situation, but construction adhesive is often used between the subflooring and joists (wood to wood contact) to prevent squeaking that occurs when the floor flexes and the two bits of wood rub against each other. Same would apply to any other contact area where the floor could flex and result in two such surfaces rubbing against each other.

Comment

Originally posted by paul.miner View Post
                May not apply to your situation, but construction adhesive is often used between the subflooring and joists (wood to wood contact) to prevent squeaking that occurs when the floor flexes and the two bits of wood rub against each other. Same would apply to any other contact area where the floor could flex and result in two such surfaces rubbing against each other.
                It was used to hold 4 floor tiles down rather then cement. It was clearly a repair from the previous owner. Anyways...I don't want to high jack this thread.

Comment

Working...
                X