taking the engine out of my kat

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• taking the engine out of my kat

Hey forum people,
    Got a small question about getting the engine out of my 82 Katana.I see that most people lean the bike on the right side of the engine block,undo the engine bolts and lift the frame up.

Is that the best way to do it??
    Any tips or ideas would be great!
    Thanks in advance.

I haven't done it with a Kat or any 4 cyl bikes but I did it with my XS650 twin and my Virago V-twin and that's how I did it. I put down a car tire (without a rim) laid the bike on that, pulled all the bolts and lifted the frame off. I've done it myself with the twins but I'd recommend getting a second set of hands for the Kat, that engine is heavy and awkward.

However you do it be careful.

Cheers,
    Spyug

Comment

done it many times when parting out bikes. I just lay down some cardboard with an old blanket, lean the bike over on it's side, remove bolts, then lift the frame off the engine. I did try it with a tire once, but found it did not lay the bike flat and everything was kinda wobbly and and at a bad angle....so now I just lay it flat on the floor.

anyhoo, regardless of what you put under it, it will always be easier to remove the frame from the engine than vice verse. the frame weighs maybe 20% of what the engine weighs. in other words, forget about trying to remove the engine from the frame with it on the kickstand. you are just asking for "trouble" that way as it can easily fall over or roll ahead...then fall over. I wouldn't try it that way even if I had an extra set of hands.
      I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

I agree that the frame off method is best and while I haven't done it, I've heard of another method using a 'come along" or chain fall. It does seem a bit fiddlier however as you attach the come along to a sturdy overhead beam with the other end to the engine. Undo the bolts, take tension on the engine and pull the frame to one side. I think you'd need a second set of hands for that one.

While the tire can create a bit of instability when the bike is first laid over I found it a good way for the engine to be "captured" and held when the frame is lifted off.The engine block usually slips into the center hole with the head resting on the rubber. I don't know if it was mentioned but its always best with this method to remove the fork and front wheel and the back wheel and swingarm as it lightens things up considerably.

Either way, with or without this method is likely still the easiest and safest.

Let us know how you do it and good luck with it.

Cheers,
        Spyug
        Last edited by spyug; 12-17-2009, 12:07 PM.

Comment

I had my frame and engine sitting on jackstands, so to ge tthe motor out I needed something a little taller. Enter 1 square heavy plastic bucket (Like a laundry detergent bucket). I placed the signal generator cover in the bucket and lifted the frame off. Getting the engine out of the bucket was a painful experience and required two of us.

I'm wondering how I'm going to get it back into the frame when the time comes.

Comment

Originally posted by Smokinapankake View Post
            Getting the engine out of the bucket was a painful experience and required two of us.
            sorry for your pain,but

Comment

The easiest reinstallation method would be the reverse of the frame off. Prop the engine up on the floor on its side and slip the frame over it. An other way would be to use the chainfall method to lift the engine and push it sideways into the upright frame.

That could be a bit awkward so you could also wrap a couple of tie down straps around the engine and insert a steel bar or 2x4 between straps and engine to act as a lifting device. You need two strong backs, lift on the bar and insert the engine from one side.

Again, with these engines being so heavy and awkward I recommend a second set of hands when trying to position it.

When doing this kind of work it is always good to keep the work area clean ( no tools under foot to slide on or trip over) with plenty of room to manouver. Nothing worse than trying to jiggle something into place and then tripping over something and throwing your back out or otherwise injuring yourself. Been there and done that.

Easy enough if you think it through.

Cheers,
              Spyug

Comment

Do it on the floor...

Out and back in from the right side of the frame. Engine on a folded doormat and shimmed with 2 x 4's. Didn't go over-board padding the frame as I had someone help guide the frame over the engine. Made up engine bracket and stabbed the long through bolts. Took all of five minutes from the time we started until it was back on the lift. I have everything need to try to stab the engine into an up-right frame and wouldn't think of doing it. Just too easy on the floor.

Z

Comment

Well I'm the opposite - every engine I've pulled and reinstalled has been done with the bike upright. The Katana engine is easy - 2 x people; rest it onto the frame rail momentarily so you can reposition grip and then sit it in place. Took maybe 2 minutes.

1981 CB900F (silver)
                  1982 CB900F (blue)
                  1982 GS1000SZ Katana (silver)
                  1983 CB1100F (red)

Comment

Pontiacstogo,

You must not be an old phart, like me. I have to spend the extra three minutes.

Man, I always liked the '81 CB900F. When my Katana was new, I rode with some guys and one had a 900F identical to yours. I saw him do endo's on it...no cars involved, no bad road conditions involved, no curves involved, no alcohol involved...once we scrapped him up off the pavement he said that he just want to see what the front brakes would do...what a waste. Back in those days, there were XS1100s on every street corner and the Kat would eat them alive.

Nice work on your Kat, Pontiac. You did it justice without morphing it into something else.

Z

Comment

Originally posted by zackybilly1 View Post
                      Pontiacstogo,

You must not be an old phart, like me. I have to spend the extra three minutes.

Man, I always liked the '81 CB900F. When my Katana was new, I rode with some guys and one had a 900F identical to yours. I saw him do endo's on it...no cars involved, no bad road conditions involved, no curves involved, no alcohol involved...once we scrapped him up off the pavement he said that he just want to see what the front brakes would do...what a waste. Back in those days, there were XS1100s on every street corner and the Kat would eat them alive.

Nice work on your Kat, Pontiac. You did it justice without morphing it into something else.

Z
                      Oh trust me, I'm an old fart too

The CB900F's make a nice stablemate for the Kat. I also have a CB1100F that I'm in the middle of restoring and am on the lookout for a restorable 81/82 GPZ1100 (it never ends). The Kat gets attention and thumbs up every time I ride it and it's a fun bike, but if I'm heading for the backroads to clear my mind, I'll take one of the 900F's. They're a great all round performer.
                      1981 CB900F (silver)
                      1982 CB900F (blue)
                      1983 CB1100F (red)

Comment

I would love to get my hands on a Gpz one day. Even the Gpz turbo....I had one years ago and sold it to go to school. But I have my hands full with my Kat rebuild.

Comment

Pontiac...based on your choice in bikes (and cars), I should have gathered you were "calendar challenged", as well. On a differnent note, what kind of tires are you running on you Katana. I'm currently running a set of BattleAxes that I mounted 5 years ago...look okay but the bite is gone. I'm looking at going with some Avon RoadRiders....have a set on my Norton and they hold the road good but that bike weighs 120 lbs less.

Ukilme, I've only sold one bike in my lifetime that I didn't regret. It was a 1981 Yamaha 650 Special ($1800 new). Weaker than well-water and handled like a pig (unlike the earlier models), it was pretty, though. Barely put 1500 miles on it, sold it and got my money back out of it. Turn around and bought the Katana ($4,999.99 new).

Cans, sorry about the hi-jack. Laying down or standing up, right-side preferred.

Merry Christmas all.

Z

Comment

Originally posted by zackybilly1 View Post
                            On a differnent note, what kind of tires are you running on you Katana. I'm currently running a set of BattleAxes that I mounted 5 years ago...look okay but the bite is gone. I'm looking at going with some Avon RoadRiders....have a set on my Norton and they hold the road good but that bike weighs 120 lbs less.
                            I run BT45V's on all my bikes (unless they're wearing radials). I've heard good things about the Avons too though.
                            1981 CB900F (silver)
                            1982 CB900F (blue)
                            1983 CB1100F (red)

Comment

Originally posted by pontiacstogo View Post
                              I run BT45V's on all my bikes (unless they're wearing radials). I've heard good things about the Avons too though.
                              I'm running Michelin Pilot Sports on my 82, but it's also wearing 17" marchesini rims

Comment

Working...
                              X