X

Side panels.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Side panels.

Is it just me or do the side panels on the '82 look incomplete, kind of chopped off? I was thinking they should extend to the shock mounts to look finished. so this begs the question....are there any such (likely aftermarket) available or has anyone fabbed anything?

On a similar subject, are there any aftermarket body parts manufacturers that do body work for the Kats? My fairing and tail are decent but the underfairings are missing the end grills.

I can refurb the panels I'm sure but it would be easier, of course, if I could order up some.

cheers all,
    Spyug

Originally posted by spyug View Post
    Is it just me or do the side panels on the '82 look incomplete, kind of chopped off? I was thinking they should extend to the shock mounts to look finished. so this begs the question....are there any such (likely aftermarket) available or has anyone fabbed anything?

On a similar subject, are there any aftermarket body parts manufacturers that do body work for the Kats? My fairing and tail are decent but the underfairings are missing the end grills.

I can refurb the panels I'm sure but it would be easier, of course, if I could order up some.

cheers all,
    Spyug
    Ya they do look a bit chopped off to me too, but never seen anything else. Think of it as an all bizness look.

Comment

My fairing and tail are decent but the underfairings are missing the end grills.

cheers all,
      Spyug
      Underfairings? Do you mean the ones that clip on below the front fairing? If so, those are still available new.
      1981 CB900F (silver)
      1982 CB900F (blue)
      1982 GS1000SZ Katana (silver)
      1983 CB1100F (red)

Comment

Yup. Those are the ones. So you're saying they are still available throught Suzuki ?

I'll have to check with them.

Thanks for the heads up.

spyug

Comment

Yup. Those are the ones. So you're saying they are still available throught Suzuki ?

I'll have to check with them.

Thanks for the heads up.

spyug
          I got the left side from Bike Bandit and they still had the the ones you are looking for. This is were you can save yourself money. Make the list you need for Suzuki parts and then price it with Bike Bandit or such. The shipping will be less overall as they combine it. I spent 150 on parts (fairing, chock knob, frame rubbers etc.) and 25 for shipping. It was cheaper then using my friend's discount at his job in a Suzuki dealer.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion on Bike Bandit. I looked on their site but can't see any fiches for the Katanas. Nothing showing for GSX 750 SZ. Did you have to call them on your needs? I know that a lot of the parts i.e. engine and stuff are the same as the other 80s 750s but of course the body parts are specific.

I'll give them a call next chance I get.

Thanks again.

Spyug

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion on Bike Bandit. I looked on their site but can't see any fiches for the Katanas. Nothing showing for GSX 750 SZ.
              750 Kat's weren't sold new in the US. Try the GS1000SZ fiche instead;

1981 CB900F (silver)
              1982 CB900F (blue)
              1983 CB1100F (red)

Comment

Agreed with Pontiacstogo - the parts are all interchangeable for the early, original, (REAL) Katana. Thats why 7/11 conversions are so popular and easy.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion on Bike Bandit. I looked on their site but can't see any fiches for the Katanas. Nothing showing for GSX 750 SZ. Did you have to call them on your needs? I know that a lot of the parts i.e. engine and stuff are the same as the other 80s 750s but of course the body parts are specific.

I'll give them a call next chance I get.

Thanks again.

Spyug
                  The states did not have the 82 Kat 750. I went with the 83 Katana GS750SD. Really the samething except for the pegs.

Comment

Thanks for qll the info folks. Much appreciated. Its the strangest thing but when I looked up the fiches for any bike resembling a katana , I couldn't find a thing and I looked through everything listed for 750 and 1100. When I use your short cuts up they pop. The parts are pretty pricey mind you.

As I'm on self imposed fairly tight budget on this build, I think I may try and reproduce things myself. I have ABS plastic sheet and have some experience with "drape" forming which should allow me to copy those pieces.

Drape forming is a method like vacuum forming where the plastic sheet is heated to make it flexible and draped over a "buck" or form of the part you want to replicate. The buck or form is usually made in wood (MDF board works well) and slightly undersized. The plastic is around 3mm and when heated (oven at 200 deg for a few minutes) is soft enough to cover the form. It can be assisted with a paint stripping heat gun and wooden or plastic tools. Vacuum forming is actually easier but requires more equipment ( i.e vacuum table and pump) which i don't presently have.

I have used this method to make side panels before and with a little care and attention they turn out fairly well.

When I get to it I'll share some pics.

Cheers all,
                    Spyug

Comment

I'll have to look that process up. I am pretty good with fiber glass and have made a few parts from scratch but never tried ABS.

Comment

As I mentioned, it is not difficult. Likely the hardest part is making the form. For simple shapes like these fairing pieces you can use a soft wood like clear pine that is easy to shape or even pink foam but foam needs more surface finishing and a "shell" (epoxy or fiberglass coat). Just remember to make the 'buck" a little smaller than the finished piece to compensate for the thickness of the plastic.

Getting the plastic to the right temp also can be a bit challenging as it should be soft enough to sag noticeably. In order to be able to handle it, you really need to sandwich the plastic between 2 picture frames ( i.e. wood or metal frames..metal is best). Once its soft and saggy just plop it over the form. It helps if the form is elevated slightly so the plastic covers all sides. As it cools it will harden and take the shape of the form. Trim off any excess. You will also need to fabricate some mounting posts of course.

Its a bit fiddly of a project project but can be fun and might be the solution for making replacements of hard to find panels and pieces.

As I need a new windscreen, I'm going to use this method to fabbing up another using Acrylic or Lexan. I'll likely use the existing screen as my form. The new screen will end up being a tad larger but I don't think it will be really noticeable. Beats the high cost of an OEM one.

I've done a bit of fiberglassing myself and the other option is fiberglass over foam. I built the seat on my XS Streettracker that way. Again very simple. Take your high density foam (pink, blue or green) shape to your liking cover with epoxy resin and glass cloth, surface fill, sand and paint. Very good for one off projects but costlier than standard f/glass projects as you must use (more expensive) epoxy resin as standard polyester resins will eat the foam. You can also use this method for making your forms for the afore mentioned drape formed / vacuum formed "bucks" or for making plugs for fiberglass moulds. Lots of fun but gets messy.

I suppose if you do a cost / benefit analysis, it might be easier just ot buy the damn pieces if they are still available.

Cheers,
                        Spyug

Comment

As I need a new windscreen, I'm going to use this method to fabbing up another using Acrylic or Lexan. I'll likely use the existing screen as my form. The new screen will end up being a tad larger but I don't think it will be really noticeable. Beats the high cost of an OEM one.
                          I don't think many folks would be willing to pay the $300 odd a new OEM screen costs - there are aftermarket versions around for under $100;

1981 CB900F (silver)
                          1982 CB900F (blue)
                          1983 CB1100F (red)

Comment

Rob Wilton has them for 79 bucks right now. Can't really beat that. Go to Parts and click on sale.

Comment

Well at $79 a piece I can buy 3.5 4'x8' sheets of ABS that would make maybe 180 of those little fellas Maybe I should go into production. I could sell a pair for $39.95 and still make a huge profit

I do have a tough time spending that much on a little piece of plastic I'm afraid. I'm thinking I need to have a go at fabbing these myself.
                              I don't think many folks would be willing to pay the $300 odd a new OEM screen costs - there are aftermarket versions around for under $100
                              . Exactly what I'm thinking so more reason to DYI. Chunk of Acrylic $10.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Cheers,
                              Spyug
                              Last edited by spyug; 12-14-2009, 06:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X