X

Pre 600 fairing/mesh mod

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre 600 fairing/mesh mod

I was just wondering if anyone had ever did anything similar to this? I had just got done doing the shovel mod and was playing with some plastic thinking about how to make an undertail that looks decent. As I backed off looking at my work and thinking about how much the fender being gone changed the entire looks of the bike, I thought about what else I could do to make it look better. Thats when I thought about what it would look like with two vents instead of the big one. I had already put a piece of mesh in there and it was just too overwhelming in my opinion. So I took one of the scrap pieces of plastic and did a little trimming, sprayed some red paint on it and scotch taped it in place. I think it kinda goes along with the looks of the post kats. I know it wouldn't be the easist thing to do but is very do-able. I hope to paint it in a couple weeks or so and am seriously considering doing it. I'd just like to get other opinions though so what does everyone think?

Worked in right so that it looked pretty much "stock" I think that would be pretty nice looking.

BTW... your petcock is either on reserve or prime...

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

hmm I think it would look great.
      - Remember -
      Ride wherever the road takes you and
      never stop until every inch of pavement
      has tasted your rubber.

Comment

looks good i would go ahead and do it pick up a plastic welder from harbor freight and weld it there are some good tutorials on you tube and if i remember right there is a write up on here as well
        Do you know why Santa is so jolly.... Because he knows where all the naughty girls live..

Comment

Thanks! I was hoping everyone would like it. It just gives it a little character right? I guess that's what we're all after is just alittle uniqueness.I don't think its going to be too hard to do. It will have to have a slight curve in it to get around the frame so a lot of the fitment will have to be done on the bike. I've got some ideas on how I'm goin to do so when I start maybe I can snap some pics along the way.

Kreylyn:
          It probably was on prime. I had just done cleaning the carbs and just had the tank setting there. Shoot there probably wasn't maybe one or two bolts holding all the fairings on. LOL.

Wish me luck! It's kinda scary starting to cut on plastic especially when you make that cut of no return. HAHAHAHA.

Comment

ok heres just a quick idea on the same path as your going.. how about instead of just a flat piece of plastic like you have there. cut out the plastic in the shape of the suzuki "S" like thats on your tank and go from top to botom of the hole with it. im doing a complete frame off restore on my 89 gsx750f and have all mine off and after seeing this it gave me the idea of doing the "S" on my fairings. it will still break the big hole up and i think it will make it stand apert from other mesh mods too.. just my opinion. ive got other things to do on mine right now but i think for sure thats the way im gonna go with my mesh mod.
            sigpic
            if you can read this then your in range.
            1 shot 1 kill

Comment

looks good I think. I like the "S" idea as well...wont it be hard to make the plastic look as if it belongs there? How would you do it?
              sigpicTrust me I know everything! Just ask!

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbcraz-e View Post
                ...wont it be hard to make the plastic look as if it belongs there? How would you do it?
                Cut out a piece of ABS in the shape you want it. Sand the main fairing down to ABS plastic, and the ends of the piece your working on so that both are clean plastic showing. Use a rough grit (like 80 grit) just at the points of connection on both pieces.

Using ABS cement, put one side down and then make sure you have it held in place for 24 hours for it to cure. You can try doing the other side at the same time to reduce total time waiting for it to cure, or one side at a time.

Then, it's just a matter of sanding to shape, smoothing and blending in with the rest of the piece. You may find you need to add a little material to "sculpt" it into a better shape, just use thin layers of ABS cement to build it up.

Remember to keep aspects such as the edges bend in a little on the factory piece... and you should have no problem making it look "stock"...

Once you get it shaped right... switch to paint prep and paint the whole piece.

Krey
                93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                  Cut out a piece of ABS in the shape you want it. Sand the main fairing down to ABS plastic, and the ends of the piece your working on so that both are clean plastic showing. Use a rough grit (like 80 grit) just at the points of connection on both pieces.

Using ABS cement, put one side down and then make sure you have it held in place for 24 hours for it to cure. You can try doing the other side at the same time to reduce total time waiting for it to cure, or one side at a time.

Then, it's just a matter of sanding to shape, smoothing and blending in with the rest of the piece. You may find you need to add a little material to "sculpt" it into a better shape, just use thin layers of ABS cement to build it up.

Remember to keep aspects such as the edges bend in a little on the factory piece... and you should have no problem making it look "stock"...

Once you get it shaped right... switch to paint prep and paint the whole piece.

Krey
                  Thats pretty much the idea I had. I think what I'll do is make the new piece just a little bit longer say about 2" that way it will have a little more contact on the backside of the fairing. Also, where the main fairings kind of turn in just a little bit I think I will notch it out so its sort of locked in place. The way I have the mock up now is the ends butted to the fairing. I think it would be stronger if it came in behind it that way theres more contact area for the ABS glue to hold things in place.
                  Not sure if that makes sense to everyone but once I start I'll definitely take pics. And most definitely not going to cut the main fairing until I'm sure of the fitment. I know for sure its going to have to be curved like I said before so in order to do that I think maybe a little heat from a propane torch just to warm it up enough to mold it like I want will do the trick....unless someones got a better suggestion.
                  My main goal is definitely for it to look "stock".

Comment

Originally posted by copacetic View Post
                    Thats pretty much the idea I had. I think what I'll do is make the new piece just a little bit longer say about 2" that way it will have a little more contact on the backside of the fairing. Also, where the main fairings kind of turn in just a little bit I think I will notch it out so its sort of locked in place. The way I have the mock up now is the ends butted to the fairing. I think it would be stronger if it came in behind it that way theres more contact area for the ABS glue to hold things in place.
                    Not sure if that makes sense to everyone but once I start I'll definitely take pics. And most definitely not going to cut the main fairing until I'm sure of the fitment. I know for sure its going to have to be curved like I said before so in order to do that I think maybe a little heat from a propane torch just to warm it up enough to mold it like I want will do the trick....unless someones got a better suggestion.
                    My main goal is definitely for it to look "stock".
                    Don't use a torch... to high a heat to control well. You can get a heat gun cheap ($10 at harbor freight) to do the job, and much better controle over the heat.

As for the plan of attack on notching it out and having lapover on the back side... I think that's a GREAT idea...

Krey
                    93 750 Kat

Comment

I think it looks great....keep us posted on your progress!!!

Comment

Definitely interesting! Keep us posted.
                        sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
                        ------------------------------------------
                        89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
                        96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Nice
                          99 Ford F150 4x4
                          04 Mustang GT
                          2010 Camaro SS
                          06 GSX600F
                          sigpic

Comment

Okay I started doing a little bit of rough cutting and measuring. This is gonna be fun keeping it stock. I'm still working out in my head how to make things come together so it might take some time. One of the things I'm kinda having a problem working out is how to get a good smooth bend inward like the factory fairing. I'm talking about the 3/8"-1/2" bend inward around the perimeter. That's going to be necessary for two reasons. To tie everything together and for strenght. Any ideas?
                            Kreylyn: I know ya said no torch but I haven't been to town yet to get the heat gun...going tomorrow though. LOL.
                            On a test piece of abs being very careful I got it to bend pretty easy. the main thing is keeping it straight and uniform. Maybe if i clamp it between to pieces of wood and heat it with the heat gun while putting pressure...maybe that'll work. Sort of like a vinyl siding break. Anyways that's as far as I got so far. Should have time to work on it again tomorrow. In the mean time, it's time to hit tha sack.

Comment

it definitely looks cooler divided like that. great idea!
                              previous rides
                              06 kat 600, 04 Triumph ST Streetfighter, 07 Vstar 1100, 03 GSXR 750, 03 Hayabusa, 07 SV 1000 , 02 Bandit 1200s, Current ride - 07 Roadliner 1900,
                              next ride - another kat

Comment

Working...
                              X